Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting Compounding in GM view

Hello, I'm new to Dynamic Lighting, but I'm noticing something when using Ctrl+L on a token's view. For example, I have a Tabaxi and a Dwarf both with darkvision.  When I use CTRL+L, each can see the other's darkvision in GM Mode like the darkvisions overlap and the Dwarf is benefiting from the Tabaxi (and vice-versa).  But when I log in as a Player, everything is fine.  In essence, I can't really know what the token is seeing as a GM because CTRL+L isn't functioning entirely as intended.  Then I add in a character with no darkvision, click on "Has sight" with no other parameters, and in GM mode with CTRL+L I can see dim light because the other tokens are 'emitting' light, but I don't have "all player see light" checked on their tokens.  In Player mode, everything is as intended, the token can only see a torch far away which is emitting light (not the tabaxi or dwarf darkvision circles). So even though it's fine for the PCs, as a GM, I'm not able to 'actually' see what they are seeing. Is there anything I can do to correct this?
EDIT: I had a PC test their token and they can see the other tokens' darkvision as if they were emitting light, when they aren't set to show light to all players.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Make sure creatures with darkvision do not  have "all tokens see light" checked. CTRL+L has never been quite as good as logging in on a second test account. Make sure you have the latest version of both Chrome and  Firefox. Create a new, free Roll20 and have it log in on whichever of those two browsers is not your main browser. Add the test account to your game and give it the ability to control whichever token you are testing (a token can have multiple owners) You can now log in on your main account as the GM to set up the game and simultaneously log in with the test account on the other browser to test the lighting.
Hello E R., Sorry to hear that you have encountered this issue. CRTL+L is currently not working as intended. It is a known issue resulting from an update. You can find out more information in our  Animations and AFoW Offical Feedback Thread . You can also follow that thread for future updates on the issue. 
Thanks, glad to hear you are aware of the CTRL L issue and I’m sure you’re working on it. So I had one of my players test it on their end and it’s not working like I thought it was.  I definitely know that each other token doesn’t have “All tokens see light” checked.  What’s more, each Darkvision token that comes into range with each other gets their Darkvision augmented so that if there are three or more, they now have bright light just because they are in proximity of each other.  Any other suggestions, please?  Anyone else experiencing this?
Ok here is the other weird thing.  All of the sudden it was working fine.  Then I switched to another map and all I saw was total darkness, couldn't switch views to see anything.  I exited the game and came back in.  Got my vision as a GM again, but the lighting went wonky again. In addition, Anything that is supposed to emit light for all to see, isn't emitting any light for other tokens.  I updated my browser (Firefox). I triple checked all the settings. The settings are all how they should be.  Then my player said that his vision is fine on his end, but mine isn't (which I guess is part of the bug).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
E R. said:  What’s more, each Darkvision token that comes into range with each other gets their Darkvision augmented so that if there are three or more, they now have bright light just because they are in proximity of each other.  Any other suggestions, please?  Anyone else experiencing this? This is the nature of dynamic lighting. It's actually just an overlay. Whenever multiple sources of dim light overlap, the opacity of the black overlay goes down, making the revealed area "brighter".
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
E R. said: Ok here is the other weird thing.  All of the sudden it was working fine.  Then I switched to another map and all I saw was total darkness, couldn't switch views to see anything.  I exited the game and came back in.  Got my vision as a GM again, but the lighting went wonky again. In addition, Anything that is supposed to emit light for all to see, isn't emitting any light for other tokens.  I updated my browser (Firefox). I triple checked all the settings. The settings are all how they should be.  Then my player said that his vision is fine on his end, but mine isn't (which I guess is part of the bug). This is a known bug that came in with yesterday's hotfix. It is reportedly the top priority to fix at this moment.