Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e Shaped]

Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
19.1.3 Bug fixes #766: Warlock spell slots not updating when level changed #767: Higher level spell queries are not updated as spells are expended

Edited 1535720640
Hello Kryx, thank you for your amazing sheets! If at all possible, could it be possible for you to add back in the "folding" of the NPC sheets as you resize them? I found it invaluable as a DM to be able to resize the sheets (making them less wide but longer) when I had a number of different monsters on the screen and in general really for keeping the monster sheets out of the way and not taking up as much of the valuable screen space. The content outside of the core stat blocks, such as Actions etc., would then fold or flow underneath the main stat block and you could scroll down to see things there. Sincerely, Styrmir.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Please always use the issue tracker.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Styrmir said: Hello Kryx, thank you for your amazing sheets! If at all possible, could it be possible for you to add back in the "folding" of the NPC sheets as you resize them? I found it invaluable as a DM to be able to resize the sheets (making them less wide but longer) when I had a number of different monsters on the screen and in general really for keeping the monster sheets out of the way and not taking up as much of the valuable screen space. The content outside of the core stat blocks, such as Actions etc., would then fold or flow underneath the main stat block and you could scroll down to see things there. Sincerely, Styrmir. You might be interested in this Stupid Trick: Popout sheets/handouts into tabs (Chrome)  - Mik Holmes ( More info  by Malachi and Blue 64)
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I wouldn't recommend always popping out sheets. Popped out sheets are not well supported and many things no longer work (dragging from compendium, certain css rules).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I was thinking more for in-game reference, but I see your point. Styrmir, have you tried the excellent Quick Chat Macros built into the sheet? %{selected|shaped_statblock} Does wonders, and there a number more that might keep you from ever having to open a sheet mid-game.
I'm having some trouble with tracking Spell Points. It seems to be tracking the Spell Slots in the background, even though they're toggled off. So when my Sorcerer gets to the end of his Spell Points, it doesn't give the "Slots Police" warning in chat, because it's using those Slots in the background that shouldn't be there.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Malachi, Automatic tracking of slots/points is done by the scipt. Please post an issue on the script issue tracker (<a href="https://bitbucket.org/mlenser/5eshapedscript/src/master" rel="nofollow">https://bitbucket.org/mlenser/5eshapedscript/src/master</a>) with steps to reproduce.
Thank you Keith, I'll have a look at that! Seems like a lot of interesting options are available through the macros linking into the sheets.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have some of those on universal buttons. They really speed game play and are one of the (many) strengths of the sheet.
Styrmir said: Hello Kryx, thank you for your amazing sheets! If at all possible, could it be possible for you to add back in the "folding" of the NPC sheets as you resize them? I found it invaluable as a DM to be able to resize the sheets (making them less wide but longer) when I had a number of different monsters on the screen and in general really for keeping the monster sheets out of the way and not taking up as much of the valuable screen space. The content outside of the core stat blocks, such as Actions etc., would then fold or flow underneath the main stat block and you could scroll down to see things there. Sincerely, Styrmir. I just double-click on the top of the sheet and it minimizes to the VTT, ready for when I need it. I stack them near the toolbar because they can be hard to find. That, and token action buttons that call the sheets macros...&nbsp;
keithcurtis said: I have some of those on universal buttons. They really speed game play and are one of the (many) strengths of the sheet. This feature saved our gm when he was trying to open a lot of sheets. This sheet is the best!
Hello Kryx, I love you for all the amazing work you've been doing on this great sheet, it's just incredibly powerful. That said, I was looking into a way to make hexblade's curse work, without having to manually change my crit range everytime. The simplest solution would just be duplicating the attacks, but that can get quite cluttered. So my next idea had to do with modifiers. I created an empty modifier and made a formula to output 20 or 19 respectively, depending on whether or not the modifier was active. Sadly I then couldn't get the repeating sections to access that information, because the crit range field is only a number field. Do you think it's possible to change it to a text field, or will that create more problems than it will solve? Sincerely, Felix

