Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New token pack - Looking for feedback!

Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Hello everyone!&nbsp; My name is Fernando Dominguez&nbsp;and as some of you may&nbsp;know my first Token pack (The Orc Tribe) just went up on the Marketplace <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/107/orc-tribe" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/107/orc-tribe</a> &nbsp;(Shameless plug).&nbsp; Since the site doesn't currently have a feature to rate packs, give feedback or allow you to contact me directly I am creating this thread as a way to communicate with you.&nbsp; Please use this space to give me any feedback you may have, constructive criticism, ideas or requests for future packs, or even general and random questions about the packs, me, my process, etc.&nbsp; You can find a blog post about the process I use to create these tokens here: <a href="http://blog.roll20.net/" rel="nofollow">http://blog.roll20.net/</a> &nbsp;but if there's anything else you'd like to know I'd be happy to answer any and all questions.&nbsp; I will try my best to check this thread often and answer all your questions.&nbsp; Lastly, I am currently hard at work on my next pack featuring Goblins, Hobgoblins and Bugbears so if you have any ideas or requests of what you would like included in that&nbsp;one please let me know.&nbsp; I am particularly interested in learning if you like the idea of having two different color schemes (Regular and muted)&nbsp;for each token.&nbsp; Thanks for reading, and I want to thank all of you who have picked up The Orc Tribe so far!&nbsp; FD
I just want to say that these look great! If I pull the trigger and run a game with roll20 I will definitely buy this pack. Can't wait to see your other packs.&nbsp; Off the top of my head I don't tnk that the multiple color schemes is that important to me.&nbsp;
That is awsome it looks really nice how ever i dont have 5 bucks to spend on em atm other wise i would so have a orc and dwarf Lotr battle for morria lol :)
Gauss
Forum Champion
Very nice. A couple of suggestions (as a user, not as a Moderator):&nbsp; Some games such as Pathfinder use a 2x2 base for large creatures, even long ones like Horses and large Wolves. Due to this I would make a copy of the mounted characters and expand the clear section so that the image width is the same as the height. That way there are both the original 1:2 versions and the Pathfinder 2:2 version. At least 1 wolf is not 1:2 (I think it is 512 by 1200 = 1:2.34). When it is dropped into Roll20 it is going to be distorted (thinned) in order to fit 1x2. Any art which is not a whole number ratio will get distorted when dropped into Roll20. - Gauss
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Gauss! I will make these changes&nbsp;later today&nbsp;add them to the pack.&nbsp; I've never played Pathfnder (Always wanted to though!) so I wasn't aware of that!&nbsp; Definitely will keep that in mind for the future. Mojoboko and Perry, I appreciate the compliments!
Gauss
Forum Champion
NP Fernando. :) - Gauss
IsItMyTurnYet
Marketplace Creator
Wow, these look great &amp;&nbsp; are right up my ally. They seem to be colorful while remaining a little "realistic" looking. I don't have plans to feautre orcs much in my campaign, but if I did, I'd give these a try.
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Thank you Matt , I really appreciate that! What kind of campaign are you running or do you normally run? I could definitely take it into consideration for future packs! Gauss , I believe I fixed the problems with the wolves, I added new tokens to the pack that are 2:2 and I also fixed the previous ones that were 1200px instead of 1024px; thank you for pointing that out!
The pack is great. I really love your art style. For future packs I would request sets of adventurers both male and female of varying classes. I usually run sci-fi campaigns, and there are some but not many sci-fi themed packs so far, and your art style is very appealing to me. Also I occasionally run superhero games, and there are no superhero themed packs yet. Just some ideas.
