Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

DM Control of Player's Map View

With dynamic lighting or fog of war enabled, players often see, initially, a black map. Their tokens may be located anywhere on this map and sometimes have trouble locating their initial placement. I know this is resolved simply by asking the players to zoom out and then instruct them to look to the bottom left, or center right side, or whatever, but it would be nice to have the initial map view set to coincide with the location of their tokens (instead of just defaulting to the top left corner of the new map), or to allow the DM to just click a button to cause all the players map view to move to the location of their tokens.Just a thought.
Shane D. said: ... to allow the DM to just click a button to cause all the players map view to move to the location of their tokens.Just a thought. Hold shift, left-click and hold it down for a moment. This is called "Shift-Pinging" and will center all views on the location so marked. If it's done without the shift (Pinging) it shows a colored circle to all viewers, even through dynamic lighting and fog of war. I think.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
As the feature you are requesting already exists (shift-pinging), I will move this out of Suggestions so your vote will be refunded.  :)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's a good idea to give player tokens 5'-10' dim light, so they are never dealing with a fully black screen.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
G G said: It's a good idea to give player tokens 5'-10' dim light, so they are never dealing with a fully black screen. It also nicely simulates "groping around in the darkness". You are aware of walls and bodies next to you and so forth.
Excellent! Thanks for all the replies!
You should have players use Alt+Scroll wheel more often. If they're practiced enough in zooming in and out a lot it's easier to but in map notes they may want to see, even in 8pt font.