Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Improve the spells prepared on 5e OGL sheet

Score + 170

Edited 1608310776
tl;dr - give us additional colors for the dot on the spell sheet   On my "spells prepared" caster characters, I struggle with tracking how many spells I have prepared.  If I use the red dot to indicate a spell is prepared, at least I know what's prepared, but this presents a few problems.   1. I have to count up the red dots, which is tedious and repetitive and involves a lot of scrolling for high level casters. Computers are way better at that than I am.    2. Domain spells are a problem for clerics, druids, paladins. If I check the red dot for them, I have to disregard or skip them when totaling up my prepared spells. If I don't check the red dot, it's not clear that they're prepared.     On the 5e OGL sheet, spells tab, how about:   A tally of the number of spells with red dots to indicate the number of spells prepared. Put this up at the top of the sheet somewhere.      Another color dot (lets say green) to indicate spells that are prepared but don't count as prepared. (e.g. Life cleric's domain spells: bless, cure wounds, spiritual weapon, etc.)  Click the dot to cycle it from white to red to green.     Edit to incorporate this suggestion :   We could use additional colors to indicate spells from different classes, innate racial abilities, feats, etc.   Give us all the colors already present as token status indicators.
+1. I would support this, if I had any votes left....
Anthony said: +1. I would support this, if I had any votes left.... I will vote for it in your stead...
Mino
Marketplace Creator
It's a small tweak, but one that could really help keep the game running smoothly.
Yes, I deliberately kept this improvement suggestion small, which should make it quicker and easier to implement.   Hmm, this could be useful for multiclass characters too.   e.g. a paladin-sorcerer has a mix of spells prepared and spells known. This would help differentiate them with different colored dots.  
+1
This needs more attention.  Come on, spellcasters!
+1
+1
+1
As someone making a ranger paladin atm, I am having this exact issue. And having multiple colours would completely solve this problem. +1
+1  I so need this, have my prepared spells, spells from a ritual book for warlock, plus all my 1/day spells. would be so nice for a better organization system for them, but this small thing would help so much
+1 I like this too. 
+1
+1
Also, I run into problems with things like a wand of lightning bolts .  I want the spell in my sheet so I can use the wand easily, but it again messes up my spells known/prepared.   And it messes up the Charactermancer when I level up. It thinks that's a spell I have known/prepared, but it isn't.   Come on spellcasters, give this one some more votes.  
I think that when spells are checked as 'prepared' they should show up in the 'attacks and spells' box on the core page even if they are not normally considered an attack such as Detect Magic. When they are un-checked as prepared they should be removed from the attacks list.
Yes, that would be a great improvement.   The sheet has a checkbox that's perfect for indicating which spells are prepared, but then it doesn't do anything with that.   A high level cleric, druid, wizard (etc) has a ton of spells that aren't prepared but are clogging up their 'attacks and spells' box.
+1
And while you're at it, give me a counter for how many spells I have prepared.  
+1
+1
+1
We could use additional colors to indicate spells from different classes, innate racial abilities, feats, etc.   Give us all the colors already present as token status indicators!
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Just a quick tip in the interim for tracking domain spells, etc. You can write into the "innate" parameter which provides small grey text beside the name like so:
That's a fine idea, Jordan.  I like it.   The Charactermancer unfortunately deletes the text in that field when I level up.  Does that happen to you too?
Kai
Sheet Author
+1 - Wanting this for a long time:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7336669/5e-ogl-add-counter-for-number-of-spells-prepared" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7336669/5e-ogl-add-counter-for-number-of-spells-prepared</a>
Kai
Sheet Author
PunyPaladin said: That's a fine idea, Jordan.&nbsp; I like it.&nbsp;&nbsp; The Charactermancer unfortunately deletes the text in that field when I level up.&nbsp; Does that happen to you too? Try if changing the name of the spell slightly will prevent this.
