Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Initiative Rolls for Monsters getting sent to Turn order, into another monster's Initiative Roll!

Ok, today during my D&D 5E game, (I also run a 1E/2E AD&D game), when it came time for combat with goblins, in the first goblin encounter in "Lost Mines of Phandelver", the Initiative Roll for each goblin went into a single goblin in the turn order! This happened, even though I created Individual sheets and tokens for every monster / npc, tagging them with numbers and sometimes a location tag.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You only need one sheet. Multiple tokens can be set to run off the same sheet without conflicts. Here is a page or a video that gives a good method for setting this up.
That's odd because when I did that there were conflicts.  So that was part of the reason i give every monster / npc their own sheets and tokens. Another reason, is because there are variants, like different Hit Points, higher or lower levels, different AC, carrying different things, they look different, etc. I looked at the page and video, I guess I never mooked a token as it can cause confusion, for the players and I, heh, never even heard the term used before for them, this was the only thing new to me in the set up on the page and video. Would love it see that one can set default values, like HP, AC & Movement for the bubbles as it gets tedious, assigning them. So why was it that even though each monster was separate, their separate initiative roll was sent to the same one in the turn order?! It doesn't happen for the monsters / npc's in my 1E/2E AD&D game!
It might help to know how you rolled Initiative. Did you write a custom Initiative macro, or did you use a macro from the character sheet? If from a sheet, which sheet do you use (there are at least 3 major D&D 5e sheets - D&D 5e by Roll20, the D&D 5e Shaped sheet, and the D&D 5e Community sheet)? When you hover over the entry in the turn order, which token(s) highlight? All of them, or just the latest one to roll?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Did each monster sheet have a unique name. Duplicate names in the journal tab can sometimes confuse things. Also, check the tokens as placed on the map  to make sure they are set how intended. It's possible you set them up properly, but did not save as default as the very last step for each one. For example, setting up one character, duplicating the character and then renaming it will not automatically associate that character's token to that sheet. The default token is still linked to the original sheet. However, multiple sheets for groups of otherwise identical minor monsters is likely to cause lag in the long run. Mooks are much more efficient.
Ok, I will do a mock combat later, after the Steelers / Colts game, to see what happens again. When I duplicate a sheet, I deleted out the linked token first, then duplicate it, rename the original Goblin #01 -A1 (the A1 means Area 1), then the duplicates are named Goblin #02 -A1, and so on. then i pull the image from the sheets onto the map, then link it as a token to the sheet.  The players have always asked me to number the minions so that it's easier to see whom is whom. And like I said in the past doing the Mook set-up way, had caused the Turn Order to go haywire as well. On another note, one player's rolls was not showing when he rolled from Roll20's 5E OGL sheet we are using and had to use the custom macros for everyone to see the rolls.
Oh, Rabulias, I use the Roll20 5E OGL sheet initiative roll, or the players have an option to quickly, use a custom macro from the macro bar. I will later just use the sheet for the init rolls in a mock combat, then the custom one in another and see what's going on.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That business with the missing rolls is a known ongoing bug, unfortunately. There's a long thread dedicated to it. As for the business of Turn Order entries going awry, I can only suspect that something got overlooked in the setup process for that fight. I use the mook method in most encounters and don't see the issues you are describing . Auto numbering of tokens can be handled with the TokenNameNuber script in the One Click, but if you're not using mooks, it's probably not of much value.
Ok, I put in a mock battle and today the 1st 4 goblins went into the turn order individually, but then Goblin #5 went into Goblin #4's init! The first time during the game session yesterday, all 5 went into the 1st's one's init space. Today, I just deleted #5's token, pulled a new image from #5's sheet and set it as the new token, and then it went into it's own Init slot. I might try using the mook/minion set-up again, but I like to see the area encounter folders containing all the area/room/scene encounter descriptions, DM info, handout images and then all of the monsters / npc's sheets in that encounter so that I know what's what and where they are supposed to be.
Oh, also there is this weird thing with both the 5E OGL & 2E simple sheet both changing the Armor Class to Zero for Monsters/NPCs only, after you clear out the Turn Order.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's a new one on me.