Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Batch Edit Token Properties

Specifically, the thing I'm looking for at the moment is the ability to set auras on several tokens at once, but you ought to be able to bring up the Settings dialog with all the stuff that's common shown and editable, and all the stuff that's not common gray or empty but still editable (which will make it the same for all the tokens). This is a fairly standard UI paradigm, and it would make the GM's job a whole lot easier when doing things like applying spell effects to a batch of tokens all at once. Speaking of spell effects, I'd also like to be able to set the "overlay" icons as a batch as well, for the same reasons. Maybe add a tab to the Settings dialog where you can set these? That would also make it easier to set multiple overlays on a single token if you needed to do that. Aaron
Batch editing is possible through the API.
Perhaps, but creating all of your maps with the API is even more cumbersome than changing each object separately. (I had a similar thread about changing the tint on multiple objects at once, but yours is more general and therefore a better request).
Editing tokens is not creating maps... I have an api script that lets me mass select all the monster tokens, set their properties to the default settings I use, give them a health bar, aura, and get them ready to go.
I'm aware that it's possible through the API, but I haven't gotten into scripting yet. That just seems like more work than it ought to take to do something simple, and it requires you to know in advance what change you want to make.
It's actually a fairly simple script and does not require you to know in advance. I can change aura colors on the fly. I just have to know the hex color code and there's a billion sites out there with all the colors of everything in hex.
Sorry, I wasn't being clear... creating maps was why I wanted this, and what Aaron wanted didn't seem that much different. You seem to be talking about setting up defaults for yourself, for things you do a lot, but I'd like to just be able to throw down a dozen mobs or four dozen map tiles and mass edit them. It sounds like a fantastic idea to me, and I'm not sure how easily it can be done with the API? I guess you could have a chat command that takes your selected token and makes it the "brush" and then chat commands that copy certain attributes over to other tokens that you select... is there even an API function to see what is currently selected?
What editing are you doing to map tiles? Those you move around and place... there's not much reason to edit their properties. As for tokens, an API script can do everything you want.
!set-aura @{selected|token_id} ?{Aura 1 or 2|1} ?{hex color code|#000000} Then write a simple script to get the token by its id and set the chosen aura.
You could also use msg.selected to loop through the token id's of all tokens selected and do the same thing.
Regardless, most people aren't going to write scripts to do a simple task like this. I'm actually a software engineer, so I know that I could definitely do this, but I haven't put the effort into it yet to learn how. If I don't (yet) write scripts, the learning curve for non-programmers must be prohibitive. This should be doable through the UI. Aaron
Most people don't have to. Only one person has to... and paste it here on the forums. I wrote just such a script. I just haven't shared it yet, because I'm cleaning up all my scripts and trying to find/catch any errors and stop any problems that would cause the API to shutdown.
I had been making all my tiles in grey so that I could tint them. So I would have walls, corners, doorways, various floors and then tint them all. Sure, I can tint first and then copy/paste but that makes it hard to change my mind later or to just copy/paste large rooms as a different colour. I had not known (or had forgotten) that there was such a thing as msg.selected. This opens up whole new avenues. :) I do feel that this should be a free-level feature, but anyways, here's a script: <a href="https://gist.github.com/Parmeisan/9940642" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/Parmeisan/9940642</a> It takes a list of properties, so for example this would save the values of "name" and "showname" for the currently selected objects, and then paint the values of those properties into the new selection: !batch brush name showname !batch paint name showname It's a lot to type, so you'd probably want macros for the ones you commonly use. You could keep them hidden except while editting.