Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Animation Feedback Thread 2.0

Edited 1555018752
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Animation Feedback & Bug Reporting Hi everyone! In an effort to provide some clarity and differentiation between issues we have split the Animations and AFoW threads. You can view the original thread here: Original Animations and AFoW Feedback Thread If you are looking for Advanced Fog of War you can check the new thread here: Advanced Fog of War Feedback Thread 2.0 These two threads will be running in tandem as we continue to resolve reported issues. The known issues and updates lists have also been separated for clarity's sake. Submitting a Report In order to best pass along information and submit tickets we request the following so that we can properly escalate issues. As always, ensure you also give the troubleshooting guide a try to ensure we are restricting any outlying effects. Keep multiple issues separated by post Narrow down causes: Turn off features that do not directly impact the issue (i.e. Dynamic Lighting or AFoW) Include a screenshot displaying the behavior if possible Link to an example game experiencing the issue Note: that this is not a join link Outline expected behavior vs actual behavior Reproduction steps for the issue Ideally from a fresh or pre-made game (module/add-on) A console log from the troubleshooting guide Clearing your console log prior to the action causing the problem can increase clarity and reduce overall post size We may have additional questions related to your particular issues but the above provides us a good baseline to work from.

Edited 1560544904
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Known Issues The following are known issues with Animations The uploader progress bar does not update very often, so it can be hard to tell if an animation has finished uploading. Be patient; animations take longer to upload and convert than static images. Animations do not work in cards; they display as a broken image. However, when you play the card to the VTT, the animation displays. Animations display as a broken image in the initiative tracker Setting the page background to transparent results in a thin border around animations. For table on tablet, when stopping animations, the animation disappears. When you first upload an animation, the thumbnail preview in the Recent Uploads list displays a broken image. Refreshing the page, or just the uploads list (clicking the little 2-box filter icon) fixes this. Addition of certain animations causes audio skipping (Added April 25) Fire uploads frames being lost on conversion (Tentative name) (Added April 27) Speaking as a character with an animated gif portrait shows a broken chat avatar (Added June 14) On Dev The following issues are in active testing for resolution on the Development Server None at this time Resolved Issues When the map or largest image on a page is an animation, the preview image in the page navigator appears as a broken image. For animations on the marketplace, the preview "frame" is rendered in a low-res image, so there's a slight "blurring" effect, and when the animation is halted, the image can be blurry due to the low resolution. This is the highest priority issue to fix, and when done, animations purchased from the marketplace will no longer be blurry; you will not need to re-add the animations to your games. Similarly, when an uploaded animation is stopped (such as when the Enable Animations checkbox is unchecked), the low-resolution preview image will display and may appear blurry. Static .gif images are converted to .webm. If you are uploading a static gif to a feature that doesn't fully support animations (such as rollable tables or card decks), it will result in a broken image in the feature's preview. Fixed on Mar 8 When zooming in on an animation, the controls do not work, and the animation does not display. This will be fixed in a hotfix on Jan 30. Animations do not work in rollable tables; they can upload to a table item, but they won't preview or be sent to the chat as a roll result, and the rollable table token won't display new sides when you change them.  Additionally, rollable table tokens with static images won't display the new side when changed. The new side does display when the browser is refreshed. This is another high-priority item to fix. Updates January 30 : Fix video popout when pressing 'z' with a token selected. February 14: The play/pause button on animated tokens no longer covers the status icons. March 4: Animations no longer have a "blurred frame" - When the Animations and AFoW changes went out, there were several Known Issues to be fixed, and one of the top ones was an issue in which animations would have one blurry frame. This was caused by the low-resolution preview frame being loaded in the animation. New animations will no longer have the single low-res frame (unless you made one, of course). If you have uploaded animations and experienced this issue, you'll need to re-upload your animations to fix them. Animations purchased in the marketplace will be fixed soon; if you've dragged an animation from the marketplace into your game, you will need to re-add it to the game after they are fixed. March 8: Webm uploads need to support transparency - Uploading animations now supports transparency in webm files. Static .gifs are being converted to webm - Static gifs are now converted to a static file format (which shows up as jpeg but is not a jpeg). May 28: Animations in rollable table tokens are now supported

Edited 1555019185
Drespar
Roll20 Team
To pass through information from the  original thread : With this split of the original thread I recognize that there are issues (I am still currently working through the original thread to update this one) that may not already be in the list. If you do not notice your issue in the  Known Issues  section, please feel free to re-post it so I can make sure it gets added in. Furthermore, if you are experiencing an issue that should be fixed per the  Resolved Issues  section, please state the numbered bullet corresponding with your issue (this will help greatly in quickly organizing!). I will be continuing to format these threads to assist in navigation. We are also continuing to gather a birds-eye-view of the original thread so that we can inform priorities going into the next round of fixes. I will be updating this post with general information outside of the direct topic at hand of this thread as I can. Thank you everyone for your patience!
