Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Non numbers in damage roll field of Attack

Edited 1558049206
Hi folks, I was wondering if there's a way to break out of the inherent in-line roll that seems to be encapsulating the damage field of an Attack? If I try putting text or anything that isn't a number or die roll it seems to not work.

Edited 1558051677
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
That's the intention of an inline-roll... ;-P You can add "tags" inside an inline-roll e.g. [[ 1d20+@{str-mod} [attack] ]] Only seen on hovering over the results though. What's your use case?  Sheet?
Sheet: 5e OGL Intention: to use Attacks as non attack actions (eg. 5E Paladin Divine sense) and place small descriptors  This is what I can achieve: If I create a damage-template roll myself, I can use text in the damage value: &{template:dmg} {{rname=Divine Sense}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=∞}} {{dmg1type=Celestials, Fiends and Undead}} {{range=60 ft}} {{desc=You sense the presence and location of Celestials, Fiends, and Undead within 60 ft. that are not behind total cover. Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the hallow spell.}} The infinity symbol is a Unichar. But regardless in the regular repeating attacks, it doesn't seem to allow any text in the damage value unless it's a tag on a dice roll.

Edited 1558072104
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm not that familiar with the OGL sheet, but I assume there's probably some sheetworker code that checks the value of dmgbase to verify it's in the correct format in order to prevent errors within the sheet's attack macro.  Why not just use the description field(which is used for text and/or inline rolls) of the attack only, or add a Class Feature and roll that to chat instead of using an attack as a non-attack?  Not meaning to sound snarky, but it seems that there are a few options that should work for non-attacks.
Kai
Plus
Sheet Author
As an alternative you could use the Features and Traits section of the sheet. You can send the description of the features to chat.

Edited 1558105853
Vince said: I'm not that familiar with the OGL sheet, but I assume there's probably some sheetworker code that checks the value of dmgbase to verify it's in the correct format in order to prevent errors within the sheet's attack macro.  Why not just use the description field(which is used for text and/or inline rolls) of the attack only, or add a Class Feature and roll that to chat instead of using an attack as a non-attack?  Not meaning to sound snarky, but it seems that there are a few options that should work for non-attacks. I know I can definitely do it using features and traits, a macro and so on. What I'm trying to achieve is consistency in character actions--so they can all be executed from the Attacks & Spellcasting repeating section. Basically I want my players to be able to go to one section of their sheet and get all  their class/racial actions.  I just don't like is when the damage value is empty, as the chat message looks a bit barren--doubly so when there's a big blurb of text in the description. I appreciate everyone's input so far. I will continue with my current method and also explore alternatives.