Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

HP going over max value in bar 1

Recently, I've noticed that no matter what the max HP value is in for a monster or character in bar 1, healing a character beyond max will actually add hit points over the HP maximum. Never used to be like this. Anyone else encountered this problem? Alternatively, what would a common explanation for this behavior be?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This has always been possible, barring an API script. The old behavior was to display it as an overrun. The recent behavior was not to display it at all. The new behavior is to show it with numbers or a + or - sign.
OK, thanks for the info. Why on earth would the behavior have changed? Not displaying at all was definitely my preference!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It changed because a whole lot of people wanted a way for overages and underages* to show. There have been a number of threads regarding recent changes to the bars. Some systems need to indicate below zero or above max on some attributes. If you prefer not to have the numbers show, you can turn off the text in the bars (though the + and - are non-negotiable, apparently). If you would like, I'll see if I can scrounge up the API script I use to constrain vales to between 0 and max. It might only be for the Shaped Sheet, but if you have any coding chops, you can probably modify it. *I'm not sure that's a word in this context, but I'm going to make it one. :)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
This is the script I use for this. The only character sheet specific part is the attribute name for temp hit points on line 8. &nbsp;The script will manage subtracting damage from temp hp automatically, and puts the chained-heart status marker on tokens with temp hp (and a count if it's less than 10). <a href="https://gist.github.com/shdwjk/8246c42c8c5550a4986050175062fc94" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/shdwjk/8246c42c8c5550a4986050175062fc94</a>
Thank you both!
keithcurtis said: It changed because a whole lot of people wanted a way for overages and underages* to show. There have been a number of threads regarding recent changes to the bars. Some systems need to indicate below zero or above max on some attributes. If you prefer not to have the numbers show, you can turn off the text in the bars (though the + and - are non-negotiable, apparently). If you would like, I'll see if I can scrounge up the API script I use to constrain vales to between 0 and max. It might only be for the Shaped Sheet, but if you have any coding chops, you can probably modify it. *I'm not sure that's a word in this context, but I'm going to make it one. :) I have little or no coding chops, but I'll give it my best shot. :)