IsItMyTurnYet
Marketplace Creator
Fernando , My campaigns feature a heavy variety of creatures(D&amp;D&nbsp; and Pathfinder btw). If at some point you find yourself wanting to do a "Best Of"/Variety pack featuring famous creatures such as Beholders, Dragons, Zombies, Devils, Demons etc., then I'd definitely take a strong look at that. I really dig your art style, but I can't see myself paying $4.99 for any "Pack of 1 type of creature". Perhaps down the line if you release a Dragon Pack, Goblin pack etc.. You could take a select #&nbsp; of creature in those packs and create a Variety Pack. Just my $0.02. Glad to have talented artists coming out of the woodwork for Roll20. :)
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Robert , Thank you for your feedback.&nbsp; I am planning my next pack to be my first set of adventurers as a matter of fact! At this time I'm only doing Fantasy, although I do plan to do modern and sci-fi settings in the future.&nbsp; I'm a big superhero fan myself, but those are very tricky to do because generally a superhero's outfit is very personal, so I'm not sure how popular a generic pack would be. As for a Sci-Fi pack, why would you like to see in one? What type of setting would you prefer? A more realistic Star Trek, Mass Effect&nbsp;type world or more of a Space Opera like Star Wars?&nbsp; I want to cover the common fantasy themes first but jumping into Sci-Fi now and again would be a nice change of pace. Matt , thank you again for your feedback! I definitely plan to do variety packs in the future, of course by its very definition a variety pack requires me to first&nbsp;create a few of the specialized "1-creature" packs I'm doing now so I can then use those assets to build the variety one; hopefully by the summer I will be able to build one or two variety packs. I'm also happy to see all these great artists contributing content to the site!&nbsp; Roll 20 is not only a great idea and well built tabletop gaming tool but also a fantastic community.&nbsp; Everyone seems to have a great attitude and the&nbsp;developers/mods are really awesome to work with, I can't praise them enough.
Fernando, your work with that set was absolutely stunning. It really grabbed my attention when I was browsing the Marketplace. So much so that I actually reworked a portion of my campaign to include those tokens as a regularly appearing element. I would love to feature pieces from artists such as yourself on a regular basis Please let me know when you make more of anything! Because I'll probably end up buying them! I'd like to echo Robert's request for sci-fi material. I've been hankering for some more realistically themed "young Earth" type sci-fi tokens (Ender's Game, Dune, Old Man's War, Star Trek, etc.) but honestly, I'd take anything that's crafted by a talented person such as yourself. Can't wait to see what you release next!
As far as feedback goes... Well to put it shortly&nbsp;when&nbsp;I linked your token pack to my fellow players in Greenskin based Pathfinder game (Orks Goblins, etc races primarily) at least three of them were trying to find a way to get money to our GM so she can buy it for the group&nbsp;within&nbsp;about 30 seconds of me showing them. So it may be a niche item but it is awesome and very well&nbsp;received&nbsp;by our group.&nbsp; I cant wait for your next pack as I play a goblin rogue in a party surrounded by Orcs. One of my fellow goblin players also wondered if you were planning on doing Goblin riders in the next pack as well?
Man, great work! I really like the art style in that it is a little more realistic. &nbsp;I also REALLY like having a color choice for various factions. &nbsp;Speaking of, I really &nbsp;appreciate the sheer number of tokens you've included in the pack. &nbsp;Makes it feel like a great deal! My only constructive criticism would be to turn up the brightness a few notches on all of them. &nbsp;I think they seem a little dark and a lot of the detail that you've included is kinda lost. I will absolutely be picking this up in the future. &nbsp;I've got some orcish adventures coming up soon. &nbsp;Can't wait to see what you do next!
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
I'm very grateful for all the feedback, please keep it coming! Jesse ,&nbsp; I'm very flattered by your post; reworking your campaign to include the orcs is the ultimate compliment! I'll try my best to continue coming out with tokens at least on a monthly basis, I'm already going full steam ahead on this so I can't promise to go any faster, heh. I might start another thread once I finish the next pack so you should be able to find out that way; I want to keep a wide open line of communication with everyone, following the spirit of this site. I'm afraid that I'm not a huge Sci-Fi fan so creating those tokens will prove difficult since I'm only familiar with the Star Trek Universe out of the ones you mentioned. I see a lot of people asking for Sci-Fi tokens, while my preference is fantasy and I was planning to build a large library of those I might make the switch over to Sci-Fi sooner if the demand for it continues. Perhaps alternate the two. What are you most interested in when it comes to Sci-Fi tokens? Characters/Heroes or Villains? Either way, are you more interested in aliens or humans? Monstrous aliens or humanoid aliens? Any feedback to lead me in the right direction would be helpful. I might be able to have some Sci-Fi stuff out by the summer (Sooner if the demand keeps up as it seems to be) Jay , I am really happy that you guys liked them so much and that they compliment your campaign! I am absolutely planning to do Goblin Riders much like I did with the Orcs. &nbsp;I haven't done any yet and I was planning to put them on armored spider mounts, is that something that works for you or should I do wolves like I did with the Orcs? I can use the same wolves, change the armor to match the Goblins' and the fur color to set them apart from the Orc set. Forge , Thank you very much! I am very glad that you like the pack so much. &nbsp;I was a little concerned that the color variations wouldn't be well received so I am very happy to learn you like it. &nbsp;I am aiming to always have around 20 different tokens in every pack I release (I am sure there will be exceptions, but I am planning to make that my standard), with the color variations that makes it at least 40 plus any other variants I may do, I hope others feel the same way about this as you do. I also really &nbsp; appreciate your critique on the brightness. &nbsp;This is something I was concerned with myself since digital art always looks different in almost all screens due to the different calibrations we all use. &nbsp;I decided to use my iPhone and iPad as my "control" if you will, and I agree that they look a little dark. &nbsp;I will definitely make future packs, starting with the next one a little brighter. As a side note; the last few tokens I uploaded on my pack are currently set to "Use with Roll 20 only", that was my mistake when I uploaded them and I'm working with Nolan to fix that ASAP. While on the subject; I honestly cannot speak highly enough of Nolan; he's been unbelievably helpful the entire process.&nbsp; Sorry for the long post, I want to make sure I reply to everyone!
