Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GM option to expose character sheets to other players

Score + 410
+1 This feature would be incredibly useful and it's a bit surprising it doesn't exist yet!
Slowly but surely still getting there... Let's keep this going!
+1 pls ^^
+1 seriously.  Do it, Staff.  There's no excuse not to.
+1 because this would make some sense.
+1 I very much would like this.
+1 That is SO basic....
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Oh boy, 200 votes. And just in time for Christmas.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah, I'm not sure if/how they will implement this though.  If I understand correctly, edit permissions allow access to the attributes and abilities tab.  The character sheet is a fancy UI for the attributes and abilities tab with added automation through sheetworker scripts.  Things that are marked readonly and not able to be edited on the character sheet are still editable where they show on the attributes and abilities tab.   I'm not sure this is as simple a thing as people in this thread seem to think it is.  Of course, it might be simpler than I think it is also.  I'm interested to see what marker this receives.
The time has finally come, looking forward to seeing this feature added!

Edited 1576510312
Spren
Sheet Author
Kraynic said: Yeah, I'm not sure if/how they will implement this though.  If I understand correctly, edit permissions allow access to the attributes and abilities tab.  The character sheet is a fancy UI for the attributes and abilities tab with added automation through sheetworker scripts.  Things that are marked readonly and not able to be edited on the character sheet are still editable where they show on the attributes and abilities tab.   I'm not sure this is as simple a thing as people in this thread seem to think it is.  Of course, it might be simpler than I think it is also.  I'm interested to see what marker this receives. Yeah I'm with you. I'd love this to be a thing, but I can't imagine it'd be easy to make a character viewable and interact-able while also preventing it from being editable. If the sheets were one page it'd be fine, but since they tend to have tabs and things you can't just make it unclickable or something. I'm curious what others think though.  
No response yet? I get there is some question as to how or if this could be implemented but where is the dev response? It's been days since this hit 200 votes!

Edited 1576699676
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Joe said: No response yet? I get there is some question as to how or if this could be implemented but where is the dev response? It's been days since this hit 200 votes! Keep in mind that this is only a "suggestion" forum.&nbsp; They are not obligated to make any of the changes posted here.&nbsp; 200 votes is the threshold for something to be considered for development.&nbsp; The wiki page on suggestions specifically addresses this:&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Forum_Voting#Does_this_mean_you.27ll_finally_implement_.3CFeature_I_Really_Want.3E_since_it_has_the_most_votes.3F.21" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Forum_Voting#Does_this_mean_you.27ll_finally_implement_.3CFeature_I_Really_Want.3E_since_it_has_the_most_votes.3F.21</a>
Some acknowledgement that they will or will not push this through would still be nice.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
All posts which cross the 200-vote threshold should be given a tag, even if it's "Obstructed" or "Not now." I think the people who have their votes here would like an explanation for those results, though.
Honestly, I think Spren and Kraynic have a good point as for a reason it could be obstructed or not now. That said, I agree that a tag would be nice.
Let's keep in mind that we are entering the holidays here in the US, so it may be some time before the mods can update things. Even if it were not the holidays, I think they make passes through the suggestions once a month.
Even then, I just found this and I hope they do work to implement this.&nbsp; I like to do a shared background with my long term D&amp;D groups.&nbsp; This can help to make sure we are on the same page and make sure we balance out what we intended to balance out.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
StrayLuluCat said: Even then, I just found this and I hope they do work to implement this.&nbsp; I like to do a shared background with my long term D&amp;D groups.&nbsp; This can help to make sure we are on the same page and make sure we balance out what we intended to balance out. If you do your character backgrounds on the Bio &amp; Info tab, that can already be made visible to other players along with the portrait you assign to the sheet.&nbsp;

Edited 1577765750
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
It's been almost 3 weeks, and still no tag on the topic yet. I understand that the roll20 staff are taking some holiday breaks, but I would have hoped for some more timely response to this.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
They did post that they wouldn't be doing much from Chrismas Eve through New Years Day.&nbsp; Then they will probably be catching up on backlog for a few.&nbsp; If you missed it, the announcement was here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7991406/roll20-holiday-availability" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7991406/roll20-holiday-availability</a>
Wondering how much longer until they get around to this one.
You do realize that even once Roll20 updates the tag, it's no guarantee it will be developed. It may take months or years or never, depending on other things in the pipeline. Patience will serve you well. :-)
The tag is all we are asking for, what comes next depends on the bridge we end up at.

Edited 1578389225
Gold
Forum Champion
Checking to see if there's a Tag or Dev Response on this great suggestion? Hiding your Character Sheet from fellow players AFIK is not in the rules of D&amp;D. It more of a social game when you share and play co-op with open viewing of fellow characters' sheets.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
I don't know if any edition of D&amp;D has even made mention of whether players should see each other's sheets. I think that is usually left up to the individual tables. Some tables will absolutely not share character sheets, while others are more collaborative.
So is there still a backlog for devs to catch up on or what?
+1
It has been over a month now since this suggestion hit 200 votes. Why hasn't it been tagged yet?
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Good morning, all! Thanks for being patient. I've read through the suggestion, and I'm compiling a list of all the requests, researching their feasibility, and will be back with any questions I end up with soon.
Thank you for responding and tagging the suggestion!

Edited 1582599668
I'm new into the Roll20 world and the website is amazing and all. But I'm surprised that this feature (can say it's a must have one) isn't native yet. At least there is a script for Pro users, but I'm not Pro :( Edit: +1
+1
I will add to this; It'd be great if we could view a character sheet without affecting the navigation of the owners of the sheet. I can't count the amount of times I'm trying to help one of my players and me subconsciously flipping through their tabs caused something to go awry when the player was noodling on a part of it without telling me. Being able to select "view character tab" rather than "edit character tab" would be incredibly useful and it would free me up considerably. Many of my fellow players would do a much better job reviewing the sheets of other characters, especially if one of them is new to the hobby. Or even just benefit from being able to see what other players are doing with their skills so the party doesn't double up on something.
+1 was just wonder why i couldn't make this happen and stumbled onto this thread!
Added my vote as well.
+1
+1 me too !
+1
+1 from me. My group would really benefit. Ideally however I would want it to be read only for all players inc the "owner" and editable by me.&nbsp; Alternatively - an audit per character sheet of all changes made would be similarly good. If a player changes a stat, it is an uneditable log file ....&nbsp;
+1
Yeah, find it quite bizarre that there's no option to view other player's character sheets. I'd love to browse all the different stats and info of my fellow adventurers.
Adding my vote to this feature.&nbsp; This definitely should have been in years ago.
+1
yeah please, I always thought it was bizarre that we couldn't do this.
Kenton said: Good morning, all! Thanks for being patient. I've read through the suggestion, and I'm compiling a list of all the requests, researching their feasibility, and will be back with any questions I end up with soon. It's good to know that there's some interest in this, but this was originally requested 5 years ago! I hope it doesn't take another 5 years to implement 'cause I've been waiting for this feature for a while and it's something my group and I could really use across different systems.
+1'ing this. This is something that would be really handy, even if it's difficult to implement. Perhaps read-only access to the "attributes and abilities" section, but not write? Dunno. But seriously, this feature should be available.
+1
+1 this would be an absolute game changer.