And thank you for your diligence.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Scanning the old thread, it seems like animations run very slow. (Emphasis mine.) lewis c. Permalink &nbsp; Quote &nbsp; Report So, I recorded an example of the Jukebox issues I've been having since adding animations to my game. Here we see a 20x20 area, with 4 copies of a 10x10 animated overlay and some scenery. Note that both tracks that are playing (uploaded to roll20 and massively stripped down in quality to limit file size) chug and cut out intermittently. I should stress that - while the jukebox has never been the most stable part of roll20 in my experience - this problem has only arisen since I added the animations to my game. I'm using a plugin in the recording (VCC Enhancement Suite) however the same issues persist with it uninstalled. They also persist when logged in as a player. <a href="https://youtu.be/cHfifOhegy0" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/cHfifOhegy0</a> and Nick S.&nbsp; Pro &nbsp; Marketplace Creator &nbsp; Translator Permalink &nbsp; Quote &nbsp; Report Stephanie B. &nbsp;said: Nico, If you view just the animation in your browser, what kind of performance do you get? Can you post a console log from while the animations are running and when you try to delete the animation?&nbsp; Nico &nbsp;said: Performance with animations seems to be horrible. I testes it with my 2 of my players and it seems to consume a lot of cpu (~65% of my CPU: i5 3570k) and even 50% of more modern cpus. Also does not unload the animations properly: Even if I delete the animations, the high cpu usage does not disappear.&nbsp;&nbsp; I can also confirm that animations seem to have extremely poor performance in-game. Outside of the game I can have 50 tabs open with the large animations playing and looping at once without a problem, and in-game it seems to struggle even with one. It's not unplayable for me, but it is noticeable slower and stutter. I know there is a bug with audio + animations that causes that, but even without a single sound being played, animations seem to have trouble playing.&nbsp;
Thanks Brian for carrying those over! First Lewis-- creating a copy of the game I was unable to reproduce the behavior. Could you see if you can recreate the behavior in a new game (while the VTT Enhancement suite is disabled) while providing steps on what you added (marketplace file names would be useful here as well). With your current game, if you could grab a console log capturing when the sound stops it might also shed some light on what is interrupting it. Thanks! Nico, Could you run through the&nbsp; troubleshooting guide &nbsp;as well? Knowing what browser you are using and other such information from the above post will be very handy :) Additionally, it may also be worth trying to toggle Hardware Acceleration (On to off or vice-versa) on your browser to see if that has an effect. Thanks!

