Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Noob to GM'ing on roll20, looking for help with dynamic lighting.

Edited 1542256282
Hello all! Just upgraded my account in hopes of getting my own game running soon. I made this dungeon to run as a one-shot, to both get some practice with map making, as well as DM'ing.  I finished my lighting all the walls and doors, then started adding in stuff to liven up the dungeon, in this large room I added some stone pillars, and decided I wanted the light to effect them as well, so I drew my rectangles around them, then tested it out. The problem is now players cannot see the pillar inside the lighting. I then attempted to use the reveal tool to highlight the pillars and statue, but as you can see in the picture provided the pillars are not visible. Is there a work around to being able to have light effect my pillars, while still being able to see the tops of them? This Image  is of my map, the left is the dynamic lighting, and the second half is the view from the shark who has dark vision.  tl;dr I want the pillars in the image to cast shadows, but still be able to see the top.  

Edited 1542264175
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
There are a few ways of doing the pillars. One way is to make an X with the dynamic lighting lines on each pillar. Another way is to make a circle around the inside edge of the pillar then put a token with light emitting from it inside the circle. You will have to assign the tokens to players they can see with those tokens. Downside of that method is you will have to use fog of war to hide the inside of the pillars until viewable, probably. Skip that method.
 If the shadows are the important part and partial view of tops is ok I would use the X as Pat suggested. Works for pillars, trees, big rocks etc. and as they are just 2 lines it's effect on performance is less than any other dynamic solution.
Thanks guys! I will give this a try! If there are methods that allow a full box drawn around, and showing the inside pillar, would still like to hear about them, first time doing a dungeon, so its all for the sake of a learning experience!
Spren
Sheet Author
There isn't a way, but there's a suggestion for it in the request forums! Feel free to add you support:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1242655/dynamic-lighting-one-sided-dynamic-lighting" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1242655/dynamic-lighting-one-sided-dynamic-lighting</a>
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I have found that the best combination of performance, appearance, and functionality for me has been to make a small box inside the pillar, The shadow is smaller, you don't see the whole pillar, but it gets the job done. Personally, I like it better than the "X", which blocks too much of the pillar for me.