Edited 1536484556
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi HighDex, On the issue tracker you'll see #559: Adding a Crit Range Modifier to the Modifers Section which is asking for the implementation you seek. Until that is done (if it is) I'd recommend adding multiple of the same weapon.
Is it possible to use the 5e Shaped sheet with the characters that come with "The Master's Vault" module?&nbsp; ie should it correctly import/convert the pre-defined characters? I created a new game and selected "The Master's Vault" module, then selected the "D&amp;D 5E (Shaped)" character sheet. Initially it seemed to work, but when I looked more closely at the character sheets for the pre-defined characters I noticed the following problems: The Dwarf Fighter shows up as an NPC and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it. There's no skills listed and doesn't seem to be a way to add them -- the +Add button doesn't appear to work. There's no class or level defined for any of the pre-defined characters - this may be the source of several issues. There's no Class Features listed for any of the pre-defined characters - adding the Class/Level does appear to fix this. There's no Racial Traits defined even though the Race is defined. The Saving Throws don't include the proficiency bonus - checking the correct ones does work and manually setting the Class works. There's no weapons, armor or other equipment&nbsp; for any of the pre-defined characters - dragging from Compendium works. There's no Proficiencies or Languages defined for any of the pre-defined characters - dragging from Compendium does NOT work. There's no Background listed for any of the pre-defined characters. There's no spells listed for the Tiefling Bard, Human Cleric or Elf Wizard. The Dwarf Fighter shows up as an NPC and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it. It looks like most of these things can be manually fixed, eg setting the Class fixes some things and dragging weapons, armor and spells from the Compendium does work.&nbsp;&nbsp; But the first two things, I couldn't figure out any manual way to fix them: Dwarf Fighter listed as an NPC... can't find any way to change it. No Skills and no way to add them - Add button doesn't work and dragging a Proficiency (eg. Medicine) doesn't do anything. FYI.&nbsp; I also tried creating a new sheet and that does display the Skills correctly (although the Add button still doesn't work -- there's no need to use it since all the Skills are listed).&nbsp; So at least for that, the problem appears to be related to the pre-defined characters from The Master's Vault module.&nbsp; But even with this new character I was still not able to drag a Proficiency (eg. Slieight of Hand).&nbsp; Also, no Racial Traits are defined.&nbsp; For example, I set the Class to Wizard and the Race to High Elf, which should increase the Intelligence by 1.&nbsp; Perhaps that's because the Race field is free form and not a drop-down and therefore there are no pre-defined rules for the Races? Thanks for any help.

Edited 1537035315
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Shaped ports all OGL formatted NPCs without issue that I know of (if you encounter an issue please use the issue tracker). PCs, however, do not convert from OGL to Shaped. There hasn't been a demand for the it in the past and the effort likely isn't small. NPC can be toggled in the bottom right.
Kryx said: Shaped ports all OGL formatted NPCs without issue that I know of (if you encounter an issue please use the issue tracker). PCs, however, do not convert from OGL to Shaped. There hasn't been a demand for the it in the past and the effort likely isn't small. NPC can be toggled in the bottom right. OK.&nbsp;&nbsp; I can manually fix the PCs, except for the fact the Skills don't work at all.&nbsp;&nbsp; Any idea why that is?&nbsp;&nbsp; Is the only option to start from scratch? Toggling the Dwarf Fighter from NPC to PC did work AND the Skills are visible for it, but still not for any of the other PCs.&nbsp;&nbsp; I even tried Toggling one of the other PCs to NPC and then back to PC, but it didn't help. Also, even with a new sheet the Race traits aren't set.&nbsp; Is that by design?&nbsp;&nbsp; Do all Race traits need to be manually adjusted?
Hello Kryx, i was wondering, can i export manually entered custom spells into JSON like format, readable by your Shaped Scripts ?
Export? Not with the sheet. The companion can use JSON to include custom but doesn't export such.

Edited 1537188380
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Fjölnir said: OK.&nbsp;&nbsp; I can manually fix the PCs, except for the fact the Skills don't work at all.&nbsp;&nbsp; Any idea why that is?&nbsp;&nbsp; Is the only option to start from scratch? Toggling the Dwarf Fighter from NPC to PC did work AND the Skills are visible for it, but still not for any of the other PCs.&nbsp;&nbsp; I even tried Toggling one of the other PCs to NPC and then back to PC, but it didn't help. Also, even with a new sheet the Race traits aren't set.&nbsp; Is that by design?&nbsp;&nbsp; Do all Race traits need to be manually adjusted? PCs converting from OGL are unsupported. Everything beyond that is up to you. I wouldn't necessarily recommend using a partially converted PC, but it may work. If skills don't show you can regenerate them via a button on the sheet in edit mode. Alpha Team DM said: Hello Kryx, i was wondering, can i export manually entered custom spells into JSON like format, readable by your Shaped Scripts ? As Modnar said the sheet can not export. The script could possibly add such functionality, but that would be difficult to get things back in an SRD format.
Thanks for your answer, i think i understand what you mean.

