Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token actions and character abilities

Hi.  Apologies in advance for what's probably about to be a stupid question.  I'm very new to this macro world in Roll20.  I do have pretty decent background in programming, so that is not the problem.  But, I just want to experiment with simple token actions.  From just experimentations, I figured out the call for initiative roll in the 5E character sheet, and made a global token action from it.  But, I wanted to try something like attacking with a certain weapon, but I'm having trouble finding any documentations on the character sheet to know how to do this.  Does anyone have a link to thorough documentation that lists all the function calls that I can utilize for character abilities/token actions? I hope that made sense.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Two quick tools that can help. If the sheet you are using allows you to say, click on a weapon and send the attack to chat, you can click in the chat input area, press the up arrow key, and scroll back through the previous messages that were sent to chat. That can help you see how your sheet does it. Also, if your sheet has such a click and do feature, you can usually click on it and drag it down to your macro bar, making a button. You will need to make your macro bar visible on your settings page if you have not already. As far as educating yourself goes, the wiki has several helpful pages: Dice Reference Macros Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition  (System Guide) 5th Edition OGL by Roll20  (Sheet Guide)
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Well... if you're playing with the fifth edition rules... here's how I do it:  First, make a macro in the COLLECTIONS tab - it can be anything - and set its little checkbox to "In Bar" - so it shows at the bottom of the page. I'll explain why in a moment. The macro body can be anything, it doesn't matter.  Now, open a character sheet with the attack you want to use for the token macro. And click and drag that weapon action from the attacks DOWN TO THE MACRO BAR AT THE BOTTOM. It should create its own button when it is lined up.   We're not finished. Now, click that button - it will generate an attack in the chat. Go to the chat, and hit the "up" arrow on the directional keys. This will spit out a strange looking macro into the chat entry. Copy this whole thing.  Go back to the character sheet you want that attack on. Open the "Attributes and Abilities" tab.  Add an ability and click the little pencil to edit it, and paste in the macro you got from the chat entry.  Now save it (rename it first if you want) and check the box that says "show as a token action."  Now when you select the token associated with that character sheet, you should see the token actions at the top only then. What I do for new players is do this for their initiative, since initiative is always fiddly and you have to have the token selected: if it's a token action, they can select the token first and then click the "initiative" button that is only visible if the token is selected. 
Thank you to both.  I will try what is suggested.   Incidentally, I've already created a macro for initiative rolls.  It was easy to guess the function call, "Initiative" and it was simple one line script to make the token action.  I was hoping making character abilities - in particular common attack form/spells would be just as easy. %{selected|Initiative}
Hi.  Just want to update and say the dragging to macro bar worked well, though a bit tedious.
aisforanagrams said: Hi.&nbsp; Just want to update and say the dragging to macro bar worked well, though a bit tedious. Agreed, yes it is very tedious. Like you, I'm new to Roll20 and still getting my head around the Macro language but I've had a minor success that could be of help with your learning curve. Here is a link to my nifty attack macro for NPCs, and I'm sure the same could be applied for characters as well. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7425733/d-and-d5e-ive-cracked-it-my-personal-perfect-npc-attack-macros" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7425733/d-and-d5e-ive-cracked-it-my-personal-perfect-npc-attack-macros</a> And if you think all this faffing about is tiresome like I do, then I have put in a suggestion that could use your vote! :) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7347663/token-selection-new-attack-options-button-show-attack-options" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7347663/token-selection-new-attack-options-button-show-attack-options</a> Feel free to ask for assistance and I'll try to help.