Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Ability to lock players out of an active game

Users: The functionality should be available to both the game owner , and any players promoted to the GM role . Feature: This would introduce the capability of locking a game from entry to all non-owner and non-GM players. Ideally just having a Lock/Unlock Game button on the game page would encompass the user experience. Game owners and GM's will always be able to enter the game. Additional Option: A setting to simply disallow players from launching the game unless the GM is already in game. Similar to a feature most online meeting tools have around a host starting the meeting and a waiting lobby. This can be manually handled through the feature above if determined not to warrant its own functionality. User Story: There are game management and creation activities which can be performed with more efficiency when players are not in the game. Aside from the immediate prevention of interruptions to work the GM is doing, it also prevents players from moving tokens, editing their character sheets, or asking questions which would be better done in the game forums so all can benefit from the answer.
this is why all of the modules, comes with the starting page, a practice all DMs creating content or running games on here should employ! Work that players flag baby!
The landing page only keeps them from seeing other pages, not rolling dice, editing their characters, etc.
Whisper toggles on all sheets can be applied, or forced with a click of the button. within 4 clicks you can restrict editing of a sheet as well
I... kinda have to state the obvious: Have you tried speaking to your players and told them it's annoying to you if they do things in between games?
Of course I've tried talking on and off over the years. This isn't a one off request for a single game. Anyone who's managed people knows that sometimes a simple conversation with six people is really six different conversations to reach the same understanding across the team. Mishandling any of them will result in disappointment somewhere, which isn't the point of getting together to game on Roll20. I'm looking at this in the same manner as I do online meeting solutions such as WebEx, BlueJeans, Fuze, Skype for Business, etc. Common functionality includes: Ability for host to restrict entry into the meeting until allowed, and end the meeting removing all participants. Ability for the host to mute/unmute any/all participants. Ability for the host delegate functionality to other users. (aka promote to GM in Roll20) Ability to chat to group or specific participants. Etc. Most of the common functionality exists in Roll20 one way or another, I really think this should too. I'd think any GM running multiple games could benefit from it.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .