Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[GroupInitiative] How to set same initiative count for each monster type

Hi all, Is this possible with the GroupInitiative script? Currently, when I select a bunch of monsters and run the group-init command, it generates an initiative count for each monster, regardless of whether 7 of them are the same type (e.g. 7 bandits). I'd like to be able to assign the same initiative count for a monster type, so if I have 7 bandits and 1 bandit captain, the bandits all go on the same count, while the captain has their own count. Is there a way to do this? I have looked at the documentation, but am not able to figure out how to do this.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Generally, you just select one representative of the monster type (say, Bandit 1), when rolling group initiative. Not that if you are in the habit of deleting tokens when monsters die, don't delete Bandit 1. Initiative is tracked by token, not character, so all bandits will disappear from the turn tracker..
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I do not know if there is a way to do that with the script, so sorry in advance on that. 😀 What I generally do to achieve this effect is to add an extra token that represents each monster group in a hidden area of the map (either through lighting or fog of war) and roll initiative for those tokens. This way, they are removed from combat and won’t accidentally be deleted or adjusted. Obviously not as elegant as a script handling it for you, but a pretty simple solution if it turns out this is beyond the scripts abilities (which I am guessing may be the case, due to the way the turn tracker links entries to tokens).
Thank you both for the info. Keith, I don't delete monsters when they die, until after the combat is over, so I guess I'll probably just select one monster per group for the purposes of initiative.

Edited 1560466476
Ravenknight
KS Backer
Make a single copy of the monster on the GM-layer - Bandits, Goblins etc. roll init and never show the hidden tokens to to your players. Scratch that, I forgot that putting a token on the GM-layer hides it from the players when in the tracker. :/

Edited 1560453385
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There's also a setting that would take initiative by character type. You'd still have all the tokens in the turn order, but they'd have the same unit number by type. 
The Aaron said: There's also a setting that would take initiative by character type. You'd still have all the tokens in the turn order, but they'd have the same unit number by type.  Is that setting in the script? I looked through the docs and couldn't find anything that sorted initiative by type. 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ah, it looks like I misremembered.  There are two settings that will give all the tokens the same value, but they aren't a single roll.  It's Least-All-Roll or Mean-All-Roll.  Could probably add an option for Per-Character-Roll though.
The Aaron said: Ah, it looks like I misremembered.  There are two settings that will give all the tokens the same value, but they aren't a single roll.  It's Least-All-Roll or Mean-All-Roll.  Could probably add an option for Per-Character-Roll though. A Per-Character-Roll would definitely be my feature request! :)