Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Change the default page size

Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Is it possible to change the default page size of a character sheet? I want to change the default width but cannot figure out how to do that or if it i even possible. Thanks
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You would have to run it as a custom sheet and edit the css or html code.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Pat S. I am the current author of the community sheet I plan to modify - I just do not know what code is needed to do so ( I am new to CSS and HTML).

Edited 1545024191
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
You cannot change the default journal window, but you can constrain your sheet's width. Try wrapping your existing code within an outer "container" div with a set width or max-width( good article on using max-width ).
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Vince said: You cannot change the default journal window, but you can constrain your sheet's width. Try wrapping your existing code within an outer "container" div with a set width or max-width( good article on using max-width ). Thank Vince. Your information went right over my head so I will check out that article you mentioned Thanks again!

Edited 1545056039
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
It appears that the default page size is embedded in the basic part of the character sheet provided by Roll20. If I use Vince's suggestion, it does change the character sheet inside the Basic 'shell' provided by Roll20 however now I have horizontal scroll bars for the sheet. Inspecting this basic shell (I have no idea what it is called) I see this code; div class="ui-dialog ui-widget ui-widget-content ui-corner-all ui-draggable ui-resizable" tabindex="-1" role="dialog" aria-labelledby="ui-id-9" style="outline: 0px; z-index: 10515; position: fixed; height: 713px; width: 900px; top: 46px; left: 52px; display: block; The main part shows: position: fixed; height: 713px; width: 900px ;  So I assume that is what is setting a 'default' size and cannot be changed. My mistake in stating I wanted to set the width of the character sheet, what I meant was for the whole sheet including the Bio, Attributes, Character sheet, etc.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Mike W. said: It appears that the default page size is embedded in the basic part of the character sheet provided by Roll20. If I use Vince's suggestion, it does change the character sheet inside the Basic 'shell' provided by Roll20 however now I have horizontal scroll bars for the sheet. Inspecting this basic shell (I have no idea what it is called) I see this code; div class="ui-dialog ui-widget ui-widget-content ui-corner-all ui-draggable ui-resizable" tabindex="-1" role="dialog" aria-labelledby="ui-id-9" style="outline: 0px; z-index: 10515; position: fixed; height: 713px; width: 900px; top: 46px; left: 52px; display: block; The main part shows: position: fixed; height: 713px; width: 900px ;  So I assume that is what is setting a 'default' size and cannot be changed. My mistake in stating I wanted to set the width of the character sheet, what I meant was for the whole sheet including the Bio, Attributes, Character sheet, etc. Sorry Mike. If you assign a fixed width to a parent element, you have to be aware of how the inner elements will "fit" within.  Sometimes they will be larger than their parent which can cause horizontal/vertical scrolling.  You would need to make adjustments to the inner widths of elements to prevent it from happening.  While fixed width designs are "predictable", building a floating design that adjusts to any available width is very common and flexible, but can look awkward if stretched/compressed to extremes. Yea, I don't believe you can control anything outside of the character tab.(character journal window). You can use an extension like Stylus to override the css, but that is just a "local" override that only you would see.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Vince said: Mike W. said: It appears that the default page size is embedded in the basic part of the character sheet provided by Roll20. If I use Vince's suggestion, it does change the character sheet inside the Basic 'shell' provided by Roll20 however now I have horizontal scroll bars for the sheet. Inspecting this basic shell (I have no idea what it is called) I see this code; div class="ui-dialog ui-widget ui-widget-content ui-corner-all ui-draggable ui-resizable" tabindex="-1" role="dialog" aria-labelledby="ui-id-9" style="outline: 0px; z-index: 10515; position: fixed; height: 713px; width: 900px; top: 46px; left: 52px; display: block; The main part shows: position: fixed; height: 713px; width: 900px ;  So I assume that is what is setting a 'default' size and cannot be changed. My mistake in stating I wanted to set the width of the character sheet, what I meant was for the whole sheet including the Bio, Attributes, Character sheet, etc. Sorry Mike. If you assign a fixed width to a parent element, you have to be aware of how the inner elements will "fit" within.  Sometimes they will be larger than their parent which can cause horizontal/vertical scrolling.  You would need to make adjustments to the inner widths of elements to prevent it from happening.  While fixed width designs are "predictable", building a floating design that adjusts to any available width is very common and flexible, but can look awkward if stretched/compressed to extremes. Yea, I don't believe you can control anything outside of the character tab.(character journal window). You can use an extension like Stylus to override the css, but that is just a "local" override that only you would see. I'm not sure stylus/stylish would work in this case, because it's an inline style, which seems to ignore other styling...(I messed around with it and couldn't figure it out...doesn't mean it can't be done, though...just needs someone smarter than me)

Edited 1545073357
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Finderski said: Vince said: Mike W. said: It appears that the default page size is embedded in the basic part of the character sheet provided by Roll20. If I use Vince's suggestion, it does change the character sheet inside the Basic 'shell' provided by Roll20 however now I have horizontal scroll bars for the sheet. Inspecting this basic shell (I have no idea what it is called) I see this code; div class="ui-dialog ui-widget ui-widget-content ui-corner-all ui-draggable ui-resizable" tabindex="-1" role="dialog" aria-labelledby="ui-id-9" style="outline: 0px; z-index: 10515; position: fixed; height: 713px; width: 900px; top: 46px; left: 52px; display: block; The main part shows: position: fixed; height: 713px; width: 900px ;  So I assume that is what is setting a 'default' size and cannot be changed. My mistake in stating I wanted to set the width of the character sheet, what I meant was for the whole sheet including the Bio, Attributes, Character sheet, etc. Sorry Mike. If you assign a fixed width to a parent element, you have to be aware of how the inner elements will "fit" within.  Sometimes they will be larger than their parent which can cause horizontal/vertical scrolling.  You would need to make adjustments to the inner widths of elements to prevent it from happening.  While fixed width designs are "predictable", building a floating design that adjusts to any available width is very common and flexible, but can look awkward if stretched/compressed to extremes. Yea, I don't believe you can control anything outside of the character tab.(character journal window). You can use an extension like Stylus to override the css, but that is just a "local" override that only you would see. I'm not sure stylus/stylish would work in this case, because it's an inline style, which seems to ignore other styling...(I messed around with it and couldn't figure it out...doesn't mean it can't be done, though...just needs someone smarter than me) Good to know.  I do use stylus to override the the character journal tabs...  "nav-tabs"  with position:absolute.   Keeps them in view while scrolling the various tabs contents vertically.  You will need to adjust the z-index, margin, height, padding etc. to best work for your sheet/setup. Handy for quickly jumping around. .nav-tabs { z-index: 100000 !important; position: fixed !important; background-color: #f0f8ff !important; margin:-10px 0 0 0 !important; height: 2em !important; } .nav-tabs:hover { opacity: 1.0 !important; } .nav-tabs>li>a { padding-top: 6px !important; font-size: 1.2em !important; margin-top: -5px !important; }