Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Great weapon fighting in D&D 5E by Roll20 Sheet

Hi, I'm using the D&D 5E by Roll20 character sheet. We've bought the PHB and use the charactermancer for leveling up. It seems to cover most about all rolls, but one of my players is concerned that Great Weapon fighting is not hooked up in any way? Is this true, and if so is there any way for me to set it up without having to use a custom macro for his weapon attacks?
This is a tricky one and an interesting UI question. For some character abilities, it's easiest for the player to just remember their key abilities when they're situational or idiosyncratic (e.g. let's automate Dwarven Resistance because I always forget!). You could try to use the Global Attack Modifier check box, or perhaps set a note in the weapon description field. Or you could set up a query macro, but any hook will always feel clunky because of how the ability works. There are some abilities that players simply need to "remember to use," so it's sometimes counterproductive to set up a game environment where the players don't need to learn anything about what their character does. For me, I would not automate this ability for the player because it creates UI bloat.

Edited 1561961699
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
We just set up a second weapon attack on the character sheet with the modified values. The player clicked that one when they wanted to make a power attack. Oops, I was thinking about the Great Weapon Master feat. I think Mark B. almost has the right roll. You want to add "ro&lt;2" to the end of any applicable weapon damage rolls if I recall correctly. You use "ro" instead of "r" because you only want it to reroll once. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference#Rerolling_Dice_.28B.2CF.29_rCP" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference#Rerolling_Dice_.28B.2CF.29_rCP</a>

Edited 1561930898
[[1d12r&lt;2]]&nbsp; should work for greataxe, or [[2d6r&lt;2]] for greatsword, etc
But can I modify this in the character sheet for just one player? Or do I need to setup a macro for it? I know how to make the macro, what I want to get around is the hassle of needing a custom button for 1 player for level 1 core feature of the game. :|
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You would need to modify each appropriate weapon attack damage field for that particular character. They probably don't have more than 2-3 weapons that qualify, so it shouldn't be too time consuming.
Ooh I can write the formula straight in the damage column? :)
Yeah, just add ro&lt;2 to the end of the dice roll for each two handed weapon on that character's sheet.&nbsp; (Thanks for the correction, Brian C)
Thanks a lot guys! That fixed it and w/o the need of any ugly additional buttons to confuse my players.