Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Do you use a GM Screen?

Edited 1393994080
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Hello, I'm relatively new to role playing games and in a few weeks i'll be the GM of a new campaign for D&D Next with a few of my friends not online. I have never been a GM before so i'm reading pretty much everything there is to read at the moment on 5e (playtest); we wanted to start before its release. So my question is: Do you use a GM Screen? and if so, What information do you usually add? Bonus question, any particular tips you think might help a new GM? Bonus question 2, are there any tools/software you use to aid you? (Like Masterplan, a Map generator, etc.) Thank you! Nick
There are a few home made screens online like this one here. <a href="https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1pigif7MhHVVUpzV1ZrSHJPTVk/edit" rel="nofollow">https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1pigif7MhHVVUpzV1ZrSHJPTVk/edit</a> I use screens or in the case of roll20 handouts for reference aids during play, but I don't roll behind them normally. The only time I might do that is if they would not know the answer to the roll like a perception check, but since I mostly just use passive checks of 10+modifier for things like that unless the player says otherwise that hardly ever comes up. Rolling behind the screen promotes the idea that the DM will lie about die rolls in my experience, I prefer the dice lie as they fall for both DM and players, nothing like casting a save or suck/die spell on the big boss round 1, and him going down. The problem is a lot of DM's if they roll behind a screen will feel like they should fudge the monsters saving throw so the battle he spent time preparing wont be over so fast. So yes to using them as a quick reference, no to hiding dice rolls behind them.
Yes, I do. You shouldn't really have need to "hide" your dice(Except to hide opposed strength). Easy reference is essential though. Depending on how permissible fudging it is. Ok in a narrative, less so when players are scrambling for that extra 5% chance of hitting. You REALLY want it when lots of situational modifiers start adding up. "Ganging Up" or flanking, equipment, darkness, range, size, etc...

Edited 1394063111
Roll visibly if ALL of these are true: 1. They know that they are being affected by something 2. They know what they are being affected by 3. The roll doesn't let them assess more about the nature or threat than they already know. Do not roll visibly if ANY of these are true: 1. They would otherwise not know there is a roll happening. (Perception to notice something is watching/nearby that isn't revealing itself) 2. They don't know they are subject to something. (Their thoughts are being read from afar.) 3. They don't know if what they're subject to is succeeding based on what would happen immediately afterward. (A nanoswarm is dissolving the synth-diamond shell of their cortical stack over a number of hours.)
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Thanks for the tips guys, i really appreciate the help! I'm at the moment quite interested in what kind of information would you add to the screen for quick reference, and any tools you might use for your campaigns? Thanks again! Nick.
Mostly just rules you reference in game play, here are a few that come to mind. Conditions Death save rules Skill DC's Rules for special actions like disengage, etc.. Things I would not put on one, but that I have seen on others are things like prices for items and weapon/armor charts all that is kinda pointless to need to look up in the middle of an encounter.
Due to much of the content of this thread being off-topic for our site, it has been closed.. We only permit discussion that is specific to Roll20 (which you can read about in our Code of Conduct ). Since this is a general RPG discussion, you'd be better served having it on a general RPG site, like reddit.com/r/rpg.