Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Improvements to Moving Objects on the Tabletop

Edited 1563198442
Dave
Pro
The ability to have fine control over objects on the desktop is really terrible, as it stands. It makes it a tremendous pain to try to arrange maps carefully and in a detailed way, such as making floor tiles align or making small objects sit just where you want them. I would desperately like two see two features to make this easier: Please, please let us move selected tiles, objects, or tokens a single pixel at a time when the grid is turned off. This would work exactly the same way as moving a token one square to another, only when the grid was turned off we could move one pixel at a time. Allow holding down Shift (or similar) to lock moving a tile/token/etc. along a single axis. This way, we could easily move something, say, side to side without having it wobble up or down when we want to keep things in a straight line. As an aside, it would also be really nice if "Ctrl+Z" wouldn't randomly stop working for no apparent reason, but--I'd be overjoyed to have these features added!
Note: I figured out how to simulate this, by setting the grid to one pixel wide, but it would still be a really wonderful thing to have these features available by default. :)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Alt key is your friend, it allows for fine placement without snapping to the grid. For axis movement select the token and use the arrow keys, combine that with Alt for fine tuned axis movement :)
Ziechael said: The Alt key is your friend, it allows for fine placement without snapping to the grid. For axis movement select the token and use the arrow keys, combine that with Alt for fine tuned axis movement :) Okay, that's a thing of beauty! Thank you! I'll amend my post accordingly. :)
One nifty discovery I've found is the arrow keys move your token one square at a time. This, combined with your 1x1px grid idea probably makes for a neat experience when moving tokens that way, esp if you're using adv fog and dyn light.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You don't need the 1px grid if you use the alt key... that, combined with the arrows moves along the axis 1px at a time as I previously mentioned :) Loremir said: One nifty discovery I've found is the arrow keys move your token one square at a time. This, combined with your 1x1px grid idea probably makes for a neat experience when moving tokens that way, esp if you're using adv fog and dyn light.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .