Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

can anyone tell me how to make an HTML text area defaulted as closed down

Can anyone tell me how to make an HTML text area defaulted as closed down <textarea name="attr_notes"></textarea> Thank you in advance Ara
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
What do you mean by closed down? Uneditable? Minimized? defaulting to a certain height/width?
The default for textbox leaves like three spaces. I want it to default to either shrunk all the way down or 1 line. 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ah, that's just CSS (most basic verssion shown): textarea{      height: 1 rem; }

Edited 1539967271
Hey Scott,  That does not seem to be working. I am totally new to programming and trying to make a character sheet for a game I designed over the last 20 years. I'm sorry for the simple being lol for me not so simple as I am trying through a lot of trial and error to make a character sheet in HTML. This is the section I am working on. It is the last line at the bottom. The text area defaults to having like 10 lines of space. I really want an area that heroics abilities(feats) and spell information can be entered and then shut down. This is the only way with my limited ability I could figure out how to do it.  Thanks for taking the time, Scott E.     <b>Heroic Abilities Section</b>   <br>   <b style='display: inline-block; width: 16em;'>HeroicName</b>   <b style='display: inline-block; width: 6em;'>HeroicType</b>   <b style='display: inline-block; width: 23em;'>HeroicGeneralDescription</b>   <b style='display: inline-block; width: 5em;'>HeroicCost</b>   <br>     </fieldset>   <fieldset class=repeating_Spells>     <input type=text name=attr_Heroicname style='width: 16em;'>     <input type=text name=attr_HeroicType style='width: 6em;'>     <input type=text name=attr_HeroicGeneralDescription style='width: 23em;'>     <input type=text name=attr_HeroicCost style='width: 5em;'>      <textarea{height: 1 Rem} name="attr_heroicnotes"></textarea>   </fieldset>

Edited 1539967720
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
ah, sorry, what I posted was CSS (a language separate from, but works in concert with, HTML). You need to either put it in the html as inline css (the format will change from what I posted), or put it in the css tab of the character sheet edit panel (use the format I posted). You can read about CSS in several places. I personally like the organization on w3schools , although others don't like the site at all. I would also recommend looking for tutorials online about html and css as you really need both of them to code a character sheet. For this instance, inline CSS is probably the better way to go. Inline CSS is like the style='...' that you already have in some of your elements. So, change your textarea element to be this:  <textarea style='height: 1 rem' name="attr_heroicnotes"></textarea> I would also highly recommend surrounding all of the element attribute values in at least single quotes (the roll20 parser will turn them into doubles in html that is actually used). This is things like type=text, which should be type='text'.
Thanks so much, I started with basic HTML as I figured CSS was very different and more complex. The sheet and I are a work in progress.
Still no change, hehe I see why programmers make good money lol this can be frustrating.

Edited 1539970505
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
ah, looks like rem isn't working there, change it to 1 em or 20 px.
 Tried both of these, no change.            <textarea style='height: 20 px' name="attr_heroicnotes"></textarea>           <textarea style='height: 1 em' name="attr_heroicnotes"></textarea>
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
remove the spaces between the number and the unit.
hat did it Scott thank you so much for the help!