Edited 1555090630
Don’t forget to clean &nbsp;clear your cache as well. oops
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Hi Drespar, I have personally tested animations with Opera, Chrome and Firefox. In all of them, as soon as the pixel size of the animation starts going up, the animation makes the browser use a lot more cpu, and even though the cpu is not maxed out, the animations slow down considerably and stutter. It does not matter whether the animation was 1mb or 10mb before the upload. It does not matter if it was 30x30 tiles or an in-game upscaled animation originally 5x5 tiles. It does not matter if it has 5 fps or 30 fps. It does not matter if it's on a 2 second loop of 15 second loop. From what I could test, the larger the animation is (size in pixels) when rendered in the tabletop, the more trouble it has. The more it slows down and stutter in any browser. Edge / IE is not even worth mentioning as the animations don't even display transparency properly there, but that's the browser's fault. As I mentioned in the quote above, I can play several animations looping at the same time in the same browsers I am using to test without any problem whatsoever, even with the original animations I created which are much larger in size than what is allowed to upload to Roll20. But as soon as any one of them is in a Roll20 game, not only does it lose a great deal of quality, as they're compressed to ~10% of their original size (though that's a problem for another day), they play slowly and stutter. My point here is that browsers have tougher limitations than a desktop app, however a single animation shouldn't reach that limit. I could not help but notice that even though there's an overwhelming amount of reports , I could not find the performance problems in the known issues from the first post. I also could not find the Audio + Animations bug. There are a few reports in the previous thread with the corresponding console logs, it's even mentioned in Brian's quote above, and someone I helped with animation problems was having that issue as well. Some reports not in the old thread that may help or reinforce the issues of performance and quality inside Roll20: Memm &nbsp;said: The animations themselves are really well done, but unfortunately the effects almost unusable for large maps. Having more than two of the 25x25 or 30x30 animations active at the same time takes almost all of my CPU and GPU processing power (Firefox, 95-100%), freezing all animations and causing intense lag. Probably has to do with the way Roll20 uses animations, but unfortunately trying to cover larger map with these animations is not currently possible... The map I tried these on was 70x40 squares with dynamic lighting. [...] Yeah, unfortunately the problem is with the way Roll20 handles animations. Normally my CPU usage is -- even in a campaign with 5 years worth of stuff and large maps filled with assets -- around 5-10%. However, as soon as I add one 25x25 weather animation the CPU usage goes all the way up to 45%. Add in another and the CPU usage is ~80%. Third one clogs the computer. That's just bonkers. That said, these weather animations are superb. Shame that Roll20 doesn't work well with animations :/ Andrew &nbsp;said: [...] I gather Roll20 need to make some changes before these animations will be usable. Otherwise you may find a lot of ill-will created as other buyers come back here to bitch. I have been testing these now: 1. They only work in Chrome, not Firefox. I can't prescribe what browser my players must use. (In Firefox I get a black animated place holder to show where the animation would go, which covers up my map. Screenshot below shows 1 rain and 1 fog animation.).&nbsp; 2. They push CPU usage up high. Some of my players have crummy computers and will struggle. [...] Andrew &nbsp;said: UPDATE: I have found that if I disable Hardware Acceleration in Firefox, the animation works great! (but has a higher CPU usage). So I think the fault was not with the animation file, and not with roll20, and not with Firefox ... but with drivers or something related to my own PC's hardware. Big thanks to @Nick and @Stefan R for helping me figure this out. Teeleh 1 week ago (YT) I bought it and I really love the animations. Unfortunately, Roll20 is a resource glut and the animations bog it down even more. Here's hoping the animation layer resolves some of the stuttering. That's not a knock on you, though. Really awesome product. james reilly 2 weeks ago (YT) So pretty kewl; did have a question - within the video above the the effects are crisp and vibrant...for me the snow &amp; rain are dull not white as in the video.&nbsp; Am I missing something?&nbsp; Rocking pretty good internet and have now issues with system. Colt Gross 2 weeks ago (YT) How do you use this I keep getting the black backround and cant place anything over it or it covers the effect or my map piece [...] I figured it out just so you know it only works on chrome not windows 10 I really, really hope that those can be solved by the time the "layer up" update hits the tabletop. I've been testing and reporting these things since before animations went live months ago. It's an amazing feature, but so far poorly implemented.
(Firstly, thanks to Brian for copying my post over.) Alrighty, so I did as suggested and replicated the issue. I once again recorded the process: starting from the point where I launch the new game. (I actually started recording from the point where I created the game, but remembered that I still had VTT installed and had to go uninstall it) Same results. I did notice however, that after deleting the assets, the music continued to chug and cut out. I think it's pretty clear from the video however that it starts as soon as I start adding multiple animations to the game: <a href="https://youtu.be/wD5TeGP0jY4" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/wD5TeGP0jY4</a> (Music first starts failing at about 2:45) As for the log: I didn't want to flood the forum so I copied it into a PDF and uploaded it to dropbox: <a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qkh60w175u9ahl/Roll20Log.pdf?dl=0" rel="nofollow">https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qkh60w175u9ahl/Roll20Log.pdf?dl=0</a> The marketplace asset pack is named (In Roll20) "Weather Effects Animated Pack1" and each of the animations contained within seem to cause the same issues. They should all be visible in the recording. If it helps, I'm using Google Chrome with hardware acceleration switched on. The slowdown seems to be significantly reduced when I rejoin my game as a player, but my players have all reported similar issues with my sound cutting out when I use animations.
