Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Timer

Score + 152

Edited 1456268787
After reading this thread -&gt; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/144829/hourglass" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/144829/hourglass</a>.. and thinking this up for some time on my own, I'd really appreciate a timer feature. It could even be as simple as a digital counter than the DM sets and then clicks "Go". I understand that it could be done through the API but some of the other subscription-less games I play with would benefit greatly from this feature. It could be used as a variety of things: -Tracking overall gametime, should the game have a strict time limit of an hour per session. -Turn timer, for tense situations when the DM wants to push the players into making more 'knee-jerk' reactions. -Storyline timer, such as a bomb counting down and whatnot.
^ this
+1
+1
+1:&nbsp; This would be really useful in any number of games or scenarios ranging from simply keeping track of time to recreating the "You have until this hourglass runs out to escape the room" trick any number of GMs may have seen over the years. With decks of cards and dice already supported this is really the last major thing I can think of from numerous boardgames that isn't represented.
I have a great need for a timer. A game I play requires players to choose their next moves in X number of seconds. A timer would be better than just guessing, or fiddling with an out-of-app timer that the players can't see.
+1
There is a very simple reason that ROLL20 has to &nbsp;include this feature if it is going to claim you can play board-games on this app.&nbsp; Tournament Chess .&nbsp; You know, that one where each player has a clock that they have to slap the pause button on as soon as they finalize their move, and if you run out of time, you lose?&nbsp; YEA, if you can't do that, you can't really claim to represent board games.&nbsp; +1
+1 to this! I would love this to get some of my players moving a bit faster in combat.
+1 from me as well... For SO many reasons! &nbsp;Please add this feature!
I'd like a timer running on the Initiative tracker. Basically, increment a clock on the top item. There a some players who just don't see how much time they chew up compared to other players. It is usually this same player that complains when we don't get very far during a session, and they don't believe they are the time sink.
+1
+1
Just had a co-gm ask me for a timer function for the game I created.&nbsp; I found an API to do it, but it seems like a function good enough to include in basic level games without a Pro.
+1
+1
+1
+1
Time Crunch?&nbsp; OH yes please.&nbsp; I've seent he turn counter, but I think a actually timer feature would be nice that ALL Players could see.
+1
There are several good API Timers that pro subscribers can use. Here's a discussion of one from the other day.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7619649/need-some-help-on-simple-stopwatch-script/?pageforid=7621842#post-7621842" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7619649/need-some-help-on-simple-stopwatch-script/?pageforid=7621842#post-7621842</a>
+1
+1
+1
On the turn tracker would be awesome and much needed for our games.
Having players see how much time they are taking between turns and allowing DMs to put time limits on each turn or skip will help players see their slow play and possibly self correct taking too much time.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Given the uses of a Timer function for multiple games (including Chess but also to speed up D&amp;D and Pathfinder games), this is something that would be really useful to add to Roll20. Given there's already some scripts out there folks have crafted (though unfortunately I've not seen anything that creates a specific visible timer at the top of the page for everyone to see), has any work been done for this sort of addition? Even a basic timer that isn't linked to a specific character or to the Turn Order would still be useful, and it could be expanded upon from there.&nbsp;
+1
+1
+1 I would love a roll20 timer, I can think of so many uses for it. It would definitely help to build tension in tight situations. And it would be really helpful to track spell durations :)
+1 Super obvious once said.&nbsp; Good idea.
+1
+1 (would really love to see this!)
BRIAN B.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
+1
This would be a great tool! My RPG group is really heavy on role-playing, and I've had several games where I wanted to use an in-game timer but couldn't. As far as I'm aware the API is not powerful enough for my needs. Ideally, I would like to have a timer with the following features: Non-intrusive, but visible at all times Persists when switching pages Can be paused/resumed Can be changed mid-way through (for example when the PCs do an action that take 1 in-game hour) Can be shown to select players only (for example when a PC has a secret agenda) Clock mode, in cases where the deadline matches a known in-game event (for example a planned group ritual by NPCs, or the rising of the sun)
You can currently do this in-game by simply finding a GIF with the timer you want, putting it into the game as a token and then using the pause/play animation option in the right-click menu. You can then give control of that token to players if you want them to have the ability to stop/start. Save that token to a Character Sheet and you have a reusable timer. You can find several packs in the Marketplace that have different styles of timers, or you can just google for some free ones. I don't expect this feature to be actively worked on by Roll20 unless it ties into something else they are working on, especially as we have both a non-API and API way to do this, even if it doesn't exactly fit everyone's requirements (and it's basically always impossible to do everything everyone wants)
+1
+1
Gold
Forum Champion
Let's get a Timer please I have been using "Online Stopwatch" timer website and it would be better to have this Countdown able to appear within roll20 at the same time for all players to see +1
+1 maybe one day ;p
+1
+1