Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Use Cards or Tokens for this...?

So I have these cards which are Threat Cards - simply the stats for a mob or creature. Two sided. I would love to be able to have a deck of these and pull one out depending on what the players are facing.  Then I could flip it back and forth to show relevant information. However the Decks seem to only allow one Backing. Is it possible to use a Deck for this or should I look for another way to bring these things out onto the board.  I have read that multisided tokens are a thing, could that work?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Cards work basically like a multi sided token with only two sides. You can make multi sided tokens by creating Rollable Tables with them images you want, then creating a Rollable Table Token from them. A little tedious if you have a bunch to do, but it could work. There isn't a nice way of choosing one at random, like there is with a deck of cards. There is definitely a way to do what you want with the API, but it would need to be created and might not be particularly straight forward. 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Multi-sided tokens are probably the best way for this. If these are torg character tokens, dont you only need to show the player side of them. The back (IIRC) is normally used for the gm-view stats, and in roll20 you use the character sheet for that. If you go that route, you only need one side, and a card deck would work - or just the default token of a character. Torg uses cards because they are already printing card decks for the drama and destiny decks, so its not much extra expense to do the creature cards that way. But in roll20, you only really need the art, and sorting them in a card deck probably isnt needed unless you plan to draw randomly from it for encounters and such. Does that happen in torg?

Edited 1580957569
See, thats the thing.  In Torg there are no GM stats, theres no behind the scenes. SO for the threat cards, players would normally see both sides (the cards stand up on a table top). Unless multi sided tokens are easier, I am thinking that I will just have to image edit the two sides together to make a square 'card', then use whatever for the backing. Gonna be a pain to do for each monster.  Using handouts for this would be tedious which is why I am asking for a better way.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Those work well at a table, but might not be the best way to present information in roll20. The torg images - if the numbers on them are to be readable - will have to be pretty big and will eat a lot of map space. Handouts might work better, or macro to print the stats into chat (you'll have the image on the creature's token probably). 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
If you make them sufficiently high resolution and players can select them, they can use Z to see a large version of them.
And I never knew about the Z to zoom thing.  I think I will just go with a handouts and edit the images together.