So glad to see from the release notes today that the Dev team has begun work on fixing issues with rollable tables. Hopefully one day soon, animations on rollable tables will be fixed as well. *Dreams on*
Moving report here:&nbsp; Lepton &nbsp;said: 10+ minutes for a 1 mb webm animation is a little on the obscene side, especially when I have about 30 of these files to upload to my art library. Any chance that these times will be cut down in the future, and is there anything at all I can do to get around this? Note that if I try to upload more than about 5 gifs or webms at a time, it'll crash the editor.

Edited 1556111327
It seems like something happens when uploading my gif/mp4 to Roll20 and they convert it to webm. Webm seems to break my animation. Before the upload in MP4: <a href="https://i.ibb.co/T02RFN6/LMu-J6-SMAK0.gif" rel="nofollow">https://i.ibb.co/T02RFN6/LMu-J6-SMAK0.gif</a> After the upload in webm: <a href="https://i.ibb.co/tC49ZGX/7-ZOs-OH3ob-T.gif" rel="nofollow">https://i.ibb.co/tC49ZGX/7-ZOs-OH3ob-T.gif</a> If you look at the end of the webm animation, on the left side of the gear, there is suddenly a tear in the image. This only happens when converting these animations to webm, in Gif and MP4 there is smooth transition.
From Lewis' post I was able to reproduce this with what you have provided. Thank you! I have added this to the known issues list while the devs investigate.
Re: Lepton's post: &nbsp;(Thanks for the transfer Dragon) That does sound a bit long for the upload size indeed. Could you go ahead and work through the submitting a report section and report back with what you find? I am especially interested in what images you are uploading and the console log around those uploads taking place. To that end, if you can grab a console log of when the crash happens (i.e. the multiple uploads) that would also be very helpful! Thank you!

Edited 1556358268
Is Video; sizeArray: Array(4)0: (3)&nbsp;[100, 100, "mini"]1: (3)&nbsp;[2048, 2048, "frame"]2: (3)&nbsp;[200, 200, "thumb"]3: (3)&nbsp;[512, 512, "med"]length: 4__proto__: Array(0) VM595:8 Reader load! ffmpeg-worker-webm.3.js:17 Cannot enlarge memory arrays. Either (1) compile with -s TOTAL_MEMORY=X with X higher than the current value 268435456, (2) compile with -s ALLOW_MEMORY_GROWTH=1 which allows increasing the size at runtime but prevents some optimizations, (3) set Module.TOTAL_MEMORY to a higher value before the program runs, or (4) if you want malloc to return NULL (0) instead of this abort, compile with -s ABORTING_MALLOC=0 ffmpeg-worker-webm.3.js:17 Cannot enlarge memory arrays. Either (1) compile with -s TOTAL_MEMORY=X with X higher than the current value 268435456, (2) compile with -s ALLOW_MEMORY_GROWTH=1 which allows increasing the size at runtime but prevents some optimizations, (3) set Module.TOTAL_MEMORY to a higher value before the program runs, or (4) if you want malloc to return NULL (0) instead of this abort, compile with -s ABORTING_MALLOC=0 w @ ffmpeg-worker-webm.3.js:17 ffmpeg-worker-webm.3.js:213 exception thrown: abort("Cannot enlarge memory arrays. Either (1) compile with -s TOTAL_MEMORY=X with X higher than the current value 268435456, (2) compile with -s ALLOW_MEMORY_GROWTH=1 which allows increasing the size at runtime but prevents some optimizations, (3) set Module.TOTAL_MEMORY to a higher value before the program runs, or (4) if you want malloc to