Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Does roll20 support audio in GIFs?

Stephen D
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I am just curious if I make a GIF and upload it to roll20, can I also add audio to it? I have assumed until now that audio is not supported in animations but I can't find documentation to say yay or nay! Anyone know?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
GIF is a graphic only format. It does not support audio. As a Pro user, you can use Roll20 Audio Master to create a macro that plays audio on command.
Stephen D
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Keith; I may have been confusing myself. I Am new to animations. Correct me if I am wrong, but roll20 converts movie files to webm files does it not? Those can include audio info so can I make something that will play in time with the animation; the problem with macros is that they are completely out of synch with the animation?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm not sure of the process of creating a .webm, but from my understanding it's an either/or situation. Roll20 only supports animation for .webm. One of the folks who regularly makes webm animation for the marketplace can probably answer with more authority, though.
Stephen D
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks for your time anyway. I am assuming the answer is not as none of them have any audio on marketplace.

Edited 1583815751
Mino
Marketplace Creator
Nope, definitely doesn't work for gifs, and doesn't work for .webm as far as I know. While .webm as a format does support audio, the Roll20 tabletop doesn't. Additionally, due to how Roll20 syncs up animations, manually playing sounds can desync with other players since animations begin at the point the client loads it. While I'm not sure when audio plays compared to the user, since there's uncertainty over how animations will look, I don't think the roll20 Audio Master solution works well either. Unless you were doing something like playing an animation at the same time as the players load into a page using that existing function.
Stephen D
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Rainy! You have confirmed all of my suspicions but it's nice that you'd take the time.