Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Splitting party up in a large multi-level map

Hi all, I recently purchased Mansion of Mystery from the Roll20 marketplace. It's a large, four-level Victorian manor (each floor is roughly 40x44 squares). I want to enable dynamic lighting and use it as both the site for a murder mystery investigation (part 1) and then a dungeon crawl (part 2). For the dungeon crawl portion, I want the ability to split players up on the map, which brings me to how I should approach using this product in Roll20. If I split the map into four different pages, then my players can't split up, unless I use an API script that allows them to be on different pages (and maybe teleport to a specific square on each page?). Can anyone provide guidance on which script to use, and how to use it? I looked at one from the Wiki page but couldn't make much sense of how to use it (I'm not a programmer, so please have mercy on my lack of knowledge). Alternatively, if I tried to put all four maps on the same Roll20 page, working out to a page spanning roughly 160x44 squares, I assume dynamic lighting would lead to serious performance issues and lag. Perhaps that assumption isn't correct? Any guidance would be appreciated!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Jay, You don't need an API script to split the party between pages. API scripts like MapChange, Teleport, and my own PageNavigator (currently needing a serious update and repair) simply make the page navigation easier (or at least are supposed to). To see how to split the party manually, see the wiki .
Scott C. said: Hi Jay, You don't need an API script to split the party between pages. API scripts like MapChange, Teleport, and my own PageNavigator (currently needing a serious update and repair) simply make the page navigation easier (or at least are supposed to). To see how to split the party manually, see the wiki . Thank you! I have some reading to do. :)
Also, apologies for posting for help on something the core Roll20 functionality already does. I honestly thought splitting the party wasn't available unless you installed some custom script. 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
No worries, you should never feel bad about posting a question; that's what the forums are for! Happy to help, and glad there was a solution for you.
I need to do this in my game. I installed 'mapchange' but i can't get it working for me. It says 'maps ready' when the game loads...  but all of the commands such as 'help' don't seem to do anything :( 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You are entering it as this? !mc help Map Change is the one I use, and I use it with macros. I have it configured to allow mapchanging to any page by default, as I had issues with the tag feature. I just give the players a chat macro with the pages they are allowed to change to. ​/w gm &{template:5e-shaped} {{title=Player Menu}} {{text_big=🧭 **Change Map** [Rejoin Party](!mc rejoin) [Home Page](!mc move --target Home) [High Harbor City Map](!mc move --target High Harbor) [Western Lands](!mc move --target Western Lands) [World of Elda Map](!mc move --target World Map)}}

Edited 1557080581
Yep. - Copied and pasted just to be sure... Nah, it's not doing anything. - I'm not seeing any errors showing up in the log either: EDIT: Wierdly, it actually works on my other campaign, with the exact same list of API's running. - The only difference between the two is that one has about 30 maps, and about 2,500? tokens split across each of them (Dungeon of the Mad Mage) - and the other campaign (which it actually works on) is pretty much empty.