Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character Inventory Feature?

Edited 1541005332
Matt
Pro
Hey there! This is the first time I've ventured to go and create my own topic... I'm a VERY satisfied Roll20 user, for years now. I've been using Roll20 to manage games for my in-person tabletop group and it really helps keep everyone organized and focused on the fun.  Lately, I've been trying a thing that I thought I would present here on the forums and see if maybe I'm doing this the wrong way, or if there's a more efficient way out there, or if Roll20 is working on implementing something better than what I've come up with. I've been using the journal's Handouts feature to create inventory items so that my players have access to a kind of graphical inventory. Using various icons culled from the internet as the handout's graphic, and then descriptive text within the handout itself, players can view weapon stats, magical item powers or how many hit points a potion will restore by clicking on the item. It works great but takes a LOT of prep, and is not very friendly to improvisation. Like, you know, for those times when one of your players decides to pick up a butter knife from the kitchen and you weren't expecting them to do that. As a kind of a half-way measure, each character also has a backpack in their inventory that contains the improv and mundane items that I either don't anticipate them picking up, or that I don't think are worth having a whole handout dedicated to them. (like extra changes of clothes, or butter knives, or a rib picked up from one of the piles of bones littering a dungeon floor that one character thought might make an excellent shiv) So when unexpected stuff is picked up, rather than fish for an appropriate icon for it and then create a new handout, I just edit the Backpack handout's text and list the interesting and unexpected item among the things the character has with them. My method is also not the best for things that are consumable or that a character might have multiples of, like potions. Duplicating a handout sends it to the bottom of my journal list (and my journal list of things is long), and appends a "copy of" to the front of the handout name – where, in this case, it would actually be better if my copy of a Potion of Extra Healing had the same name as the original I duped. (and also stayed in the character's inventory folder instead of going to the bottom of the general journal directory) So what do you think? Am I really clever, or am I doing this entirely the worst and least efficient way possible? (note that I'm not using any special character sheet add-ons in this game; character sheets are just basic text using Roll20's built-in Characters feature)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can look into these Stupid Tricks : Inventory Container Sheet Deck of Cards to Track Player Resources Player Vault pages/ UI Pages  (to manage cards & equipment) Managing Magic Items With Handouts Be sure to read any shortly following posts for suggestions and refinements. These days, I use handouts for magic items, and card decks for consumables.
If you're looking for a somewhat inefficient, labor-intensive, but fun and pretty way to graphically represent inventory, there's also a few scripts that do this: Inventory Manager Inventory Manager, Slim Graphic Inventory Manager They're all pretty similar, but with their own little tweaks.  I personally had the best luck with the "Slim" version.  Be advised that it requires a lot of setup work, and I don't even know if the people who wrote these scripts are still active on Roll 20, but if you get it to work, it can be a lot of fun to use.  Your mileage may vary.  I basically stopped using it when we moved to a character sheet that tracked all the things I was trying to track with the inventory manager.