Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

My NPC died by compendium drop. :(

Edited 1573528075
Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I had just finished building a custom NPC stat block for a pretty complex monster. I was doing some last minute proof reads and wanted to check and compare another monster stat block. Without thinking I just pulled the monster out and it overwrote  the stat block for my custom monster.  Is there a way to undo this? And if not, WHY ?!?  Also why isn't there a confirm dialog for drop overwrites like this? A simple yes/ no popup displaying the name of the to be dropped item, and the name of the to be overwrote item would have prevented this... EDIT: Just to be clear, Ive since re-entered/rebuilt the NPC. But information on if there is a way to recover from such a mistake would be useful for the future.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If youd already created the character a day or so back, as a pro user you can rollback the campain to an earlier backup. But for overwrites like that on a brand new character, there's no rolling back. I think the way to avoid this, is to change the name of a character when you start working on them, so it doesnt match anything in the compendium. And youre definitely right, there should be a confirmation dialog.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I second everything GiGs said. And generally speaking(with software and computers in general), it's always a good idea to give things unique names if generic files/options with the same name exists, you never know if you risk overwriting the default or if your new thing gets erased by the existing thing.
Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thank you for the support and posts, but Im not sure unique names are the issue here, or how they would help? The name of the NPC I was editing was not even remotely similar to the name of the monster I accidentally overwrote it with. I was editing the NPC(named "Mercury Slasher") in the game, and accidentally pulled a "Mage" onto the open NPC popup, when I was trying to just pull out a second popup window to view. In fact Ive had several issues with things Ive pullout out from the compendium going into the wrong stat block window. If I got two stat blocks open any weapon I pull from the compendium seems to never go to the top stat block.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've had this happen to me, too. If you pull an NPC compendium entry onto a PC, you can usually get most of it back by reverting to PC (most of the attributes are named differently), but that's only an emergency stopgap. The only safe thing is to recreate the sheet. :(
When adapting npcs/monsters for a game i always make a duplicate first. This gives the duplicate a new ID and prevents it from being overwritten by drops from the compendium or when transmogrifing characters from another game.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Although these are good pieces of advice for general practice, my guess is that Erik, you ran into a problem slightly different than these solutions are suggesting? I have had this happen to me. I have a character sheet open for a druid. I drag a bear from the compendium to the table top (not onto the druid character sheet). The names are different, and I have not dragged the compendium entry onto the sheet. Somehow, the bear is applied to the open character. It happens very rarely, and even less so lately. I had assumed it was because a bug had been fixed, but it may simply be that I got into the habit of making sure character sheets are closed during a compendium drop. So that's my advice. Get into the habit of making sure sheets (especially character sheets) are closed during a compendium drop. Since you are a Pro, I would also advice keeping a Library Campaign , and Transmogrifying PC sheets at the minimum after every session or so, so that in the event of data loss, you can recover a recent copy. I know you can roll back a game, but there's no sense in rolling everything  back, and I have been bitten by bad rollbacks that destroyed a month or more of work.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That sounds like great advice, as usual Keith. Yes, I misunderstood the situation earlier.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The worst incident was when I accidentally did it to the character of one of my players, mid-game. I felt awful.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
yikes, that must have been awful.