Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Increased Storage Space

With the news of Fanburst shutting down, and the pressing forward of the Bring Your Own Beat update due within the next week, I feel like this age old issue should be a primary concern. From what I have seen so far, and maybe I have missed it, I have seen no clarification of whether or not the music upload will have its own separate storage space/how much, or if it will share our already overly limited amount. This is, of course, the concern, given the size of good quality audio files.  As it stands the storage space is ridiculous in this day and age. 100 for free, 1000 for paid? In a time where signing up for a free email gets you multiple gigs, Google Drive 15 gigs, etc etc etc. Honestly even if my fear is incorrect and the music uploads somehow don't take from your initial storage limit, this is a change that needs to be made. But we all know my fear is probably correct. More and more Roll20 is giving us bigger things to upload. Just this past month we got animations via gifs, webms, mp4s. Stuff taking up a lot more space than our standard old jpgs and pngs. And now music too.
Agreed.  I asked this elsewhere.  I have 100s of maps, tokens, etc, I use all the time.  I sit at about 90% of my total storage at all times.  This is after massaging whatever maps I have to use the lowest resolution they can without looking horrible.  
I can easily see how storage space will be completely decimated by uploads of songs as many range from 2mb to 10mb, sometimes even higher depending on the length. This is on top of the necessary visuals Game Masters use such as maps, effects, and tokens+portraits. As well as character art uploaded for the player end. A change to storage space will effect all levels of people here, but even moreso the free users. Pro and Plus will quickly find that they reach their limits sooner than anticipated (unless they know of good compression methods). While it's appreciated having a direct interface on Roll20, most people would readily agree to not have a price increase if it meant using another fairly popular storage medium for uploading. Google Drive being one of the most notable examples as it supports practically all types of files. I can also understand the notion of keeping all of the site's eggs in one basket to avoid future issues, but sites such as google drive are not going anywhere anytime soon. Another alternative would be giving everyone a separate storage space for audio vs. image files as well as increasing the base storage space for all. Understand that you do have many many free users this would effect, simply keeping the space low for them would only give the incentive for customers leaving the platform instead of potentially paying.
Meta K. said: I can easily see how storage space will be completely decimated by uploads of songs as many range from 2mb to 10mb, sometimes even higher depending on the length. This is on top of the necessary visuals Game Masters use such as maps, effects, and tokens+portraits. As well as character art uploaded for the player end. A change to storage space will effect all levels of people here, but even moreso the free users. Pro and Plus will quickly find that they reach their limits sooner than anticipated (unless they know of good compression methods). While it's appreciated having a direct interface on Roll20, most people would readily agree to not have a price increase if it meant using another fairly popular storage medium for uploading. Google Drive being one of the most notable examples as it supports practically all types of files. I can also understand the notion of keeping all of the site's eggs in one basket to avoid future issues, but sites such as google drive are not going anywhere anytime soon. Another alternative would be giving everyone a separate storage space for audio vs. image files as well as increasing the base storage space for all. Understand that you do have many many free users this would effect, simply keeping the space low for them would only give the incentive for customers leaving the platform instead of potentially paying. What he said.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
With  today's release , you can now upload your own audio to Roll20 and storage limits have been increased for subscribers. I am closing this thread to refund your votes.