Kai said: PunyPaladin said: That's a fine idea, Jordan.&nbsp; I like it.&nbsp;&nbsp; The Charactermancer unfortunately deletes the text in that field when I level up.&nbsp; Does that happen to you too? Try if changing the name of the spell slightly will prevent this. I've tried that, but it has problems too. It duplicates the spells. For example, I added a " (b) " to the names of spells with a casting time of 1 bonus action, e.g. for misty step on my ancients paladin, but then the Charactermancer duplicates those spells when I level up.&nbsp; Similarly, it duplicated the "Lay on Hands" and "Divine Sense" class features because I had renamed them to "Lay on Paws" and "Divine Scents" because it's a Tabaxi paladin.&nbsp;&nbsp;
+1 i could really do with this
+1
Hey folks, I just wanted to update here and let you know that this is now a topic of conversation that we're having internally. This probably seems like a simple change that would make (at time of writing) 59 folks a little happier with the service, and so should be an easy win, so I wanted to explain why there will be a researching phase for this suggestion. I completely agree with your desire to see improved functionality here, this is a pain point that I have with my own games, and something that we don't currently support particularly well. However, I don't think it is as simple as offering additional colors. One of the things that we should be striving for, as an organization, is to make our user experiences as accessible as possible to as many people. Using multiple colors to communicate different states potentially leaves anyone with color vision deficiency out in the cold, and I think we should do better than that. So, I want to be sure that we've researched a solution that reaches as many people as possible. To do that, we'll need your help. I can't promise that we can do everything, but right now it seems like the sorts of things that people want from this functionality are: A tally of prepared spells (would this be best as a per spell level total, a complete total, or both?) A way of indicating domain spells (or other non-tallied spells) which would be excluded from the total and be visually distinct from other spells A way of indicating spells from different classes when multiclassing A way of indicating spells with other origins (i.e. feats, class abilities, items etc.) A way of indicating spells that should be ignored by the charactermancer when leveling up. Does this seem like a fair summation of this thread? Are there other cases that I've missed? Many thanks for your patience to this point. I will watch this thread for additional comments!
&gt;&nbsp; A tally of prepared spells (would this be best as a per spell level total, a complete total, or both?) For "spells prepared" casters (artificer, cleric, druid, paladin, wizard) it's the total that matters. &nbsp; I don't see a particular need for a total per spell level. I can get that information by glancing at the distribution of the red dots.&nbsp;&nbsp; &gt; A way of indicating spells that should be ignored by the charactermancer when leveling up. I don't understand why or what the charactermancer does that sometimes it messes up spells that I've customized.&nbsp;&nbsp; I've started changing the name of the spell to indicate where it comes from. (e.g. Fireball (wand)) and I fix the formatting of the spell description, and add bold to key parts of that text, and lately that survives the charactermancer.&nbsp; Pro tip: DMs love it when you add bold &nbsp;tags to the type of saving throw a spell calls for. And text in the "innate" field didn't get overwritten last time I leveled up my cleric.&nbsp;&nbsp;
So glad to see that this is finally being looked at A tally of prepared spells (would this be best as a per spell level total, a complete total, or both?) &nbsp; At least the total in my opinion, but i can see both being easier for some people A way of indicating spells that should be ignored by the charactermancer when leveling up &nbsp; Our group doesn't really use the charactermancer so i can't comment on this section but i do agree with the others aswell. Really looking forward to where this end up and hopefully implemented.
For me, I'm playing a cleric and I would love an option to differentiate between spells I just always have prepared as part of my domain and ones I get to chose each day. Having the total of the prepared spells I could have on my sheet somewhere (and that also levels up with me) would also help me keep track of that. Right now, I just have all of this as notes in my character bio so I don't forget what's what.
Multiclassing Bard and Paladin here. I need to keep track of my Paladin prepared spells compared to the always available bard spells.&nbsp;

Edited 1631804749
This is great!&nbsp; +1&nbsp; Can you also take a look at Ritual Spells?&nbsp; I know that we have the Ritual Tag, but my Spellcasters also check the Red Button next to them as well to indicate they are available to cast.&nbsp; Perhaps these could be lumped in with Domain spells and excluded from the count of "Prepared" spells. Nic B. said: Hey folks, I just wanted to update here and let you know that this is now a topic of conversation that we're having internally. This probably seems like a simple change that would make (at time of writing) 59 folks a little happier with the service, and so should be an easy win, so I wanted to explain why there will be a researching phase for this suggestion. I completely agree with your desire to see improved functionality here, this is a pain point that I have with my own games, and something that we don't currently support particularly well. However, I don't think it is as simple as offering additional colors. One of the things that we should be striving for, as an organization, is to make our user experiences as accessible as possible to as many people. Using multiple colors to communicate different states potentially leaves anyone with color vision deficiency out in the cold, and I think we should do better than that. So, I want to be sure that we've researched a solution that reaches as many people as possible. To do that, we'll need your help. I can't promise that we can do everything, but right now it seems like the sorts of things that people want from this functionality are: A tally of prepared spells (would this be best as a per spell level total, a complete total, or both?) A way of indicating domain spells (or other non-tallied spells) which would be excluded from the total and be visually distinct from other spells A way of indicating spells from different classes when multiclassing A way of indicating spells with other origins (i.e. feats, class abilities, items etc.) A way of indicating spells that should be ignored by the charactermancer when leveling up. Does this seem like a fair summation of this thread? Are there other cases that I've missed? Many thanks for your patience to this point. I will watch this thread for additional comments!
