Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e Shaped] Best implementation of usable spell scrolls

I've searched the forums, but their search engine really blows (sorry, Roll20 team, but you know it). What is the best way to utilize spell scrolls? I want them "cast-able" like the other spells, but I just don't know how to include them in a way that makes sense. I don't mind bending the 5e rules a tiny bit to get something workable, but everything I've come up with presents more problems than it's worth. How does everyone else handle spell scrolls? Keep in mind I'm using the 5e Shaped Sheet. Thanks!

Edited 1543213734
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There are several ways you could do this. Since you are using the Shaped Sheet, I can give you some specific advice. 1) The Shaped Sheet allows you to put uses on a spell given to a character. Activating the spell will decrement the use (if you are using the Shaped Script), but leave spell slots alone. 2) to hand out spell scrolls, you can Put links to them in a handout using some of the techniques in this Stupid Trick , or Zap them all onto the character sheet with this Spellbook Macro (which only works with Shaped Script) 3) Assign them to a "Scroll Character" and give the player access to the character. This character never recovers and has all spells on uses. If you want the casting abilities and DCs to match the owner of the scroll, you might need to tweak the stats on the character a bit. With a little bit of work, you might be able to come up with a ChatSetAttr macro to automate this, but it's probably simpler to do manually. 4) A lot more up-front work, but you could create a card deck that has the names of the scroll spells on them. Hand these cards out to the players when they get a scroll. Many people track potions and other consumables this way. Use the spell/potion, hand in the card.
Spren
Sheet Author
What I do is just have a handout that I give them and once the spell is used I take it away or delete the handout. If you take this a step further, you would just need to be able to cast the spell from within the handout. With a bit of search it does appear to be possible to use a macro from a handout (<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Journal_Command_Buttons" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Journal_Command_Buttons</a>). So this is just a thought, but if you give them this handout that has a link to a macro then they can effectively "cast" it. Then you can just remove their permission from the scroll handout or delete it or whatever. You would just need to set up that macro in advance.
keithcurtis said: There are several ways you could do this. Since you are using the Shaped Sheet, I can give you some specific advice. 1) The Shaped Sheet allows you to put uses on a spell given to a character. Activating the spell will decrement the use (if you are using the Shaped Script), but leave spell slots alone. 2) to hand out spell scrolls, you can Put links to them in a handout using some of the techniques in this Stupid Trick , or Zap them all onto the character sheet with this Spellbook Macro (which only works with Shaped Script) 3) Assign them to a "Scroll Character" and give the player access to the character. This character never recovers and has all spells on uses. If you want the casting abilities and DCs to match the owner of the scroll, you might need to tweak the stats on the character a bit. With a little bit of work, you might be able to come up with a ChatSetAttr macro to automate this, but it's probably simpler to do manually. 4) A lot more up-front work, but you could create a card deck that has the names of the scroll spells on them. Hand these cards out to the players when they get a scroll. Many people track potions and other consumables this way. Use the spell/potion, hand in the card. Thanks for the hints! This actually made me realize that the Shaped Script already has a nice spell menu built in. It's filterable and only includes those spells that are available for drag-and-drop. This menu was created by "!shaped-spells&nbsp; --lists Warlock --level 1" with the spells already in the character's list grayed out (and linking to "!shaped-remove-spell"): One quick macro-with-queries later and you have a fast way to show all spells by class and level. Now to automate the changing of those to scrolls...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Nice, I didn't realize you could pre-sort in the macro.