Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Auto Expanding Textareas

How does one get a textarea to expand after text has been put into it? I have seen this feature on several sheets, but I cannot make heads or tails of it.
Davemania
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've had success reusing the sample here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/882997/css-wizardry/?pageforid=5603982#post-5603982" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/882997/css-wizardry/?pageforid=5603982#post-5603982</a>

Edited 1582906734
Coal Powered Puppet
Pro
Sheet Author
...not working for me.&nbsp; I set the minimum height per the instructions, and all it does is cover the other stuff below it. Edit : And it doesn't expand.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I'll try and drum up an example. I'm currently dealing with some life altering medical issues in my immediate family...&nbsp; Chris B. used it on the PF community sheet.&nbsp; Look at the first character section (name, age, alignment, etc.)

Edited 1582934575
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
You can try playing around with this CPP html &lt;div class="wrapper"&gt; &lt;label class="title-text autoexpand"&gt; &lt;input type="text" name="attr_foo" /&gt; &lt;span&gt;Foo&lt;/span&gt; &lt;span class="autoexpand" name="attr_foo"&gt;&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/label&gt; &lt;br&gt; &lt;label class="title-text autoexpand"&gt; &lt;textarea name="attr_foo1"&gt;&lt;/textarea&gt; &lt;span&gt;Foo1&lt;/span&gt; &lt;span class="autoexpand" name="attr_foo1"&gt;&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/label&gt; &lt;/div&gt; css .sheet-wrapper { width: 100%; background-color:beige; } input[type="text"], textarea { width: 100%; min-width: 40px; } .sheet-title-text.sheet-autoexpand { width: auto; min-width: 40px; max-width: 99%; } .sheet-title-text.sheet-autoexpand input, .sheet-title-text.sheet-autoexpand textarea { position:absolute; overflow:hidden; } .sheet-title-text.sheet-autoexpand textarea { width: calc(100% - 10px); } .sheet-title-text.sheet-autoexpand span.sheet-autoexpand { visibility: hidden; width: 100%; white-space: pre-wrap; word-wrap: break-word; overflow-wrap: break-word; display: block; z-index: -1; height: 1em; overflow: hidden; margin-top: -1em; font-size: 1em; } .sheet-title-text &gt; input:not([class="*"]), .sheet-title-text &gt; textarea:not([class="*"]) { display: block; padding: 5px; position: relative; font-size: 1em; } .sheet-title-text.sheet-autoexpand span:not(.sheet-autoexpand) { white-space: nowrap; } .sheet-title-text { display: inline-block; text-align: center; position: relative; }
I will give it a try tomorrow and see what happens&nbsp;

Edited 1582938583
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
i think it works best with text inputs.&nbsp; Not sure if I ever got it to work as I wanted for textarea...&nbsp; I included both.&nbsp; Goodluck.
Okay, this is working.&nbsp; Thank you, Vince.&nbsp; I just have to style it now.&nbsp; For that, I style the container and have everyone inherit the result, correct? Also...beige?&nbsp; Really?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
hehe, i often use beige as a testing colour. It does look pretty awful.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
@CPP you'll have to play around with styling.&nbsp; I had to add a font-size in order for the expandable span to tightly match the width of the hidden text. lol "Beige" sounds better than it looks.&nbsp; ;-)