Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Why are there colored condition markers on some of the characters in the Journal

Dan W.
Sheet Author
I was looking at my first campaign after the first session when I noticed something in the Journal I didn't understand. There are colored condition markers on some of the characters elements in the list. There's no consistent pattern I can see as to why some of them have them and other's do not. They aren't hurting anything, but why are they there? I've discovered enough about roll20 to know there is more to learn.
Those colors are the same as the 'default' color selected by your players; for example, whichever player controls "Logan Reoz" has selected that shade of red as his default drawing color. The color is the tiny box in the corner of the player icon in the bottom left of the screen, visible when the player is in the game. It can be changed by clicking on it. In other words, it's a sort of color-coding to tell you who controls what. -Phnord
Dan W.
Sheet Author
Ah, okay, thanks Phnord. So, why would Nimuay and the other character have no color? All of these players were not currently running/launching the campaign if that matters. Enjoy Betelgeuse. --Dan
A correction: If the journal entry is tagged to be in a player's journal, then the dot appears. It's not based on who controls it, but who has access to the journal. This wasn't what I thought; I checked based on your response and found out. Learn something new every day, right? It doesn't matter if they're currently active or not, if you have them set as "In Player's Journals" then they're there. To illustrate, I did so with my current group, giving all players individually access to a certain book they'd found. Note the big string of colored dots... and the dots on their player characters match. -Phnord
The color just tells you which player has active control over that element. So a PC's character sheet will be linked to their player name, thus their drawing color. A journal item with no colors next to it is not connected to any player, and thus only controllable by the DM.