Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Image tokens as handouts?

Apologies if this is covered in an existing set of documentation. I've tried to find it without success. Is it possible to create a token that isn't a character but that has the functionality of the handout built into it? I'm using the ordinary handouts for most items, but want to have a few handouts linked from token images on the splash page of my campaign. Right now, it seems like you either create a regular handout that doesn't exist on a given map, or you drag an image onto a map, but can't treat it as a handout. As a workaround, I suppose I could use the bio section of an image token to store information, but that seems a bit ugly.  Thoughts? Does a script exist for this?

Edited 1539978044
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
From the Stupid Tricks thread, try: Map Pins Invisible Tokens - The Notes Token Invisible Tokens - The Notes Token (API version) I need to make a video on Map Pins, I've come up with a lot of variants, some API-driven, some not. I think Map Pins is probably what you are looking for, though.
Thank you for the quick reply!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Let me know if you decide to go with any of these approaches. I'd be happy to help with any questions.
Tried the Map Pins tonight and it worked. Thank you! It's a bit odd to have a character and a handout for the same item, but I can live with it, especially since I don't plan to use these pins for anything but critical stuff on the landing page (a page for players to keep track of their quests and open issues, etc.). 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just remember that you can have dozens of handouts but you only need one character sheet, which can have any number of tokens assigned to it.
Ahh, thank you. That wasn't clear to me. I'll update the name for that character sheet and use it as a master for all map pin handouts from now on.