Colors are fine, just make sure they are of a different brightness value. A dark blue still looks different than a bright red, even if the person is completely colorblind, as they are of a different brightness value.&nbsp;
Nic B. said: Hey folks, I just wanted to update here and let you know that this is now a topic of conversation that we're having internally. This probably seems like a simple change that would make (at time of writing) 59 folks a little happier with the service, and so should be an easy win, so I wanted to explain why there will be a researching phase for this suggestion. I completely agree with your desire to see improved functionality here, this is a pain point that I have with my own games, and something that we don't currently support particularly well. However, I don't think it is as simple as offering additional colors. One of the things that we should be striving for, as an organization, is to make our user experiences as accessible as possible to as many people. Using multiple colors to communicate different states potentially leaves anyone with color vision deficiency out in the cold, and I think we should do better than that. So, I want to be sure that we've researched a solution that reaches as many people as possible. To do that, we'll need your help. I can't promise that we can do everything, but right now it seems like the sorts of things that people want from this functionality are: A tally of prepared spells (would this be best as a per spell level total, a complete total, or both?) A way of indicating domain spells (or other non-tallied spells) which would be excluded from the total and be visually distinct from other spells A way of indicating spells from different classes when multiclassing A way of indicating spells with other origins (i.e. feats, class abilities, items etc.) A way of indicating spells that should be ignored by the charactermancer when leveling up. Does this seem like a fair summation of this thread? Are there other cases that I've missed? Many thanks for your patience to this point. I will watch this thread for additional comments! +1 I think a colored symbol (e.g. green @-sign used for domain spells, etc.)&nbsp; would catch color vision deficiency? as an additional case, I would say that getting prepared spells in the Core page of OGL sheet as attack would speed up round based situations? spells are checked as 'prepared' they should show up in the 'attacks and spells' box on the core page even if they are not normally considered an attack such as Detect Magic. When they are un-checked as prepared they should be removed from the attacks list. Thanks!
This - different colours AND different brightness should be fine. Also, the relatively very very few people with complete achromatopsia won't be able to play here as long as there is no "dark roll20" option, as they are very light sensitive.&nbsp; Others will be able to differentiate between different colours, so if you allow for an entire palette of colours, then the DM or players can choose colours which are well to distinguish for them.&nbsp; Teller said: Colors are fine, just make sure they are of a different brightness value. A dark blue still looks different than a bright red, even if the person is completely colorblind, as they are of a different brightness value.&nbsp;
If you can't do colors, another option is shapes.&nbsp; A dash for unprepared.&nbsp; A circle for prepared.&nbsp; A star for always prepared.&nbsp; And have assorted shapes and icons that people can select, similar to the ones on the tokens for multiclassing and such.
+1
+1
+1 And while Nic B's list is fine, and I already use the "innate" trick too, my needs basically boil down to: 1. Identify the prepared spells and provide a total count (and don't enforce a limit, I might have a homebrew feat allowing more, for example) 2. Identify the origin of special spells AND cantrips (domain, feat, racial, etc) - color+shape would work fine for me (eg a red triangle versus a blue square), but honestly a text field label not modified by charactermancer would be better because we'd likely find other ways to use it 3. Identify the class of spells (wizard, warlock, cleric, etc) 4. And +1 to the idea of marking Ritual spells more prominently, it's hard to tell the ritual and concentration tags apart at a quick glance. And while I didn't see anyone else mention it, spells like Misty Step from Fey Touched that can be cast without a spell slot need a way to track their use.&nbsp; I use Resource counters, but it would be cool if those could auto-create from a checkbox.