return NULL (0) instead of this abort, compile with -s ABORTING_MALLOC=0 "). Build with -s ASSERTIONS=1 for more info. e.callMain @ ffmpeg-worker-webm.3.js:213 ffmpeg-worker-webm.3.js:20 Uncaught abort("Cannot enlarge memory arrays. Either (1) compile with -s TOTAL_MEMORY=X with X higher than the current value 268435456, (2) compile with -s ALLOW_MEMORY_GROWTH=1 which allows increasing the size at runtime but prevents some optimizations, (3) set Module.TOTAL_MEMORY to a higher value before the program runs, or (4) if you want malloc to return NULL (0) instead of this abort, compile with -s ABORTING_MALLOC=0 "). Build with -s ASSERTIONS=1 for more info. This is the console log I keep getting when uploading mp4 or webms.&nbsp; This is the file being uploaded:&nbsp; <a href="https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ifwU3Xh97mzzIYXXjEOaZ33YXcIlQjo9" rel="nofollow">https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ifwU3Xh97mzzIYXXjEOaZ33YXcIlQjo9</a> EDIT: Not certain, but it might be because that file is at 4k. I did a 1080p render and it uploaded in 20 minutes. DROP ON FILE UPLOAD app.js?1556035433:563 uploadstarted EVENT app.js?1556035433:552 Is Video; sizeArray: (4) [Array(3), Array(3), Array(3), Array(3)]0: (3) [100, 100, "mini"]1: (3) [2048, 2048, "frame"]2: (3) [200, 200, "thumb"]0: 2001: 2002: "thumb"length: 3__proto__: Array(0)add: ƒ (e,t)all: ƒ ()any: ƒ ()at: ƒ ()average: ƒ (e)clone: ƒ ()compact: ƒ (e)concat: ƒ concat()constructor: ƒ Array()copyWithin: ƒ copyWithin()count: ƒ (e)each: ƒ (e,t,n)entries: ƒ entries()every: ƒ ()exclude: ƒ ()fill: ƒ fill()filter: ƒ ()find: ƒ ()findAll: ƒ (e,t,n)findFrom: ƒ (e,t,n)findIndex: ƒ ()findIndexFrom: ƒ (e,t,n)first: ƒ (e)flat: ƒ flat()flatMap: ƒ flatMap()flatten: ƒ (e)forEach: ƒ forEach()from: ƒ (e)groupBy: ƒ (e,t)inGroups: ƒ (e,t)inGroupsOf: ƒ (e,t)include: ƒ (e,t)includes: ƒ includes()indexOf: ƒ indexOf()insert: ƒ (e,t)intersect: ƒ ()isEmpty: ƒ ()join: ƒ join()keys: ƒ keys()last: ƒ (e)lastIndexOf: ƒ lastIndexOf()least: ƒ (e,t)length: 0map: ƒ ()max: ƒ (e,t)min: ƒ (e,t)most: ƒ (e,t)none: ƒ ()pop: ƒ pop()push: ƒ push()randomize: ƒ ()reduce: ƒ reduce()reduceRight: ƒ reduceRight()remove: ƒ ()removeAt: ƒ (e,t)reverse: ƒ reverse()sample: ƒ (e)shift: ƒ shift()slice: ƒ slice()some: ƒ ()sort: ƒ sort()sortBy: ƒ (e,t)splice: ƒ splice()subtract: ƒ ()sum: ƒ (e)to: ƒ (e)toLocaleString: ƒ toLocaleString()toString: ƒ toString()union: ƒ ()unique: ƒ (e)unshift: ƒ unshift()values: ƒ values()zip: ƒ ()Symbol(Symbol.iterator): ƒ values()Symbol(Symbol.unscopables): {copyWithin: true, entries: true, fill: true, find: true, findIndex: true, …}__proto__: Object3: (3) [512, 512, "med"]0: 5121: 5122: "med"length: 3__proto__: Array(0)length: 4__proto__: Array(0)add: ƒ (e,t)arguments: nullcaller: nulllength: 2name: "add"prototype: {constructor: ƒ}__proto__: ƒ ()[[FunctionLocation]]: app.js?1556035433:276[[Scopes]]: Scopes[2]all: ƒ ()any: ƒ ()at: ƒ ()average: ƒ (e)clone: ƒ ()compact: ƒ (e)concat: ƒ concat()constructor: ƒ Array()copyWithin: ƒ copyWithin()count: ƒ (e)each: ƒ (e,t,n)entries: ƒ entries()every: ƒ ()exclude: ƒ ()fill: ƒ fill()filter: ƒ ()find: ƒ ()findAll: ƒ (e,t,n)findFrom: ƒ (e,t,n)findIndex: ƒ ()findIndexFrom: ƒ (e,t,n)first: ƒ (e)flat: ƒ flat()flatMap: ƒ flatMap()flatten: ƒ (e)forEach: ƒ forEach()from: ƒ (e)groupBy: ƒ (e,t)inGroups: ƒ (e,t)inGroupsOf: ƒ (e,t)include: ƒ (e,t)includes: ƒ includes()indexOf: