Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Problem with initiative/turn tracker; solved but reporting anyway.

So tonight's game started off with a worrisome problem... I have all tokens on the board with token actions, which pull a value from the token's character sheet, add a d20, then use the &{tracker} function to place their initiative into the turn tracker automatically. At about 7pm CST tonight, when we started our first combat of the night, things went wonky. The first token I chose made its roll, and that roll showed up in the chat box (using inline dice if that matters) properly, with the value and the name and all. But it did not appear in the turn tracker. Subsequent clickings-on of the same token's token action for initiative did nothing. Nothing at all, no chat window text, no turn tracker, literally no visible reaction to clicking whatsoever. Clicking on the other tokens on the map also did nothing... literally nothing, not even the chat window. The players attempted to do the same thing, and also reported the same bug. I seem to recall some of them had their rolls appear in the window, but not apply to the turn tracker, but that could be a faulty memory; I wasn't paying too much attention at the time. I closed the turn tracker and reopened it; still nothing. I cleared the empty tracker; nothing. I switched to a different map and a new tracker; nothing. Clicking the initiative token action button had no apparent effect at all. What solved the problem was to close Roll20 and return. The problem was fixed on my end, but my players reported the same issue until they also re-loaded Roll20. As I recall, all but one shut the window down entirely; the one who used F5 to refresh without closing also had his issue resolved. I have no idea how to reproduce this, it may be one of those things that just happen once for no good reason, or it may be something others have seen. Either way, I thought it worth a report, just in case doing so helps. For what it's worth, I'm using Chrome on a Windows 7 64bit system. The one and only change I'd made during the last week was to install AdBlock; I have no other extentions or anything. Just tryin' to keep Roll20 the best Virtual Tabletop on the market! -Phnord PS: In case it was unclear, after reloading, the rest of the night went off without so much as a hiccup (and yes, we made good use of the turn tracker in all its glory!)
This happened again to my group tonight; however it did not happen to all players, as last time. Only two or three were affected, but in much the same way. I, as the GM, did not see the effects at all; I am merely reporting what my players said. This is the same campaign as in the previous case, as well. We'd been playing for some time in this instance. We'd started on one screen, moved to another and had a combat, moved to a third and had an extensive combat, then we took a brief break for snacks. Nobody closed the program during this time, we merely put ourselves on mute for about 5-10 minutes. During this time, I called up a map I had, and populated it with tokens to represent the monsters they were going to fight. The players were left behind on the previous map while I did this. The tokens used to represent the player characters were left over from a previous game a week ago, as they'd been on this map before and were returning, having left (in game.) I re-positioned their tokens from the far right to the far left of the map by selecting them as a group and dragging them across; one additional PC token was added that was not there before. All the tokens are attached to journal entries with extensive 'ability' macros, several of which are set as token actions. I used the token action button to add approximately one dozen 'monsters' to the turn order list, utilizing the &{tracker} command, before bringing the players over. Some were on the token layer, most were on the GM layer. When the time was right, I moved the players ribbon to this map, and the players saw their tokens. I was asked to shift-ping to their location, and did so. I asked my players to use their token action buttons to roll their initiative and several of them said that they were unable to get any response from their button-pressing, as in my previous post. I suggested that they close Roll20 and reload, and that fixed the problem; after reloading the buttons worked properly again. I apologize for the verbosity of this posting - since it is such a fleeting issue (has happened twice, ever, apparently) it's difficult to be sure what may or may not be the important factor(s) to reproduce it. Erring on the side of caution I have included every detail I can recall. Should this happen again in the future I have a few experiments I will attempt, or ask my players to attempt, to get more detailed information. I ask that if any other players have had anything similar happen, please respond here. This is not a major issue at the moment but could indicate problems in the future. To repeat: My players were unable to get any response from the system when attempting to use token action buttons, specifically in an attempt to use &{tracker}-based commands for initiative in the turn order, until they reloaded Roll20. And yes, aside from this the rest of the game went perfectly. I'm not complaining, I'm trying to help! q;} -Phnord. PS: While I continue to use Adblocker, I have it set to allow Roll20's advertising; this was not the case last time so I doubt it has any bearing on the issue.