Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Very Lost

First, we've used "another" Java based program and its easy.  Sloppy, expensive, but very very easy. This does not look any where near as easy and the map looks a lot smaller.  For example, we are running Sunless Citadel.  Level 1 and 2 are separate maps in our current tabletop, but they fit.  We're concerned on how folks run large scale maps on Roll20? Are there places to go to see examples of how people are setting up and running adventures and characters from DDN?
Gid
Roll20 Team
I'm a little confused about what you're having trouble with exactly. Could you clarify? When you bring up your page settings, you can change the dimensions of the tabletop to be as big or as small as you need it to be.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXXXFsjUDVI" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXXXFsjUDVI</a> is a good place to start. &nbsp; The trickiest part for me when I started with roll20 was how this system thinks about character sheets. &nbsp;If your coming from Wizards VTT and DnD, then its important to remember that characters and NPCs and monsters all go into the journal tab. &nbsp;You then assign PC characters to the players from there. &nbsp;All remaining NPCs and Monsters (even if unassigned) will be assigned to the DM.&nbsp; Roll20 is system agnostic, and that can be tricky if you've been playing a single system for a long time. &nbsp;Tokens can be linked to a character/monster/npc that is in the journal. &nbsp;Each token can visually show three stats (the heart, the bolt, and wavelength). &nbsp;You have to choose what you want those to represent. &nbsp;&nbsp; In my game I use the wavelength as health, the heart as armor and the bold as attack bonus, since these are the mostly frequently referred to numbers in my Pathfinder game. &nbsp;The DM has to check boxes in each token character sheet to determine which stats the player(s) can see and edit. &nbsp; In terms of map design, Kristin is correct. &nbsp;Maps can be resized by dragging the corner of the bounding box. &nbsp;Hold Shift to constrain proportions. &nbsp;Hot alt if you need the image to not snap to grid. &nbsp; Let us know what other questions you have. &nbsp;People on this forum are awesome, and that includes the devs and mentors.&nbsp;
OK, that was new, look as I did, I never saws that!&nbsp; Thank you! I see the help guide and have started reading it, I'm just trying to grasp all the possible commands we can use (and examples) for things like powers, attacks, etc. I pulled some monsters out, saw the settings for them, still looking for how to design D&amp;D (AC, etc) the 3 circles.&nbsp; Maybe I just need to read more, but I think I was taken back that it was not as newbie intuitive as other programs. Not knocking it. Last, browser?&nbsp; This locks up FF all the time, is it best (or only) usable in Chrome?
InterestCurve , thank you.&nbsp; You were reading my mind as I was answering before, I'll look into that!
Chrome is what most people use I think for roll20. &nbsp;I haven't had an issues with Chrome. &nbsp;Safari isn't bad either, but Chrome seems to be the gold standard.&nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
If Firefox is locking up on you please post a bug report for it and we will try to help troubleshoot it. Firefox is one of the supported browsers and should work. However, it does matter which version of FF you are using and what plugins you may have running. We cannot predict what plugins may do to Roll20 and sometimes when there is an issue it is the result of a plugin - Roll20 interaction.&nbsp; As for how to use Roll20 here are a few topics to help narrow things down. Please ask any questions about any areas you need help with: Tabletop:: You can load maps, tokens, etc onto various layers of the tabletop. The options for a tabletop (such as size) are found in the little blue icon at the top right side of the tabletop window.&nbsp; You can control what players can see via Fog of War and (paid feature) Dynamic Lighting. Journals/Handouts: This tab contains Journals where the GM (and players) can place information regarding characters and NPCs (or anything else really).&nbsp; Journals contain Attributes which are basically a way to input numbers for use in Macros (settings tab) and Abilities (Journals) Music tab, you can find and play music here. Decks and Tables tab: This is where you can make and control card decks. The tables function is not finished but when it is this is where it will be containted.&nbsp; Settings tab: This is where you can find settings such as macros, audio/video settings etc.&nbsp; Audio/Video: We have 3 audio/video systems for a variety of choices. If one does not work for you please try another. Tokbox: This is the default audio/video system.&nbsp; WebRTC: This is a new peer to peer A/V protocol that works with Chrome.&nbsp; Google+ Hangouts: You can open up Roll20 inside Google+ and use it's A/V options.&nbsp; I hope this helps. If you need further help please ask. - Gauss
Is there a way to alter the icons for the 2 token bubbles? &nbsp;It has a red line, blue line and a heart, was hoping to use heart, shield and sword (health, armor, attack) so to speak. And last Q then I'll stop for a bit, how do I set up a macro to target one of these boxes? &nbsp;For example /roll 1d20+4 vs [blue line] or is the GM stuck having to check monsters AC &nbsp;and what not each time?
