Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

CHAT PING - Feature that ensures players see chat messages addressed to them

As GM, periodically I'll address certain chat messages to certain players.  It would be helpful if I could be confident the player saw the chat message without me having to bring it up audibly, "Steve, did you see the message I just wrote you in chat?" What this feature would be ESPECIALLY critical for is when sending Whispers to certain players since, of course, audibly mentioning the message defeats the purpose of secrecy.  Whispers are already a different color (yellow), which indeed helps.  However, I can tell you players still routinely miss those messages, if they're not expecting them - and commonly the GM needs the player to see a Whisper quickly. This would be the rough equivalent of using @steve, like we do in social media platforms, to ensure the person is notified. Implementation thoughts: ---Perhaps, if that particular message both changed color and continually blinked (but necessitating the ability to deactivate the blinking). ---Using an unique audible sound is not advisable, since other players can also usually hear that sound through audio, defeating a Whisper's secrecy. ---The issue with one-time notification alerts, like a recipient's entire Roll20 screen blinking once, is that the player has to be looking at their screen right then. If others have found methods/workarounds to address this, I would love to hear them! Thank you
In some of the game systems, dice roll macros gives a pop-up for you to add modifiers. Perhaps, if this is added, a pop-up like that could work, in case the chat is scrolling too fast? GM-only usage to avoid annoyance. When I miss messages, it's usually because of that, or I'm not in the chat tab at all to see flashing.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .