Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Interesting Macros

Edited 1540130593
After getting help from some of the resident experts it has made we wonder if there is a shortlist of sorts of useful macros. Looking at the older posts I see Keithcurtis, Aranador, Kraynic etc. You guys have helped a lot of people thus my question: "Is there a short list of useful macros that a novice can easily implement somewhere?". I have been running a 5e game as I work toward getting my own system playable online.  Thanks in advance for any direction you can give.  Ara
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It's not exactly short, but Keith made a wonderful aggregation post for stupid/clever tricks people have discovered. This is everything from macros to novel ways to use Roll20. It's probably not exactly what you were looking for, but should have some good info.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
For me, macros have been a constant learning experience.&nbsp; And, due to differences between character sheets, the macro needs across people playing the same system can be different.&nbsp; I am in a couple PF games using the Cazra sheet which has less automation, so I needed a macro to generate channel healing/damage for my cleric and the save DC if using it for damage.&nbsp; Most other PF games I have been in use a sheet that allows adding that ability as a class ability, so I don't need to create my own macro.&nbsp; One DM didn't use any of the automated sheets at all, and just had a grid based custom sheet.&nbsp; Everything I did in that game was from custom macros. Macro info is spread around the wiki, and you might get inspiration from any of these: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros</a> <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Useful_Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Useful_Macros</a> <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros/Pathfinder_Examples" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros/Pathfinder_Examples</a> Even macros that aren't for the system you are playing might showcase something useful.&nbsp; There may be more pages in the wiki, but those are the ones I have drawn inspiration from. Beyond that, what you wish to see as a DM/GM/Player may be different than other people.&nbsp; Just from a recent thread, some would like to just see if a skill roll is a success or failure, if it is in a system that uses a success rating instead of a skill bonus.&nbsp; I prefer to see the roll and the normal target number displayed so I (as DM) can add any situational modifiers on the fly. I'm not sure if any of this has been helpful, but hopefully you will find something of use on those pages.&nbsp; I feel like I still have quite a lot to learn about Roll20, so it is a surprise to be referenced as someone to ask about macros.&nbsp; :-P
Thank you guys very much for the direction!
Yah alas my macro skills are all for the DnD 4e sheet - and while tricks I have learned could be adapted, I don't have a handy dandy list of macros I could provide.&nbsp; I did write a tutorial for 4e macro cards, but again it is system specific and probably not that well written.&nbsp; My best talent is 'out of the box' thinking for ways to do things that are not 'normal' - such as using an inline dice roll to be a tool tip :P
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Aranador said: My best talent is 'out of the box' thinking for ways to do things that are not 'normal' - such as using an inline dice roll to be a tool tip :P That's just the sort of thing that the Stupid Tricks thread was written for! Feel free to post out-of-the box thinking.
Hey guys, trying to change the Font in HTML for the top of my character sheet and does not seem to work. I got the characters to be larger but can't seem to get the font style to change. Here it is can anyone tell me what I need to do? &nbsp; &lt;h2&gt;&lt;b&gt;&lt;/b&gt;&lt;text style='height: 10x' name="attr_Sheet_Header"&gt; Alattra High Fantasy&lt;/text&gt;&lt;b/&gt;&lt;/h2&gt;
keithcurtis said: Aranador said: My best talent is 'out of the box' thinking for ways to do things that are not 'normal' - such as using an inline dice roll to be a tool tip :P That's just the sort of thing that the Stupid Tricks thread was written for! Feel free to post out-of-the box thinking. Indeed, that tip is in there, and I am unnecessarily proud of it too :P
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Aramathis said: Hey guys, trying to change the Font in HTML for the top of my character sheet and does not seem to work. I got the characters to be larger but can't seem to get the font style to change. Here it is can anyone tell me what I need to do? &nbsp; &lt;h2&gt;&lt;b&gt;&lt;/b&gt;&lt;text style='height: 10x' name="attr_Sheet_Header"&gt; Alattra High Fantasy&lt;/text&gt;&lt;b/&gt;&lt;/h2&gt; Well, there's a couple things. First, in order to change the font family, you need to style it that way: &lt;h2&gt;&lt;b&gt;&lt;/b&gt;&lt;text style='height: 10x; font-family:Arial ' name="attr_Sheet_Header"&gt; Alattra High Fantasy&lt;/text&gt;&lt;b/&gt;&lt;/h2&gt; Note that using fonts that are not commonly available on computers (otherwise known as websafe fonts) or are not provided by Roll20 does not really work (see the suggestion for google fonts for more info). In addition, I'm not sure your html will work. You seem to be trying to make a text element that is a sheet attribute, but sheet attributes can only be a span (aka attribute backed spans), input, or textarea. You also mention that this is supposed to be the header for your sheet, so I'm not sure why you'd want it to be an attribute anyways. I think what you actually want is this: &lt;h2 style='height: 10x; font-family:Arial;font-weight:700; '&gt;Alattra High Fantasy&lt;/h2&gt; I would additionally recommend using non inline css for this so that you can make all your headers look the same. And, finally, this is really more worthy of a new thread, but this is your thread, so it's up to you.
Thank you again, I will make a new post if I ask anything else