Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Quick roll macro for Invisible Sun

Hi all, My in-person Invisible Sun campaign has migrated online, and while it's been a while since I did anything particularly complicated on Roll20, the rolling system is unusual enough that I broke out the old macro tricks and wrote a macro to roll IS dice. I figured it might be useful if anyone else is trying to play it (and hopefully this thread will come up if they search for advice). The very basic criteria for rolling is: The GM decides on a difficulty (this may be shared or secret) The player adds up their Venture - which is bonuses from skills, spending attribute points, spell effects, etc Roll a d10 but 0-9 (the 0 on the die is actually a 0, not a 10) If the player is using magic, add 1 or more Magic Dice. Each Magic Die is also a 0-9 d10, but if any of them roll a natural 0, the character experiences Magical Flux (which is more severe based on the number of 0's rolled on magic dice) The number of dice that roll over (Difficulty - Venture) is the number of successes, but we usually add Venture to each die when we roll to make it easier to compare multiple players' rolls to a single difficulty So with that in mind, my criteria was to ask for the Venture (because there's a lot of factors to consider), ask for the number of magic dice, then roll the mundane die and that many magic dice, adding the Venture to each and highlighting any 0's rolled on magic dice (ignoring 0 on the mundane die and 9's on any die because they're not significant). I don't consider the difficulty because it's not always known, and that matches the way my group plays at the table (roll the dice, add the venture, tell the GM each result and how much flux). /me rolls with a Venture of ?{Venture|0} Mundane Die: [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] Magic Dice: ?{Magic Dice|0,None|1,[[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] |2,[[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]]|3,[[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]]|4,[[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]]|5,[[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]] [[d10cs11 - 1 + ?{Venture}]]}
Thank you! This is a great help, trying to run my first Roll20 session tonight!
I'm glad it's helpful! I've had some friends I shared it with have problems, so FYI once you put it into a macro in Roll20, when you save it then open it again, it may display it wrong (it changes all the } parts when displaying), so you can't edit it or copy it to put it elsewhere. You have to either copy it from here again, or else just save it in a text file somewhere, and paste it into Roll20 from there every time.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you save it in the Abilities section of character sheet that doesnt happen. So it can be worth creating a character sheet called Macros to hold macros like this, leave the sheet's Visibility default (in no ones sheet), but set the Editable by to All Players. Players wont be able to see the sheet so they cant actually edit it, but they can now use abilities from it. Let's say you called that ability IS-roll. Then in your universal macros, create a macro also called IS-roll, and give it the text: %{Macros|IS-roll} set this macro to be usable by players, and they can use that macro just like a normal macro, and it will roll the ability on the character sheet. Personally I'd make it a token action, so its available for use by any player when they have a token selected. It's a bit convoluted to set up the first time, but once you have it done once, you can do it again for others easily enough, and it's seamless for players - they dont have to use any new syntax. It's just there for them to use.