Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Map Sizing changes?

I just noticed that suddenly the Map size options in the settings have changed with be something like 25x70 = X px and am utterly confused as to what is happening. What is this this and how does it effect the number of squares on my map now? As if I want a 30x30 grid and all what am I supposed to do when I can't change the 70 in this new calculation weirdness?

Edited 1553183047
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Huntress! The Page Settings dialog box was reworked because we discovered that it was very confusing the way it used to be. It went live yesterday. You can now set up your pages using either the previous "units" that you know and love from before, or using pixels. Roll20 uses a default "70 pixels per inch at 100%" resolution-- something we have always done, but which hasn't always been super clear.  If you set the Page Size to Width: 30 and Height: 30, the dialog box will automatically convert that to pixels for you, but you can ignore the pixel measurements if you wish. The Page Scale tells you how far a single grid cell represents, if you have the grid turned on. If you have the grid turned off, it tells you how much distance a 70-pixel area represents. The Cell Width, if you have the grid turned on, will say how many "boxes" (or hexes) do you want to draw in 70 pixels.  The functionality of these hasn't changed, they've just been clarified. The previous Page Settings dialog box was fairly confusing the way it was, and we hope that, although it has more information in it, the new dialog box helps everyone understand what these settings mean.