ƒ indexOf()insert: ƒ (e,t)intersect: ƒ ()isEmpty: ƒ ()join: ƒ join()keys: ƒ keys()last: ƒ (e)lastIndexOf: ƒ lastIndexOf()least: ƒ (e,t)length: 0map: ƒ ()max: ƒ (e,t)min: ƒ (e,t)most: ƒ (e,t)none: ƒ ()pop: ƒ pop()push: ƒ push()randomize: ƒ ()reduce: ƒ reduce()reduceRight: ƒ reduceRight()remove: ƒ ()removeAt: ƒ (e,t)reverse: ƒ reverse()sample: ƒ (e)shift: ƒ shift()slice: ƒ slice()some: ƒ ()sort: ƒ sort()sortBy: ƒ (e,t)splice: ƒ splice()subtract: ƒ ()sum: ƒ (e)to: ƒ (e)toLocaleString: ƒ toLocaleString()toString: ƒ toString()union: ƒ ()unique: ƒ (e)unshift: ƒ unshift()values: ƒ values()zip: ƒ ()Symbol(Symbol.iterator): ƒ values()Symbol(Symbol.unscopables): {copyWithin: true, entries: true, fill: true, find: true, findIndex: true, …}__proto__: Object app.js?1556035433:552 Reader load! app.js?1556035433:552 Uploading a size: 100x100 app.js?1556035433:552 Uploading a size: 2048x2048 app.js?1556035433:552 Uploading a size: 200x200 app.js?1556035433:542 [Violation] 'requestAnimationFrame' handler took 223ms //This part took 15 minutes app.js?1556035433:552 Uploading a size: 512x512 // This part took 5 minutes app.js?1556035433:562 larger than page! app.js?1556035433:546 Swapping sample.png placeholder to frame.png app.js?1556035433:546 Swapping sample.png placeholder to frame.png app.js?1556035433:547 Reorder by ZORDER app.js?1556035433:555 refershing page listings!
Re: Jip's post Thank you for the image links! I have submitted a ticket to investigate further. For the time being I have added it to the known issues list.
Man, oh man.&nbsp; I can't wait to start using these animations on a rollable table for the Pixie NPC in my game. :D
Well I just found this and I guess I'm not going crazy. After speaking with several other DMs, it appears that all of us are having the same major issues with any kind of animated effects being a giant drain on the CPU. Can confirm, this is definitely a widespread issue.
Richard Jokes said: Well I just found this and I guess I'm not going crazy. After speaking with several other DMs, it appears that all of us are having the same major issues with any kind of animated effects being a giant drain on the CPU. Can confirm, this is definitely a widespread issue. Yes having the same issues, and I am on a high end desktop.
Anthony V. said: Richard Jokes said: Well I just found this and I guess I'm not going crazy. After speaking with several other DMs, it appears that all of us are having the same major issues with any kind of animated effects being a giant drain on the CPU. Can confirm, this is definitely a widespread issue. Yes having the same issues, and I am on a high end desktop. Can confirm: while my rig is a good few years old now, it's certainly still more powerful than the average and yet chugs massively when I introduce animations into Roll20.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Not sure if this is a big or an intended function. I have an Animation that I use that is a 10 minute countdown timer. I click and drag this to my Landing Page, disable Loop, and then click Play to start the animation. Works fine. Next a player logs in to my game and is redirected to the Landing Page - as expected. Once that user gets logged in the Animation restarts from the beginning. This happens any time a player logs in. Is this intended or a bug? It would also be nice to have other animation controls like Restart and Fast Forward.
