Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

I stumbled into this effect

I was creating a night time scene on a large snowy plain with rock piles and low ridges. After spending way more time than makes sense I realized my beautifully detailed terrain would be almost completely black to the players unless they ran up and down all over the map with torches. Well I took a moon token and shrank it down quite small after setting emits light/700/1 all players see. I dropped that in the southeastern corner of my map and then went to Dynamic lighting layer and drew random blobs at various distances from the southern edge of the map. When I select the token and use the left arrow key to nudge it along the map, streaks of light (dim) shoot all across the map with rocks and ridge lines causing additional shadows. It really looks like moonlight is peeking through holes in shifting clouds and the field is shown in bits and pieces dimly so the players can see the 200 tokens moving to attack the camp, which they will have to rescue.
A screenshot. @ 10% to show large map with 200 tokens for the party to fight.
Paul S.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Pretty nifty!