Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

3D Dice Rolls Too Many Dice

When we roll dice from the Pathfinder sheet, assigned to a weapon, the screen shows double the dice, but only one of these values counts in the Chat.   How do I turn the dice to show just 1d20 on the tabletop and 1 set of damage.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The only way to avoid this is to switch off the 3d feature. Explaining why this happens is a bit complicated, but its because of a combination of three different features of roll20 that dont really work well together:  In roll20 rolls, you cant have conditional effects. You cant do, "if this roll is a 20, roll another die." Your macro has to roll them both, so the second die is there if it is needed. Character sheets have a feature called rolltemplates, which can hide certain outputs. So you can roll both those dice, but only show the second one if the first rolled a 20. Both dice still need to be rolled, but the user only sees the second which it is actually needed. Unfortunately, 3d dont know what rolltemplates are doing. They dont know that one of the dice is being hidden, so they get shown anyway. Only the roll20 devs can fix this, and this problem has been around for years, so it doesnt look like they ever will.
Thank you.   We are playing off of the chat.   I really appreciate the response!
This still happens and it's with the 5e sheet. I really find that a bummer because I love watching the virtual dice but it's  a bit confusing if you actually try to add the die rather than checking the chat window. It's also kinda awkward when recording the game for twitch since.... well, you try explaining this to every guy in chat.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's been happening since then rolltemplate feature was introduced quite a few years ago, so its not going to change in the foreseeable future.
If anyone's keeping track, this also happens for the rolltemplates for the D&D 3.5e character sheet.  It's good to know why it's happening though. I'll have to discuss this with my players going forward.