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Animations are not synchronized... they can be started and stopped, but aren't as far as I know synchronized frame to frame across instances.&nbsp;
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
But why does the animation start over for me (GM) and the player that logs in?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't know if this is still accurate, but this is what was released about syncing in the original feedback thread : When you pause a looping animation, it will pause for everyone in the game. Otherwise, animations do not sync among users in the game. For example, if you have an animation running, and a player joins your game, they will see the animation starting at the first frame, not whatever frame you are on when they join. If you pause the animation, however, it will pause on the same frame for everyone.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Keith Thanks, I missed that and yes that does happen as stated, which is unfortunate. However the animation restarts for the GM as well when the player logs in. I have not checked if it restarts for players already lo geed in as well.

Edited 1559095365
Any update on this issue?&nbsp; Found it.
Richard Jokes said: Any update on this issue?&nbsp; Found it. See here:&nbsp; Release Notes for May 28, 2019 &nbsp;
Any updates on the performance issues: both with animations themselves and the jukebox? No news anywhere on those fronts from what I can see.
Moving report here: Gargamond &nbsp;said: Animated tokens composed of only 2 frames (the lowest and most convenient amount of data spent on uploading animated tokens) break and do not animate. When I uploaded a .gif file containing the following 2 frames: The animated token broke and would not move. When I duplicated the frames thusly: And uploaded them as a 4 frame .gif file, the animated token worked as intended.&nbsp; I'd prefer to keep my upload data to a minimum.&nbsp; Please fix this issue.
Gargamond, Could you try adding various delays to your 2 frame version and see if that allows it to work?
Drespar said: Gargamond, Could you try adding various delays to your 2 frame version and see if that allows it to work? I will try that.
Drespar said: Gargamond, Could you try adding various delays to your 2 frame version and see if that allows it to work? I have added as much as one second delay to both frames and that did not work.&nbsp; Any more than one second and it's not worth even having an animated token at all IMHO.
So, I've been experimenting with using an animation for my character's token in our DnD 5e game ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1685133/ruins-of-crieff" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1685133/ruins-of-crieff</a> ). It works great as far as the board is concerned, but there is a small problem. When talking as the character in the chat, their avatar is missing, appearing as the placeholder "image failed to load" picture. This happens whether the token is a gif, mp4, or webm. I wouldn't expect the avatar in the chat to be animated, but I'd expect it to just appear as the first frame of the animation (as it does in the character sheet list). Is there anything I can do about this?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I have been unable to upload .mp4 or .webm. on Chrome or Firefox. Firefox is clean as I hardly ever use it. In either browser, the upload never seems to do anything except using up CPU. The video shows up in my recent uploads, but any attempt to use it on the VTT has no visible result, and setting it as a character sheet portrait just shows an empty white square. Console log is "2019-06-13 animation upload.txt" at the following link: <a href="https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkzsoGnoESHqhbYk7sTfjtoZHEIQMQ" rel="nofollow">https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkzsoGnoESHqhbYk7sTfjtoZHEIQMQ</a>
Hi Bralef, That would certainly throw me off in text based games! I have added a ticket and it will be added to the issue list! Hey Brian! Is it safe to assume it does not upload even after multiple attempts? Could you provide the source material for the upload (You can PM it too me if necessary)? It looks like a few portions of the upload worked find but the webm was not successful in making it to the image server.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Drespar said: Hey Brian! Is it safe to assume it does not upload even after multiple attempts? Could you provide the source material for the upload (You can PM it too me if necessary)? It looks like a few portions of the upload worked find but the webm was not successful in making it to the image server. PM sent.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Brian C. said: Drespar said: Hey Brian! Is it safe to assume it does not upload even after multiple attempts? Could you provide the source material for the upload (You can PM it too me if necessary)? It looks like a few portions of the upload worked find but the webm was not successful in making it to the image server. PM sent. Any luck?
Hi Brian, Sorry for not responding sooner-- no update just yet on the issue. I have poked the dev team with more information as I was able to reproduce the effect on my end as well consistently.

Edited 1561120004
My animation tokens keep disappearing from my game. Oddly enough the players can still see them in their game but they blink out of existence in my game. It seems to be happening when I log out and log back in.
