Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Save token grid size

So, in some games i've been or had a large size (2x2) character / animal companion. some GM's don't copy tokens between maps and have players drag the picture from the journal which always defaults to a 1x1 grid size. which is fine and all but not particularly useful to save the GM time when they have to manually resize it.  What i'd like to suggest is a way to set a token to have a different default grid size. use of this include; grid scale 2 for enlarged characters, horses,.some summons, ect. grid scale 0.5 could make a half sized token that's still centred on the middle of a tile (useful for tiny characters like familiers.)  grid scale 0.75 to make gnomes or halflings.could also add to the immersion. though just a quality of life change it should make it easier on the GM and players by having it set and forget :3
d

Edited 1576562468
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I think this is largely already in the game.&nbsp; The problem with wrong sized tokens is that the token wasn't resized before being saved as the default token of the character sheet.&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a>&nbsp; And, you can already make a token be scaled to whatever portion of a grid square you want by editing it in GIMP (or whatever other program you use) to add transparent space around it.
@Kraynic -&nbsp; this is not correct, no matter the size of the uploaded token when dropped onto the token grid it'll scale to whatever the grid size is (70x70px by default) a picture that is 140x140 won't upload in a 2x2 grid size unless its on the background layer, which is not what I am talking about.smaller tokens are possible with upload by adding transparent around the normal token to cause it to auto scale, but larger is not possible without resizing on the grid by the gm It does save stats if linked up but token scale seems to not be one of those things&nbsp;
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
That is what I mean.&nbsp; You only need to resize once, and then link it and it will retain that size.&nbsp; It does seem to only work correctly if you have resized and linked your token on a map with the default grid scale, but it does work.&nbsp; I do this with spell templates in my games so that players can drag them out already sized. The initial scale is probably something that can't be avoided.&nbsp; I don't think many tokens for creatures that normally fill a single cell are 70x70 pixels.&nbsp; They are usually at least 3-4 times that size so they look ok when scaled up for spell effects or whatever.&nbsp; That would still leave you resizing all tokens to the size you want and linking them.&nbsp; In the marketplace they are supposed to be working on making some sort of size labeling, but I don't think it is live yet. I think it was mentioned somewhere else as well, but in a quick search, I can only find this mention:&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7745403/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7745403/slug%7D</a>
Tokens are usually uploaded as avatar by the players though, and dragged on to the table like that. As for some inexplicable reason it is not possible to set an already uploaded image as avatar, and no one ever wants to use the token function as they can't be dragged onto the table.
Creating a character entry for a given token in the journal, clicking edit in the top right, and then saving the token (after it has been resized to large) as Kraynic suggests will stick. Here are the steps I follow: Place token on the vtt. Resize to the desired size. Click on the Journal tab. Click Add. Click Character. Select token. Click Selected Token (under Default Token (Optional)). Click Save. Close Character window. Now whenever you drag that character entry to the vtt, it will drop the token in the same state as it was when you saved it.

Edited 1578225169
Alayern said: Creating a character entry for a given token in the journal, clicking edit in the top right, and then saving the token (after it has been resized to large) as Kraynic suggests will stick. Here are the steps I follow: Place token on the vtt. Resize to the desired size. Click on the Journal tab. Click Add. Click Character. Select token. Click Selected Token (under Default Token (Optional)). Click Save. Close Character window. Now whenever you drag that character entry to the vtt, it will drop the token in the same state as it was when you saved it. This has to be done by the gm. Players don't have the ability to change their own default token. This might be the root of the confusion in this thread.&nbsp; As said by others before: What you want is possible, but has to be set up once by the gm. Then you can drag&amp;drop your token as you like.&nbsp; Edit: So maybe this suggestion is about giving this ability to the players.&nbsp;
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .