Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Trying to help my player make an attack macro.

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I've spent about 20 minute searching and all the results I've found seem to apply to a sheet that my campaign is not using. I have a player that's playing a necromancer and he has to manage a lot of minions. As a result, he's decided to make character sheets for all his minions to speed up play, and he wants to have as many macros as possible to further enhance play speed. Our current bottleneck is that we can't figure out how to make an attack macro that he can access from the main roll20 screen. If anyone can help us with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. We're using this sheet: Pathfinder by Roll20 Authors: Natha Again, to clarify, the goal is for the player in question to be able to do everything from the game map, without going to his character sheet (his computer is slow and laggy). Currently we have basic macros that pull all the other info (saves, AC, etc) from the tokens/character sheet, but can't figure out the attacks. Please let me know if any more information is necessary. Thanks!

Edited 1582301692
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
There are a couple fairly simple ways to go about this, but they do take a little set up. 1) Roll an attack (or whatever) from a minion.  Put your cursor in the chat window and hit the up arrow.  Copy the macro code that shows (previous roll) and paste it into an ability you add on the Attributes & Abilities tab of that minion.  Name that new ability whatever will make it clear what it does and check the box for it to be a token ability.  Now that button will be visible when that token is selected. 2) Enable the quick macro bar in the collections tab.  Drag an attack (or whatever) from a sheet to that quick bar.  Click that button to roll the attack/ability.  Put your cursor in the chat window and click the up arrow.  You will notice this version of referencing the macro looks different than the previous method, but copy/paste this into a new ability just like from version 1. After getting them set up, drag abilities off the quick bar and turn off the quick bar in settings. The difference between 1 & 2 is that 2 isn't a hard coded macro, but is calling on the sheet ability to roll the macro.  This means that version 2 will obey any changes made to sheet settings (like whisper GM) without needing to muck with the macro.  Version 1 will always roll as it was set up before you copied the code. If any of the minions have a lot of abilities and you don't want to have that many token action buttons, you could consider using a chat menu which is a technique in the Stupid Tricks thread pinned at the top of this forum (the first post is an index, which Chat Menus not far from the top).
Alright. My gosh. #1 worked like a charm. You are a god among men. Even if I can't figure out #2, this trip was made worth it for that alone. It took me a little while to figure out #2, but I eventually got it. Apparently it does NOT work after you pop a character sheet out. That was a fun five minutes. Anyway, seriously, thank you. You are amazing. I'll go look into the Stupid Tricks thread next. The absolute ideal macro situation for us would be a series of "Attack 1" and "Attack 2" buttons, that always calls the first, second, third, etc.... listed attacks on a character sheet, that way the player only needs several macros, and it will just call the attack from the selected token. Any idea if this is possible? It seems like the #2 trick you gave me will work but will result in a ton of macro buttons with all his various minions.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Links: Stupid Tricks Chat Menu
Well I've been lost reading the Stupid Tricks thread for the last 20 minutes. Good stuff. Anyway, the Chat Menu is a bit overkill for this player. Very useful for me, but not so much for him. Any idea how to call unspecific numbered attacks rather than specific attacks? For example, if instead of 30 macros for his 30 different minion types, he could have just one macro that calls the first and only attack they all have listed on their character sheet, that would be splendid. Is that possible with this character sheet?

Edited 1582305746
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Assuming they are built as NPCs, this will call the first melee attack on any selected token: %{selected|repeating_npcatk-melee_$0_attack} And this will call the first ranged attack: %{selected|repeating_npcatk-ranged_$0_attack} If you use the ranged attack macro on a character that has no ranged attack (or melee for no melee), you will get garbage results, but that can be safely ignored.
I apologize; I'm relatively new to GMing in roll20. Perhaps I didn't set up the character sheet properly. I'm not sure I set the sheet up as an NPC. When I use the macro you provided, I get a long string of error messages. I will look into the NPC thing and come back more prepared. Thanks. :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If it is built as a PC, try: %{selected|repeating_attacks_$0_fullattack}
I managed to figure out the NPC thing. That's a fantastic option. I'd never used it before. I might start putting NPC stats into the system like that. Your first macro works great for this. The minions are built as PCs, and your second macro works perfectly! I know understand what I was doing wrong, and feel like an utter moron. Thanks so much! :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Don't feel bad. There's a lot to learn. The main advantage to the NPC view (besides conciseness) is that the sheet holds less data (fewer filled-in attributes). If you have fifty of these things, your game will likely run better if they are built as NPCs. 
Yeah, I'll definitely make sure any new monster types he makes get converted to this new format. It's a lot smoother for data entry, too, rather than requiring character building.