I don't think you can edit the bubbles. &nbsp;I think you get 3 and that's it. I could be totally wrong about this as well, but I think you can only use macros to pull up abilities on your own character sheet. &nbsp;So in your example the +4 which I assume is attack bonus can be called up by "/r 1d20[@attackbonus]". &nbsp;You need to have an ability called 'attackbonus' on your character sheet. &nbsp;While typing your macro the "@" will give you a drop down list of all your named abilities, so in your case "attackbonus". &nbsp; &nbsp; But as far as I know everything after the versus side of your equation you can macro yet. &nbsp;But I'd like to be wrong about this. &nbsp; When I first started roll20 after using Wizards VTT, it looked weak to me. &nbsp;And on the automation side it is. Because the VTT was created to work specifically with d20/4e. &nbsp;After I got out of that head space I realized how powerful d20 was when I could add my own images, tokens and maps. &nbsp; A friend of mine who use to use the Wizards VTT with me, who joined my roll20 game describe it like this. &nbsp;"Roll20 is more like a tabletop, and Wizards VTT was like a video game." &nbsp;What you lose in automation you gain in the ability to customize into the game that you want. &nbsp;&nbsp; Not sure if that makes any sense? &nbsp; &nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
Phobos, There is no way to alter the icons for the token bubbles.&nbsp; Regarding the macro, it seems like you wish to do the following:&nbsp; /roll {1d20+4}&gt;'blue line'&nbsp; If I am correct this can be done as follows:&nbsp; Journal tab: 1) Add a Journal, open it, and click edit. 2) In the Attribute section click 'Add' 3) Name the attribute section whatever you wish. I would suggest something like 'Armor' 4) Put the Armor score in the first box and leave the second box blank. 5) Save the journal.&nbsp; Token:&nbsp; 6) Open the token, change the 'Represents Character' line to the journal you just made.&nbsp; 7) Change Bar2 to 'Armor' 8) Save the changes.&nbsp; Macro: 9) Open the macro you wish to make and name it. 10) in the output field type: /roll {1d20+4}&gt;@Armor select the NPC armor ability you desire and then hit enter.&nbsp; 11) Save the changes Now, when you roll the macro it will automatically compare it to the attribute you assigned. You can change that attribute by changing the value of the number on the token.&nbsp; Example: The attribute value is set to 20. The token shows a '20' in the blue bubble. You change the token value to 24. The attribute value is also now 24. When you roll the macro anything equal to or greater than 24 will be a success.&nbsp; Regarding GM information what I do is I put the statblock in the token's GM section. Then if I need to check the NPCs statblock I just doubleclick on it and read. It winds up going pretty quick.&nbsp; Other's use the journals to keep track of NPC statblocks but I find that is a bit more time intensive. - Gauss
Thank you, I will try this. &nbsp;I played a LOT with this last night, I like it. &nbsp;It takes some work, but that's not a bad thing. One thing I was not able to do, and maybe you cannot, but I realized after that fact that whole armor macro you described above depends on it. Can you "target" a token on the&nbsp;battle map? &nbsp;In&nbsp;other words, If I set a macro for my "battleaxe" as: &nbsp;/roll {1d20+4}&gt;=@Armor &nbsp;it needs to check and evaluate the armor value of my target. &nbsp;Eh? &nbsp;Again, if not, it simply means the DM has to (just like at the table) check the AC of the creature and report success|failure. &nbsp; In the end, I'm not only trying to evaluate the work needed to run a complete game, but more importantly, my son (14) DM's a LOT of D&amp;D games, and has started using the "other" online tool. &nbsp;If I am going to move him here, I need to be able to help him and convince him he&nbsp;doesn't&nbsp;have to do a ton of extra work. If he goes through and stats out orcs and goblins and this and that, are these things&nbsp;persistent&nbsp; &nbsp;Can he import them into a new "campaign" so he is not forced to redo all his work? &nbsp;Also, if he&nbsp;designs&nbsp;them, and a month from now needs to&nbsp;tweak&nbsp;them, if he changes the "journal" for the orc, it will properly change them all correct, no need to edit every creature on the map.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yes, there are ways to set that sort of targeting up but I do not believe they will be satisfactory. They would require a lot of work to set up. Roll20's strength is that it can be used with almost any game. It's weakness is that we do not include much automation because automation leads to supporting specific games. It is a replacement for a physical tabletop as opposed to a 'video game' way of playing D&amp;D. :) The way that kind of targeting would be set up is to make a macro for each creature interaction. IE: a macro for NPC type 1 attacking the PC named 'George'. Another macro for NPC type 1 attacking the PC named 'Jim'. Still another if NPC type 2 attacks the PC named 'George'. Etc. Alas, too many macros. I will try to think of some way to speed this up but I do not believe there is a way currently. Regarding&nbsp;persistence: They are&nbsp;persistent&nbsp;inside a campaign but they cannot be&nbsp;imported/exported at this time. However, import/export is a regularly requested feature so maybe someday it will happen. What can be done at this time is a campaign can be copied in its entirety or just some pieces of it. If he makes a baseline campaign he can build up a stable of common creatures sheets and then clone the campaign to build off of it. If he designs them and changes the Journal any token bubbles that are linked to that journal will change. He will not need to edit every creature.&nbsp; If you have any further questions feel free to ask.&nbsp; - Gauss
OK. &nbsp;Ya, I am all for the not a "video game" thing. &nbsp;I simply wasn't sure if the interface was able to detect what "token" I was clicked on (i.e. selected) when I hit my macro to do something like&nbsp;&nbsp;/roll {1d20+4}&gt;=@Armor[target] &nbsp;Not really game specific at all. I hopped back on "as a player" and realized that while I can select "my" character token, I seem to have no ability to even select a monster token. Again, not saying a necessity, but being able to select and "target" a token isn't a bad thing for a lot of uses such as attack, healing, spells, etc. &nbsp;Even if all it does in the end is say: Torg attacks Orc 1 with his battleaxe! Torg :&nbsp; rolling 1d20+4&nbsp; (10 ) +4 =4 rolling 1d10+3 slashing damage&nbsp; ( 8 ) +3 = 11 Thanks again!
Gauss
Forum Champion
No, the interface does not do that. If you like, you can propose it in the suggestion forum. If enough people like the idea the Devs may consider it.&nbsp; - Gauss