Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Everything was deleted, when switching to players view.

Hi. I was sitting and building the campaign on my own, and when I was finally satisfied with one slide, a map of the city I have hand drawn, adding 135 notes (texts on who lives in the buildings and stuff), and I was just starting on adding the NPCs in the characters section, with some info for players, and some for me only. So I just wanted to check how it looked from a players perspective, and found the "switch to players view"-button. I pushed it, and what players saw, was total black (even though I had lighted everything on the map). So I went back, assuming I hadn't done the Fog of War the right way. When I got back, the WHOLE thing, was exactly like it was two hours ago... Two hours of work was simply gone... And now I need to wait a day or two until I have the motivation to do this all over again... But in the meantime it would be great to know why this happened, so that I don't have to do it all over again. During the making, several notes dissapared multiple times. I.e. I copypasted "watchtower" 13 times on the token layer, and when I wasn't pleased with the last position, I deleted it, and rewrote it. Then I realized that all the other "tokens" were gone. The "military training facility" which was on map layer didn't dissapear. This is the first time I'm building anything here, so I wanted to see how the layers looks for players too, which is why I did notes in different layers. I run Google Chrome Version 25.0.1364.152 m on Windows 8. And I really don't want to try to reproduce this :-P Ask me if you need more. To me it seems like I forgot to hit the "save" button, but I thought the whole point was that there is none......
You have to add a token that you control as a player with light.
Well, the biggest problem is that when I got back into GM-mode everything was deleted... I have a token with light too, but the blackness isn't really the problem... That's only a minor detail to the fact that two hours of work simply vanished...
What is your setup like in terms of where you were putting things? If you were putting the text on the same layer as other objects (e.g. on the Maps layer on top of maps) sometimes it gets moved behind the other things. So if you have a large map you might try using "Send to Back" and see if the text appears. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll take a look.
Hi, well, I tried choosing the map itself (which is one file I've scanned on 3,64 MB), and it didn't help anything. Also, the character I made, with GM notes, Players notes, a picture, 6 attributes was also gone when I got back. I am sure this wouldn't take more than half an hour, when I'm gonna do it again, but that's because it was my first time, so I had some experimenting to do. Among others with the name tags. So I had the map (which I already had chosen the "To back" on), and then added, on map layer firstly, four or five name tags. And since I wanted to rotate them, I cleared all, and started again in the token layer. After some time, I figured that I was able to rotate the text even when not token, so I started going back to map layer, and did the rest of the labeling over there. So in all, some of the labeling was done as tokens, and some on the map layer. I also sent some from the token and back to the map, and the other way around, just to test, but by the time I switched to players view, there was some tokens and some tags, on the map. And with one token representing me, with the light to, and the whole map was revealed, with FoW activated (yeah...) Basically what took me so long time was matching what I had done pen&paper, with what I had to add into Roll20, and doublechecking and all, which is why it will take short time next time I'll do it... But still, it was a big bummer having lost two hours of work.. Is there any more info you need? :-)
The name of the campaign would be helpful. And there wasn't any red box that popped up or anything while you were working on the map that said you lost your connection to the server? 
Nope, none. I have done most of the work now, and even basic stuff like the fact that I had changed the name of the slide to "minestown" instead of "start"... It was also changed back. And the map was changed back to the old I used with hardwritten numbers on (which I edited gone when I made the map I started marking), even though I deleted it before I added the" blank" one.  The campaign name is Broga. 
I just had this same problem! Hours and hours of work were just deleted! Is there a server time-out? Idle time out? I left the roll 20 window open overnight and started to work again this morning. There were no warning messages about lost connections. I did get a weird message when trying to whisper myself, but after that nothing would show up on screen. Rolls, text, nothing. I lost multiple maps on multiple pages due to this and am really, really discouraged!! Is there anything that can be done? =( Firefox 19.0, Windows 7, Campaign name "Demon Magnets."
oddly enough, the map pieces I starred to put in my library were still in my library...
Steven can you tell me the name of your campaign as well? I'll take a look. EDIT: Nevermind I see you already told me, sorry. I'll take a look.
Steven, I just looked, and we captured a backup snapshot of your map last night at around 5AM EST, and it is very close to the one that's currently on your account. Is the one that's currently there one that you re-built? Or can you be more specific about what you lost or what's happening with the current map so I can investigate further...?
I feel like I hijacked Leif's thread and diverted your attention from him. Can we take this to messages so he doesn't get updates about my problem. I am new to using forums and in my distress I just posted with someone who had a similar problem. Sorry Leif! =(
No problem, I've done more now than I had when it was all gone :-)  And it's great to know that this is a possibility :-) 
Leif Egil R. said: No problem, I've done more now than I had when it was all gone :-)  And it's great to know that this is a possibility :-)  Okay, sorry again. Absolutely let us know if it happens again...
Okay I figured out what caused this. We enabled some new security features about 2 weeks ago, one of which was session tokens that expire. Apparently they were expiring after 24 hours and failing silently rather than alerting you. So you thought you were editing things but it was rejecting your edits. I've added an alert which will force you to reload after 24 hours (when your session expires). If for some reason you have Roll20 open for more than 24 hours straight without reloading and you don't get alerted, please let me know.
Nice work, Gumshoe! Thanks for following this to the end. I really appreciate the support!