Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Animated Maps

Team The addition of animated maps could be a huge addition to roll20. I believe animated maps are the next level for VTT roleplaying games. I also believe that it does not chip away at the creativity of roleplaying, instead it adds to immersion online. As music and numerous overlays add to the immersion while roleplaying I feel animated maps do the same. Once gamers game on a animated map they usually want more.  I realize the constraints of uploading huge map files to the server. I'll admit I'm not well versed in the technicalities with making this happen. I'll offer a few suggestions, store animated maps locally on GM computer using GM computer as local server for players to link to for animated maps or larger image size maps, link animated map to external approved link accessed by each user. This option would allow Roll20 to tap into the animated map demand for the marketplace.  I'd like to hear everyone's feelings on animated maps and the challenges they pose for possible implementation. Thanks Andy
Mino
Marketplace Creator
Animations are already supported through Roll20, but they can tend to be laggy after a certain size of animation comes into play. It's much easier to just have a static map background, then put animation over top of it using things like animated trees, or weather effects. Having tried to put animated maps onto the tabletop, they become noisy and super compressed and end up compromising the gaming experience in my personal opinion. I much rather animate the individual elements as necessary. Granted, that's not always easy for the average person. And there are creators offsite who make animated maps for people to use on their own terms, usually for TV gaming. Until the tabletop can handle animations at larger sizes though, I'd suggest trying it as multiple smaller animations.
I understand the use of Animated Map streaming via VTT:ES  bypasses Pro Storage benefits, and therefore isn't possible to officially allow. But simply introducing this service officially for Pro users could simply be the answer. Pro memberships would likely increase as a consequence, and those that use the Animated Maps for epic boss fights or wonderful scene-setting get what they want. Animated maps have always worked fantastically for me, no performance sacrifices in comparison to GIF maps. The only thing preventing them from working as intended now is R20s resistance to it. Video maps are the future of VTT. Roll with it! (Pun intended)
You can upload mp4's and stretch them to fill the map space for animated maps. At least, you can if you have a Pro account. I'm almost certain even a free account can upload them, but they are generally heavy on file size. 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .