Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Tokens having light blocking option

A door should be able to block light, and as a token be rotated. If the tokens could have light blocking features, you could open the door (rotate it) and the field of vision would change with the angle of the door.
+1 on this. I'd love it.
+1 Basically any token should have the ability to block light. Eg. a big golem definitely blocks light.
+1 I would like to add on the ability to make lines on another layer turn into the Dynamic Lighting layer. Such as having a line in GM layer (like a trap door or a sudden risen wall) and just go in and switch the line's layer, rather than having to switch to the dynamic layer and THEN draw the line. 
Obviously you can just put a small line where the door is, but this would definitely be useful (swapping between layers while trying to describe what's going taxes my touch pad foo!). A movable DL blocker would be really useful too. Can I add another DL suggestion too (couldn't find anyone asking about it before)? Line of sight lighting. e.g. if I have a hall lit with torches, the players don't see the all the hall when they're in the corridor outside it, and don't even see it if there's a bend in the corridor. I can sort of do this with fog of war, but it would be nice not to have to remove/apply/remove as the players move round my map.
I wouldn't even mind being able to rotate light blocking drawings. you can send them to the token layer, but can't send them back...or CAN you with copy/paste after you rotate them?
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can via copy/paste.   Edit: I just now realized that I have lost the ability to rotate light blocking drawings. I used to be able to but it appears a recent update removed that ability. I will file a bug report.  - Gauss
I just went and tested it after I posted that, but thanks for the quick response!
I second the original suggestion and the Line of Sight suggestion. This would be good both for line of sight spellcasting and ranged attacks OR as tool so that you don't need to Fog of War and Re Fog of War to block sight. I would suggest that it works as the ability to select the movable token and when that token is selected you can on ly see as far as the selected token, all other lighted areas are dimmed to a predetermined by you Opacity like Fog of War, Or perhaps even have it as a setting of Fog of War with Dynamic Light to have LoS Fog for controlled tokens. I know that you have to give control of a token to players to let them see that lightsource and I suggest to have an option of just have control -> player view lightsource (maybe a checkbox on a token when Dynamic Lighting is in effect that has nothing to do with assigning to a player and just means the player can see the lightsource if he's in LoS with a token actually under player control)
light blocking check box with a % of the item as reference to how much it blocks?
+1
What about using the door token's light emitting box? Just keep DL line on the door to block light, then when it's open, turn on the light.
A semi-workable work-around, aye, could work. Would require some fiddling in the middle of the game though :)
Does the light get projected to both directions? I always thought that the light is projected from the middle of the token and it can't exist on both sides of the DL-line.
+1
The door projecting light wont help in my case(s). Messing with the DL layer would be fine if you could rotate object drawn in that layer.
+1 on light blocking tokens
This is a Great idea!  we could then build puzzles around the Dynamic light tool.  Pushing blocks around the room to make the light bend in the right direction to open a door. chest etc.   This would be a very good and fun tool. +1 for sure
+1 for the tokens being able to block
+1 to tokens blocking light and the line of sight lighting.
+1 :)
I like the idea don't get me wrong but this sounds like it would really bog down people's computers.
Additional request along similar lines: Low-Light Vision and Darkvision abilities, usually racially based. Provide tokens with the ability to: ignore light-fading effects --> Low-Light Vision ignore lighting effect altogether and just use fog-of-war effect --> Darkvision +1 for option of icon light blocking +1 On LoS, Lighting fix. It should be simple enough, just an intersection check between lighting and fog-of-war data sets. Figure 1. NO lighting turned on - shows Line of Sight effect. Alek, the Elf, has low-light vision ability and so can see clearly when hardly any light is about. The two light sources on the altar do not have their lighting effect turned on, hence, line of sight (and low-light vision) is accurately depicted by using just the fog-of-war turned on. Figure 2. Lighting turned on - Bran (a halfling) with his candle The Line of Sight is correct for the top left of the image, but not bottom left. This is because the two light sources next to the statue have their lighting effect turned on, yet the area to the left of the token name is visible to Bran's player. This should not be the case as Bran the PC cannot see around the corner. Figure 3. Lighting turned on - Without any lights nearby, Bran Littlefoot will certainly be worried about what is lurking in those shadows so near to him, beyond the reach of his candlelight. Line of Sight is accurate as there are no sources of light other than Bran's dim candle. Bran (a halfling) with his candle that has its light fading as it gets more distant - lovely! 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Just a note: D&D/PF type Darkvision and Low-light vision can be accomplished using existing tools. For Darkvision: Set up a token for a player.  Set the token's light radius to the radius of the Darkvision. Do not checkmark the 'all players can see' box. Result: that player (alone) can see out to the distance of the darkvision.  Low-light vision is less simple but doable: Set up a light emitting token normally. Use the normal light radius and checkmark the 'all players can see' box.  Add a second token (such as a torch) to the map. Set it to be controlled by the player with low-light vision. Do not checkmark the 'all players can see' box. Set the light radius to double the light radius of the light source (assuming D&D/PF style low-light vision).  Group the token with the normal light radius token.  Result: the player with low light vision will be able to see the extended light radius. Drawback: the whole grouped token thing. :) - Gauss
I have already implemented the first suggestion and it is how I have been playing, but the solution does not allow such a player to carry a torch AND have low-light/darkvision. The second suggestion is useful, but awkward. I have put a post up regarding nested tokens which would make playing this second suggestion a breeze. I got a single response, however, it was not useful.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Could you describe the problem you have regarding carrying a torch AND having low-light/darkvision? My experience is that it works decently well using grouped tokens.  - Gauss
Have a look at the images above and below - particularly Figure 2 below. I had to re-read your question Gauss, From what I can tell, you are expecting that if a character is carrying a light source, then he/she has a separate token, a torch say, to indicate the fact. Thus the torch token&nbsp;emitting&nbsp;the light is the token that has "Emits Light"&nbsp;turned on with a specific radius and visible to all players. Then, a character who has Lowlight Vision or Darkvision has their token&nbsp;"Emits Light"&nbsp;turned on with a specific radius and NOT visible to all players. I generally use the practice that the PC token emits light if they are carrying a torch. I don't use grouped tokens because of the numerous non-standard practices involved. See&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/150556/nested-tokens/#post-163908" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/150556/nested-tokens/#post-163908</a> &nbsp;for more information. A character who has Lowlight Vision or Darkvision needs to have separate options other than "Emits Light" for their token. These concepts are not the same and using the program as suggested, as a method to get it to "work", breaks the intuitive use of the program. See my post for other concerns regarding Unifying the UI in the Suggestions &amp; Ideas forum section.&nbsp; Vision Issues As I Currently See Them Figure 1: Line of Sight Issue - Kaldaros has Lowlight Vision being a Dwarf, his token has&nbsp;"Emits Light"&nbsp;turned on and NOT visible to all players . Bran Littlefoot's torch illuminates the room on the other side of the wall of Kaldaros. Kaldaros is not supposed to be able to see the goblin present in the dim light. Figure 2: Lowlight Vision vs Darkvision Issue - the same Kaldaros as above is in an area where there is no sources of light whatsoever. Even though he has Lowlight Vision, Kaldaros should not be able to see the goblin token in total darkness.&nbsp; Figure 3: Revised Edit Token Window - Additional Vision Properties added under the "Emits Light" section - a Vision Radius value box may be needed.&nbsp; Darkvision would ignore lighting conditions all together - there would be no Fog of War (other than what the GM wants to be kept unseen), just Line-of-Sight obstructions.&nbsp; Lowlight Vision&nbsp;would ignore lighting conditions only if a nearby token&nbsp;is emitting light - again, there would be no Fog of War, just Line-of-Sight obstructions. &nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
Robert, just to be clear, I do not expect the character to carry a torch to indicate they have a light source.&nbsp; How I use lighting:&nbsp; Normal: Token has a light radius with 'All players see light' checked Darkvision: Token has a light radius with 'All players see light' not checked Low-Light Vision: Token1 has a light radius with 'All players see light' checked. Create a second token (Token2), and give it double the first token's light radius, it does not have 'All players see light' checked. Control is set to those players with low-light vision. It is grouped with the first token.&nbsp; Anyhow, it is not my place to comment on your suggestions, just to show users how to use the tools that we currently have. I have done so. :) - Gauss