Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Chat dice bug

Edited 1549361682
Whenever we have chat popped out, all of the rolls from the character sheets or macros become unreadable when you hover over the results. This started when Charactermancer went live last June. <a href="https://i.imgur.com/RDWnTaX.jpg" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/RDWnTaX.jpg</a>
Hi Mark, Can you clear your chat&nbsp;archive and see if that resolves your issue?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just to clarify: A game's Creator is often able to fix issues with their Text Chat by&nbsp; clearing the Chat Archive &nbsp;(note: not&nbsp; clearing your current Chat Log ). A GM might want to copy/back up the Chat Archive before the Creator clears it.
keithcurtis said: Just to clarify: A game's Creator is often able to fix issues with their Text Chat by&nbsp; clearing the Chat Archive &nbsp;(note: not&nbsp; clearing your current Chat Log ). A GM might want to copy/back up the Chat Archive before the Creator clears it. What is the best way to backup the Chat Archive? I tried making a copy of my game about 3x, but each time there is nothing in the game at all. I'm loathe to delete the entire archive without having a backup.
Also I just checked, this happens in all of my games, and in Chrome, Firefox and Chrome Canary
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you view the chat archive from outside of the game, you can simply save the output to your hard drive as an HTML file or web archive. Be warned, you will lose a lot of whispers. Open the resulting file in a different browser or browser window to ensure that you have a usable copy. I'd say use the rollback feature of your game to a time before the corruption occurred, but I don't know if the chat archive gets rolled back with everything else, or if there's too much other data you'd be loathe to lose.
A Rollback should restore a portion of chat to a game, however it will only restore what the firebase data is holding on to (which is the 100 messages in the game at the time of the back up). A rollback will not &nbsp;restore the entire chat archive. What I would suggest, if you do not want to lose your chat, is to create a copy of the game and continue from that point (You may need to clear the chat archive fix in the copied game).
I have just spent some time to look into this again. Some new things to report: The dice chat pop-out issue listed above happens in all my campaigns, and all of my players are affected by it while playing in my games. I was going to try copying the game and removing the chat archive, but Copy Game does not work for my ongoing campaigns. Once the game is "copied" it creates a blank campaign. There are no journal entries, music, macros, pages, nothing. Storm King's Thunder - A Pipwhistle Tale The Rise of Tiamat Copy Games does work for "Descent into the Depths of the Earth" but that one is nearly empty to begin with. I haven't tried the others. Since this issue has persisted since June 2018, I don't think a rollback is going to help me. Thoughts?
Did some more testing tonight: Created brand new game. Dragged Goblin into the game from SRD. Rolled 1 attack. Tooltip is normal on hover. Pop out chat - tooltip no longer works on hover. Repeat in Canary, repeat in Firefox. All 3 have same results.
Hi Mark, Sincerest apologies that this did not get a response (Re: This Thread ) and I appreciate you had made the new thread! Apparently I had not followed this thread properly so it slipped my mind. I was ultimately able to reproduce this and have since submitted a ticket for the devs to investigate.
Thanks for the follow up!