Fernando: Wolves/dogs would be just dandy with my group, Our current Goblin rider rides a Gray Dog/Wolf (I forget) with a Lance but if you added that she may just love you for ever lol.&nbsp; Don't&nbsp;apologize &nbsp;for the long posts, your willingness to respond to posts and being an active part of this community gives you bonus points in my book. Thank you for all your hard work, I will definitely be keeping an eye out for your work in the future.
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Jay , I'll be happy to do both Wolf and Spider mounts (As an arachnophobe, my heart is set on terrifying spider riding goblins!), I was on the fence about doing just that and your feedback helped me make the choice; gray is definitely the way to go with the Wolves too, I made the Orc Wolves brown because I felt it contrasted better with their grayish toned skin but Gray wolves will contrast much better with the Goblins' green skin. I am going to include spear weilding Goblins, although&nbsp;I love the concept of a jousting lance for a wolf riding, fully armored Goblin so I might go and do one of those as well!&nbsp;I can't fully customize it to fit your friend's exact character since I need to create them with a broad audience in mind of course,&nbsp;but I hope a&nbsp;lance weilding Goblin riding on a gray wolf&nbsp;will be enough to satisfy her.
Can't wait for the wolves and spiders!
We understand completely, &nbsp;honestly anything is closer than what shes been using, and with your talent Im sure she will be blown away.
Wow dude. These tokens look AMAZING!!! If you could do a Star Wars pack that would be awesome. I haven't been able to find a Star Wars pack on here. Great job man!
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Thanks again guys! Victor , unfortunately I (Nor any artist on here) will be able to do a "Star Wars" pack since we do not own the rights to that property. &nbsp;Unless Disney somehow strikes a deal with Roll 20 permitting such a thing I doubt you'll see it. &nbsp;It is possible to do tokens inspired by "Space Operas", the category Star Wars generally falls within, but don't expect any Jedis or Siths.
Fernando, I am truly impressed with your packs and have purchased both so far. I was wondering if you have plans to make any character packs? I know there are some good ones out there but keeping in the same type of design you bring I would love to see a Character pack, then of course one of those rare monster packs would be nice. Keep up the great work, you have a loyal fan.
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
James , I am very flattered that you like them so much! I am currently working on my first hero pack; it will be a human male hero pack with about 5 classes to start with and I will follow it with a human female one. I am trying to cover the most popular, core d&amp;d classes with it as we'll as give each class different weapon combinations. If there is a class/weapon combination you would like to see, let me know. I can't promise you I will be able to include it but I will if I can and time permits. This is the most work intensive pack I've done so far and it's going to take me longer than the others. I am dedicating every minute of my free time to it!
The 2 things I am looking for I am sure you will bring to the table. Basically the things I have found in your other two packs. The figures look real and the poses/stances they are fantastic. I found myself look at the orc archer figure and thinking to bad that isn't a human he would look great for our group. My problem now is, I places these out on the board (I use FG2) and the monsters look cool and the players look rather plain. Looking forward to your heroes pack. PS When I place your tokens on the board I am sure the characters will feel out matched simply because the foes look so aggressive.