Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll XdY + user entered modifier, and compare total to a number?

I found part of an answer to this question, but it didn't quite hit what I was looking for. I'd like to roll a set of dice (can be any XdY, but in this case, it would be either 2d6 or 3d6) plus a user-entered modifier to the roll, and then have the total of that roll compared to a target number for success. E.g., 2d6 + Modifier, looking for a total of 9 or higher. I know I can do the 2d6 part like this: /r {2d6, 0d0} >8 (I confess I don't understand from the documentation what the 0d0 is needed for, but I know it works).  However, is there a way to add a modifier prompt to that setup? If not, it's not that big a deal. But I can't figure out if it's possible -- all my attempts have failed.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yes, you can simply add a roll query to the 2d6 side: /r {0d0,2d6+?{Modifier|0}}>10 As a note, the 0d0 is needed because if one section of the group roll has a roll, then all sections must have a roll.
Aha! I was just thinking to try something close to that, but not quite it. Thanks!