Edited 1537360501
Not sure if this has been asked before, is there currently any way of setting up exploding dice rolls for damage rolls with the 5E shaped sheet?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You need to turn on dice modifiers in the Actions panel of the sheet settings. That will allow you to put in more complicated dice expressions.
Thanks Keith, that one went completely unnoticed by me :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There are a lot of options on that page, in very tiny type. :)
When I use the NPC "Spellcasting" macro, it shows all the spells for that NPC in the chat window.&nbsp; Is there any way to display (presumably as a pop-up) the spell description by hovering (or maybe a right click?, shift-click?) over the spell name listed in the chat window? I know this can be done by opening the character sheet and hovering over the spell name, but I was trying to avoid the need to open the character sheet.&nbsp; I drag the "Spellcasting" macro from the character sheet to the macro bar, then click on the macro to see the list of spells in the chat window.&nbsp; Only thing missing is the description of each spell. Similarly, it would nice if a pop-up like that worked for the Actions/Statblock macros.&nbsp;&nbsp; ie, IN the chat window, after running either the Actions or Statblock, macro, if you hover over the action (eg "bite", "shortsword", etc).&nbsp; It would show a pop-up with the description for that action.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you have suggestions for the sheet please use the issue tracker.

Edited 1537832541
I'm trying to create some single use macros to do an ability (skills) check, but with a bit of flavor in the text for the specific situation.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; There's a few things I can't seem to figure out. 1. Using the shaped template how do I do an ability check in the same way I can do a saving throw?&nbsp;&nbsp; Here's an example: &amp;{template:5e-shaped} {{title=Intelligence Test}} {{text_top=Description of the "test" with in game specifics.}} {{ability=1}} {{saving_throw_dc=13}} {{saving_throw_vs_ability=INTELLIGENCE}} {{saving_throw_success=Appropriate text for a successful outcome.}} {{content=*Saving throw failure*: Appropriate text for a failed outcome.}} This works for a saving throw... and the link for "Intelligence" rolls for a saving throw, but I want an ability check.&nbsp;&nbsp; The same thing I would get if I clicked on the "Statblock" macro in the character sheet and then clicked on "Int" under the "Abilities" section.&nbsp; I assumed the "{{ability=1}}"&nbsp; field is what switches it from saving throw to ability check, but that doesn't seem to do anything.&nbsp; What am I doing wrong? 2. Now, what I REALLY want to do is a skills check (eg, Investigation, Arcana, Acrobatics, Perception, etc).... is there a way to do that using the template? 3. And finally, what I really, REALLY want.&nbsp;&nbsp; Is to have a macro where I can include some specific intro text, then include a skills check and based on the outcome of the check display different results.&nbsp;&nbsp; This could be a 2 step process.&nbsp; ie. PC clicks on the macro and it displays the intro text along with a link for the skills check.&nbsp; When the PC clicks the link, the result is displayed along with different text based on if the check beat the DC value.&nbsp; So, as a very simple example: PC clicks on a macro created for a specific situation.&nbsp;&nbsp; The macro displays something like: Gandalf looks all around the pedestal for any hidden features. DC 15 Investigation ability check The PC clicks on the "Investigation" link: Investigation (INT) [5] Gandalf doesn't find anything... it just looks like a plain old pedestal. OR.... Investigation (INT) [17] Gandalf finds a secret lock hidden under the pedestal top. Thanks for any help.
<a href="https://bitbucket.org/mlenser/5eshaped/wiki/Home" rel="nofollow">https://bitbucket.org/mlenser/5eshaped/wiki/Home</a> &nbsp;&nbsp; Has the oversight for the built-in&nbsp;commands and fields @{ &lt;name&gt; |output_option} &amp;{template:5e-shaped} {{ability=1}} {{character_name=@{ &lt;name&gt; |character_name}}} @{ &lt;name&gt; |show_character_name} {{title=Acrobatics (^{DEX})}} {{@{ &lt;name&gt; |repeating_skill_-lmxb7zytl-jxgd7e3hv_skill_d20}=1}} {{roll1=[[@{ &lt;name&gt; |repeating_skill_-lmxb7zytl-jxgd7e3hv_skill_d20_wrap} + 2[jack of all trades] + 0[dex]]]}} @{ &lt;name&gt; |hide_gm_info} @{ &lt;name&gt; |attacher_skill} replace &lt;name&gt; with the character's name) You can get a specific example for each skill by either making the ability check and then pressing the Up arrow in chat. Or by using the companion script to generate the code for you. From what you've shared the most difficult issue is going to be the resolution of the conditional element (knowing what the DC is, and then that the roll exceeded such). What's pretty easy is to just put the&nbsp;result of the roll next to the DC and allow the DM to decide the outcome. You're going to need to define the DC for those test during or before the Macro's execution, and from a 'flow' perspective, its often better to allow the DM to judge the relative success and failure events, more so with the specific examples you're giving as the SUBJECT to which the checks are being tested is part of that (eg. A pedestal (its shape, its prepositional accessibility (under the top, around it etc)&nbsp; - a wall would be improbable to be looked under its top, but a chest would be, so the relative results would need to be interpreted&nbsp;by the DM for their specific functional success. If you're attempting to make a solo run adventure - 1 person and the game effectively moderates itself via automation...&nbsp; You should be using powercards and tokenMod to automate much of this (and I'd suggest looking up "Speech Balloon") TL;DR version - Rolling for a success is possible, Rolling for a success in which there would be effectively a condition "if then else" really moves to the fringe/outside of the Roll20 basic scripting language behind macros and you'll need to look into APIs.

