Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Imbedding skill rolls into text

Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Hi all,  I'm trying to figure out how to imbed a simple skill roll into an emote or text.  For example:  /e tries to be cool but [[charisma]] happens Can you tell me how to do that?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
you pretty much have the syntax down except for a few issues. /e is not a valid command. As a gm you can use /emas to specify who you are talking as or /em to use who you are speaking as atm. Players can use /me (and maybe /em) for the same effect as /em. Then you'll need to reference the attributes of the character that you need or do the actual roll. If this macro is entered as an ability on a character's sheet then you can just do: /em Tries to be cool, but [[@{charisma}]] happens. This assumes you have an attribute on the sheet named "charisma".
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Yes! Thank you!

Edited 1553291236
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Oh, actually that doesn't work in the chat, or in a macro. Is that the exact syntax?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You need to include the name of the character, like /em Tries to be cool, but [[@{Bilbo|charisma}]] happens. or, while you have a character's token selected: /em Tries to be cool, but [[@{selected|charisma}]] happens.
Test
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
/em Tries to be cool, but [[@{Bilbo|charisma}]] happens. this worked but it just listed the Charisma attribute, not a check roll. 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I don't know the sheet or system you're using, but there are several ways you can turn that into a roll Assuming you are rolling 1d20+ stat, it would be /em Tries to be cool, but [[1d20 + @{Bilbo|charisma}]] happens. That sentence doesn't seem to make much sense to me, I'd go for something like /em Tries to be cool, with [[1d20 + @{Bilbo|charisma}]] for a Charisma roll.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you let us know which sheet you are using, we can help you perfect it.
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
It's the D&D 5e by Roll20. (SRD) If I were to do:  /em Tries to be cool, with [[1d20 + @{Bilbo|charisma}]] for a Charisma roll.  wouldn't that return 1d20+14? 14 is the characters CHA attribute. How do you isolate the CHA bonus value?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The bonus attribute should be on the character sheet somewhere. You use that attribute name in place of charisma.  Keith can probably tell us. I'd try cha_mod or charisma_mod. 

Edited 1553651932
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
A quick test shows /em tries to be cool, with [[1d20 +  @{Bilbo|charisma_mod}]] for a Charisma roll. to be the winner.
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Winner!  Thanks keithcurtis!
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
And thanks Gigs (cowinner)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yay i shall treasure my trophy.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Everyone else did the heavy lifting. I'm a killstealer.
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Thanks to everyone on the thread! YOU ARE ALL WINNERS!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
hehe, great. Also, I'll forgive you Keith
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Roll for initiative!