Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Automatic link detection for handouts

Kai
Plus
Sheet Author
Hey there. I just started using R20 as campaign management software for a combination of face-to-face and online game. I used Realmworks before and the only thing I really miss is the automatic link detection Realmworks provides. So if I use for example the expression 'Bad Villain' in the text of one of my handouts and there is a handout with the title 'Bad Villain' it sets a link to that handout. Is this possible with R20? With API perhaps? Thanks in advance.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If a handout already exists with the name Bad Villain, and you edit a handout and enter the text [Bad Villain] (with the square brackets), when you save the handout that text will become a link.
Kai
Plus
Sheet Author
Thanks for your answer. I know that. Seems I did not make clear, what I want to achieve. Sorry, but I am not a native speaker. An example. I have an handout, let's say named "The Story so far". In it a lot of text that mentions multiple other handouts by name. I don't want to set the brackets [ ] manually for every mention of every handout, I want that to be automatic. Ideally every time I save my changes the text is checked if there are words that match handout names and that words are set in brackets to create a link. I hope this makes it clearer.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That could be done with an API script. I’m not aware of one written for it, but I can probably make you one over the weekend. I’ll try to remember, or you can send me a private message as a reminder. 

Edited 1539956059
Kai
Plus
Sheet Author
Thanks Aaron, I appreciate this. I will send you a reminder over the course of the weekend. This will be a useful addition to Roll20. Would this work not only with handouts but also with characters?

Edited 1539956590
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Auto indexing? That's a pretty cool idea. It would be even cooler if it could cycle through all handouts in a game, open or closed. That way if you later create a handout for, say, "red dragons", all instances of "red dragons" in existing handouts would subsequently be linked.
Kai
Plus
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: Auto indexing? That's a pretty cool idea. It would be even cooler if it could cycle through all handouts in a game, open or closed. That way if you later create a handout for, say, "red dragons", all instances of "red dragons" in existing handouts would subsequently be linked. That is exactly what I am dreaming of. :-)