Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

COMPLAINT - Do away with "Roll20 only" Art Packs

Edited 1554225783
Ahpook
Roll20 Production Team
Honestly what is the point of these?  I pay money for an art pack but I dont actually get to own or use it?  That is seriously messed up. Even worse is the fact that the warning that tells you this is buried deceptively way down at the bottom of the page in tiny lettering.  Only afterwards do you find out that you have been scammed.  And do they refund you if you email them and complain?  Sure.  But they make that a hardship which discourages you from doing it and it takes time. I dont know if this lame policy is something of Roll20's or has to do with weird rights issues but regardless, Roll20 needs to stop offering these altogether.  Its disingenuous, frustrating, and a waste of time and money.  Do away with "Roll20 only" Artpacks.  They suck. Ahpook
Dean
Roll20 Team
Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, Ahpook. Whether an art pack is downloadable or not is up to the creator / publisher of the pack, as they have the right to protect their digital rights, and we offer the tools to do as such as we support their rights and livelihoods. Most sets that do utilize these tools do state at the top of their product descriptions that it is for use only in Roll20, but if there are any that don't have that (some may be older sets that should be updated), I'm happy to add that to make it more clear to the customer. Having a more clear experience overall is in planning for our next UX run through the marketplace (and site overall), and I'll take your feedback into that. All that aside, our customer service team always makes it very easy to return a product if it is not functioning as expected or if a mistake were made. Feel free to reach out to them at any time for any need!
Ahpook
Roll20 Production Team
Thanks for your response. I think you should do away with them altogether if they wont license the art out to the people who pay for them.  You have the power in that regard.  Make it clear they wont have the amazing outlet that is your marketplace if they don't license the art to the purchasers. Failing that, you really need to make the notification that you cannot own the pack up at the top and extra visible.  It feels very deceptive to have it hidden at the bottom as far from the purchasing area on the page as possible. As I said, the customer service team is always responsive and takes care of the issue as fast as possible.  But I shouldn't have to deal with it in the first place.  Its very frustrating. Ahpook
I agree with Ahpook. Didn't know those existed as luckily I have not purchased any that are R20 only... But I'll keep an eye out for them now and NOT purchase them. But these should be removed or at least CLEARLY labelled that they are for R20 only.
A better suggestion would be to automatically attach a clear warning at the top of the details for the product if it's set to not be downloadable. Your suggestion is too restrictive and it's unreasonable to expect Roll20 to make such a change.
Ahpook
Roll20 Production Team
If you fully read my message I suggest that as an alternative, although less desirable option.  Also that they flex their muscle a little and tell the creators to get on board or lose the market Roll20 represents. 

Edited 1554664053
Alienating market content creators would not a be wise thing to do, just because you don't like that you can not use something made for roll20 outside of roll20. That could eliminate people wanting to make things for roll20 and adding more work on them to provide content to their users. When at the moment they seem pretty full on things that user feel they are entitled to.  This is just my opinion on this.
Dean
Roll20 Team
Thanks for your thoughts. For clarity, this option is only set on a very few packs, and it is licenser / creator discretion so we won't be changing this. It effects all Wizards of the Coast art packs, as well as Paizo art packs, and a tiny handful from other creators.  I absolutely agree that marketplace items overall need a better layout of important information, from criteria like this to install type (module / add-on), etc. This has been in our plans for the next major visual / UX update to the marketplace, and I'll definitely be taking your feedback into that as those projects get underway.  Closing this thread from here as I believe the point is made and clear and agreed upon for better marketplace info layout by us, but if you ever have more opinions to share feel free!