Edited 1537916673
First, thanks very much for the example.&nbsp; For me at least, a real example goes a long way towards explaining something and it I lead me down the right path. BTW.&nbsp; I'm not trying to make a reusable macro.&nbsp;&nbsp; For my purposes I'm just trying to: create a macro for each PC with different wording for a specific situation - these are intended as one-time use macros I know the DC and all text before hand.&nbsp; only thing I don't know is will the PC pass the test or not (based on the roll) try different ways to present in-game stuff... this is just one way -- an experiment learn how to make macros and what things I *might* be able to do, maybe I learn something that will be helpful in the future So, this is what I came up with.&nbsp;&nbsp; It's not exactly what I want, because it still shows the text for both success and failure, but it's ok.&nbsp; I would still like to figure out if I could display only the success or failure text after the PC clicks on the "Skill" link.&nbsp; In other words, remove the pass/fail text from the 1st message and have only pass OR fail text displayed on the 2nd message along with the outcome of the roll, but from your previous comments, it sounds like that's not really possible using just macros. &amp;{template:5e-shaped} {{title=Examine Pedestal}} {{show_character_name=1}} {{character_name=@{selected|character_name}}} {{text_top=@{selected|token_name} looks all around the pedestal for any hidden features...}} {{text_big=DC 15 [Investigation](!&amp;#13;&amp;#37;{-LMcOC5F_QnAKOthxYB4|repeating_skill_-lmcobgu7ft2tzmgykfy_skill}) check.}} {{content=If successful, @{selected|token_name} finds a secret lock hidden under the pedestal top.}} {{text=If not successful, @{selected|token_name} doesn't find anything... it just looks like a plain old pedestal.}} {{freetext=To see the outcome, @{selected|token_name} needs to click the ``**red**`` link above.}}
you'll want to look at Powercards&nbsp;API, last I read it was abandoned, but it'll do what you want.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Still very much alive :) Modnar Wylde said: you'll want to look at Powercards&nbsp;API, last I read it was abandoned, but it'll do what you want.
-- long live/love Powercards.&nbsp; Kurt Jaegers&nbsp;took over? That's awesome!&nbsp;&nbsp; Fjölnir&nbsp;it has all the powers you are seeking, and then some.
I'm feeling kinda dumb at the moment but I'm going to ask anyway... I've been searching the forums for hours and perhaps it is just common sense that I can't seem to figure out using my own common sense... Sigh... anyway I'm trying to get the spells for my characters to correctly track with the companion script API, but apparently I can't get the uses right... Someone please help me with this entirely too blonde moment please.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you use uses, they are no longer tracked as slots. Uses are for things like the Tiefling's Hellish Rebuke 1/day ability.
keithcurtis said: If you use uses, they are no longer tracked as slots. Uses are for things like the Tiefling's Hellish Rebuke 1/day ability. Excellent! No wonder it was being stupid. Thanks for the quick reply Keith
Modnar Wylde said: you'll want to look at Powercards&nbsp;API, last I read it was abandoned, but it'll do what you want. Thanks for the suggestion... unfortunately, I don't have access to API scripts (no pro account)... still just starting out.&nbsp; If we end up playing more, I may decide to get a pro account, it definitely seems like it makes some nice features available.&nbsp; I did look over the Powercards doc and can see how that would be very useful. In the mean time, I ended up going the poor man route.&nbsp;&nbsp; I changed my previous example into a "3 macros / event" set (yes... quite cumbersome).&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In this alternate approach, the main macro is marked as a token action the PC executes.&nbsp; In essence, this main macro IS the ability check.&nbsp; It contains the custom introductory text along with the DC for the ability check and the outcome of the ability check.&nbsp; At the very bottom of the box it says "PASS? or FAIL?", where "PASS" and "FAIL" are each a link to a separate macro.&nbsp;&nbsp; The PC then needs to click on whichever link applies based on the DC vs [check] result.&nbsp; That will execute a separate macro with the appropriate PASS or FAIL text.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Don't know how often I'll actually use this approach but it was interesting to figure it out and I learned a few things in the process, so that's something.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
These questions are very specific and not really about Shaped anymore. Please use a new thread.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
19.1.4 Bug fixes #772: Drag and Drop of spells ceases to function after attempting the "Heal" spell &nbsp;and add a test
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
19.1.5 Bug fixes #775: Spell data not converting for NPCs and Monster spellcasters on premade campaign