Nice summary, Ken.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'd like to add that the origin could be a magic item (wand, potion, scroll, etc) and that the class may not be applicable
When I multiclass, I create a "fake" spell in all CAPS labeled PALADIN, or SORCERER.&nbsp; Then I organize all my spells under the appropriate class.&nbsp; I still have to use the 'innate' line for racial/feat/other spell additions, so it doesn't solve everything.&nbsp; Additional colors would be EXCELLETN! +1
+1 As someone who nearly always plays a spellcaster, I'd love this. I only have one vote so I'll have to decide later which thing I'll vote on, but this is high on my list. Personally, I don't like having all those spells in the attack section on the first page because it gets clogged up. I'll have to go experiment with this, but when I tried to delete the ones without an attack, something else weird happened but I don't remember what. I was not actually happy when some stuff started getting added to the first page. I use all my spells from the spell page with few exceptions. (Like having some type of secondary or follow-up damage in the attacks, maybe.) I also use the "innate" spot to write stuff in.&nbsp; First, I put things like domain and circle spells up at the top of the given level and use the "innate" spot to write "circle" or "life" or whatever so I know for sure. I use that innate space for all sorts of things, like even where I copied a spell from like a scroll or another spellbook. I decided to mark everything just in case I had a reason to want to know some day. I too want spells in there that I have on scrolls or wands or potions, but yes it messes up the charactermancer. BUT, the charactermancer is already messed up for classes that have access to all their spells. This has never worked. (But that's for another suggestion if it doesn't already exist.) So if you're playing a druid or something, it's going to require a certain amount of manual work anyway. No, I've never seen the charactermancer delete text I've added to something. Maybe that's been fixed since. ?
Nic B. said: To do that, we'll need your help. I can't promise that we can do everything, but right now it seems like the sorts of things that people want from this functionality are: A tally of prepared spells (would this be best as a per spell level total, a complete total, or both?) A way of indicating domain spells (or other non-tallied spells) which would be excluded from the total and be visually distinct from other spells A way of indicating spells from different classes when multiclassing A way of indicating spells with other origins (i.e. feats, class abilities, items etc.) A way of indicating spells that should be ignored by the charactermancer when leveling up. Does this seem like a fair summation of this thread? Are there other cases that I've missed? Many thanks for your patience to this point. I will watch this thread for additional comments! It is definitely nice someone's looking into this. I don't have an answer or preference on some of this but... I'd prefer the tally be the total total. I don't care about per level totals though someone else might. For color blind people, many sites uses shapes. Having various choices to pick from would probably help so they can pick what works for them. I'm not color blind, but I'd also love to be able to pick the colors that work for me. I wouldn't want a shape/color already assigned to things if possible, especially since we could all take advantage of this in different ways. (Though perhaps leaving prepared spells as red makes it easier to tally them? And we're used to it, but still... picking colors is a nice idea. I want purple prepared spells. :-)) I don't mind the idea of having icons for wands, scrolls, etc as the origin of a spell, but would still like to mark things in various ways for other origins or things I might want to know. The more customizable this is, the better, though that might make things difficult. (However, I can still use that innate space to write stuff.) As to spells to be ignored by the charactermancer, maybe you could just fix the charactermancer. Classes that have access to all their spells don't work. It wants to limit me to how many I can prepare instead of making them all available. It can still tell people how many they're allowed to have (though I think people ought to look at their stuff and learn that for themselves) and how many they already have, but just don't restrict them to that number. Someone else mentioned not having that restriction because there's things that allow people to have more spells prepared. (I have a magic spellbook that allows me extra ones.) I have a way to cheat this, but it kind of poops out around 6th level and from then on I have to add the extras in manually.
Different color options and one specific color being tracked for convenience. I'll throw in my vote once I get one back ^.^ +1
I already voted for this general concept, but I wanted to second a suggestion Vince M made on the 5E Sheet thead: Tasha's optional rule on Cantrip Formulas allows Wizards to swap cantrips on a long rest, so those are effectively "preparable" spells for a wizard now (if your DM allows).&nbsp; Adding the red-dot "is prepared" marker (or whatever replaces it per earlier suggestions) to cantrips would be very nice to have.
+1