Anyone know how to get animations to not have a background? It seems like all my animations I have purchased show up with a black or white background. I am using Firefox.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Anthony V. said: Anyone know how to get animations to not have a background? It seems like all my animations I have purchased show up with a black or white background. I am using Firefox. This might not apply, but the times I’ve heard of this problem are because of this. Are you uploading the files to Roll20 after purchase? If you are buying them on the Roll20 marketplace, they will appear in your art library without needing to upload and should be able to be dragged into your game from there without the backgrounds.&nbsp;
Anthony V. said: Anyone know how to get animations to not have a background? It seems like all my animations I have purchased show up with a black or white background. I am using Firefox. PM me for a link to an app that removes backgrounds from gifs.
Sadly, everything I've experienced with this has made it to where buying any animated products from the market place are a waste of money with how this feature is functioning. Been a while now and still no fix.
My music is pausing/skipping when animations are on the page, this continues even after leaving that page, I have to reload the browser to fix it. That is on top of the fact that the animated objects themselves continually disappear after I reload a page whether they are on the map layer or the objects layer. It's incredibly frustrating, I don't know why I am paying for a product that simply doesn't do what it says it would do.&nbsp;
Ed S. said: My music is pausing/skipping when animations are on the page, this continues even after leaving that page, I have to reload the browser to fix it. That is on top of the fact that the animated objects themselves continually disappear after I reload a page whether they are on the map layer or the objects layer. It's incredibly frustrating, I don't know why I am paying for a product that simply doesn't do what it says it would do.&nbsp; Which browser are you using?
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Hey Brian, I received your files, and I was able to upload each of them and place on a map. It did &nbsp;take a while, because of how much encoding is required even for your webm files. Would you give them another shot? I'll stress patience as being key, but the webm files require less work. Brian C. said: Brian C. said: Drespar said: Hey Brian! Is it safe to assume it does not upload even after multiple attempts? Could you provide the source material for the upload (You can PM it too me if necessary)? It looks like a few portions of the upload worked find but the webm was not successful in making it to the image server. PM sent. Any luck?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Kenton said: Hey Brian, I received your files, and I was able to upload each of them and place on a map. It did &nbsp;take a while, because of how much encoding is required even for your webm files. Would you give them another shot? I'll stress patience as being key, but the webm files require less work. Hi Kenton, Thanks for the update. Do you have a rough estimate of how long it took? Then I can wait up to twice as long and have an idea of the process being a success or failure on my end.

Edited 1562170584
Purchased a weather effect packages from the Marketplace and found the following when attempting to add the files to my maps layer Mac 10.13.6 1. It will only work in Firefox. The same animated graphic in Chrome ultimately becomes opaque, blocking everything underneath. There's also a flashing effect when the animation loops. This despite updating Chrome and trying it again with hardware acceleration turned off: the result is always the same. Firefox works beautifully, except... 2. Very heavy CPU usage. Roll20 does not seem to function very well implementing this kind of effect. I'm not sure that it's reasonable for me to prescribe which browser for my players to use so I'm just putting this out there fyi. It's a great effect. I hope I'll be able to try this again some time in future. Was really wanting to get the "Silent Hill" vibe going for tomorrow's session, but imagination will do instead.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Brian C. said: Hi Kenton, Thanks for the update. Do you have a rough estimate of how long it took? Then I can wait up to twice as long and have an idea of the process being a success or failure on my end. I don't know for certain, but I will test again and keep track of time.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Kenton said: Brian C. said: Hi Kenton, Thanks for the update. Do you have a rough estimate of how long it took? Then I can wait up to twice as long and have an idea of the process being a success or failure on my end. I don't know for certain, but I will test again and keep track of time. It's okay. I got it to work. I just did not realize that the upload process would take the better part of an hour. Thanks to Drespar and Kenton for the hand holding.
Gargamond said: Ed S. said: My music is pausing/skipping when animations are on the page, this continues even after leaving that page, I have to reload the browser to fix it. That is on top of the fact that the animated objects themselves continually disappear after I reload a page whether they are on the map layer or the objects layer. It's incredibly frustrating, I don't know why I am paying for a product that simply doesn't do what it says it would do.&nbsp; Which browser are you using? I'm using Chrome. I haven't tried in Firefox