Edited 1541861298
Quick question: How could I use the uses remaining / max a Paladin's Lay on Hands class feature as a token bar? I've managed to pull the correct values from the sheet, creating a new attribute with @{repeating_classfeature_$1_uses} as the 1st value and @{repeating_classfeature_$1_uses|max} as the second, but the changes to the bar don't update the sheet.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can't. Roll20 doesn't allow repeating sections in token bars.
Hey, poking at this sheet. Couple of problems I can't figure out. Is there a way to disable the background images? They seem to lag up the sheet massively for me. Or maybe some way to block them with custom CSS (idk the file names and am not sure how to extract them when it comes to roll20). And can the text size be increased without having to use zoom? The sheet looks cool and a lot of DMs prefer it. I'd like to be able to use it, but these two factors really drive me away a lot. Sorry if this comes off as rude or demanding, not trying. I get if it's not available or feasible stuff.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I have heard no reports of images lagging a sheet. It is more likely that you have too many monsters or spells - that is a common problem with Roll20 sheets. Text size can be increased in your browser's settings. You can also zoom with your browser (Control and +) or you can also zoom with Roll20.
I just made a game so it's empty of everything except blank character sheets. The same kind of lag happened with OGL's "style" update. It started lagging up the sheet, so I had to shut off the images. Oof.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can try a chrome extension to block images.

Edited 1542038426
Kryx said: I have heard no reports of images lagging a sheet. It is more likely that you have too many monsters or spells - that is a common problem with Roll20 sheets. Text size can be increased in your browser's settings. You can also zoom with your browser (Control and +) or you can also zoom with Roll20. We just ran our 5th edition game last night and the sheet was lagging horribly for everyone. Like 10 seconds from clicking an ability and it outputting to the chat. Or 10 seconds from clicking "add" under class features, and the new field appearing. That was a new issue. Not sure if something changed on the Roll20 side? I'm on latest chrome.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
TheWebCoder said: We just ran our 5th edition game last night and the sheet was lagging horribly for everyone. Like 10 seconds from clicking an ability and it outputting to the chat. Or 10 seconds from clicking "add" under class features, and the new field appearing. That was a new issue. Not sure if something changed on the Roll20 side? I'm on latest chrome. The code hasn't changed in over a month besides the recent patch fix to OGL conversion which is a 1 line fix that should have no impact on anything other than OGL conversion. It's possible that Roll20 had a high load or Roll20 made changes to character sheets recently. It seems to be working without issue for me. Please try it outside of peak times to see if it has been resolved.
I'll also try Incognito. Thanks Kryx!
I run my games on Saturdays and I notice a slowdown after an hour or two. It seems to resolve when I log out and back in. I think Roll20 needs more server capacity, especially on Saturdays.