Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[GURPS] - Sheet #1 - Thread 1

MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Charles Saeger said: Deleting a hit location doesn't stick. Once you close the sheet, it repopulates. Hi Charles Saeger,  I think the original intention is if a title was left blank, the original value will return in case there was a need to return to the original hit locations. As a fix you can enter a "-", "n/a", or something like that for the "Where" column and set 0 for Penalty and DR columns, that will prevent the default values from showing again. Thanks, Ken
First, thanks a lot for this effort to create a GURPS character sheet. GURPS is not simple and this is hellping me a lot! There´s one thing that I think could make at least my life easier. My character has a lot of skills and it´s "hard" to click the button to use the skill because it´s too far from the skill name. I think that you should change the place of the button to use the skill with the button to show/hide more information. 
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Sandro said: First, thanks a lot for this effort to create a GURPS character sheet. GURPS is not simple and this is hellping me a lot! There´s one thing that I think could make at least my life easier. My character has a lot of skills and it´s "hard" to click the button to use the skill because it´s too far from the skill name. I think that you should change the place of the button to use the skill with the button to show/hide more information.  Thank you Sandro! The show/hide button is a standard location for expected design behavior, so we don't plan on moving it, it's also a pattern we've been using for other parts of the sheet. I'll talk with Mike W. about moving the roll button. We would also like to hear from others before moving the roll button. Ken aka MadCoder.
 I actually prefer the original position of the skill button, it just seems convenient since every other button (like technique, or combat, even traits and attributes) is positioned to the right.

Edited 1585666207
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Sandro said: First, thanks a lot for this effort to create a GURPS character sheet. GURPS is not simple and this is hellping me a lot! There´s one thing that I think could make at least my life easier. My character has a lot of skills and it´s "hard" to click the button to use the skill because it´s too far from the skill name. I think that you should change the place of the button to use the skill with the button to show/hide more information.  Sandro Thanks for your comments about the macro button. Actually I think it was 2 years ago I asked if people wanted us to to move the macro button. He is a sample of the screen shots I proposed (mind you these are older formats). The consensus is that most wanted them to remain where they were. However maybe things have change so I ask everyone - What do you prefer or think? We are certainly not apposed to it. Just let us know. Mike W
Just a heads up, the Apply Combat Reflexes checkbox works correctly, but it only applies the bonus to dodges. Combat Reflexes gives a +1 to all active defenses. You get +1 to all active defense rolls (see Defending, p. 374), +1 to Fast-Draw skill, and +2 to Fright Checks (see Fright Checks , p. 360).                                                  p. 43 of Basic Not a huge deal, but thought I'd point that out. Thanks for the hard work! elaxter

Edited 1585905915
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
elaxter said: Just a heads up, the Apply Combat Reflexes checkbox works correctly, but it only applies the bonus to dodges. Combat Reflexes gives a +1 to all active defenses. You get +1 to all active defense rolls (see Defending, p. 374), +1 to Fast-Draw skill, and +2 to Fright Checks (see Fright Checks , p. 360).                                                  p. 43 of Basic Not a huge deal, but thought I'd point that out. Thanks for the hard work! elaxter Yes that is correct it automatically is adding to Dodge base score but not added automatically added for Parry and Block as those scores are variable. Those Parry ad Block numbers are manually inputted into the Roll20 character from your GCA, GCS,or paper character sheet. We felt it was not needed or people would enter those numbers into the Roll20 sheet and another Plus 1 would be automatically entered. Once we add the ability to linked a Parry or a Block to a skill, like attacks, then the +1 can be automatically added in. BTW: Thank you for your comment about the work we have done, it is much appreciated. Mike W

Edited 1585934813
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
BY the way:we  forgot to post this: Latest Updates Version 2.3.0  – PULL 03/31/2020 –  Successful General Tab: Removed checkbox for whispering Perception. Current default behavior for whisper is player and game master can see the roll. There’s o method that only the GM see the roll by the player. Combat Tab: Updated Active Defenses to have the same layout as skill and spells. Active Defenses will be populated with success/fail notes based on the Defense Type. (Later that will be further modified). Combat Tab: There are text boxes for editing the default success/fail notes for Active Defenses. UPDATE 4/3/2020: Please see known issue below! Sorry about the late notice. Mike W

Edited 1586292742
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Known Issue - the New format of the Active Defense  success/fail notes. Instead of working like they do in Skills and Spells, the notes are using those from t he Options page. The intent was for it to be a text box that you can place your own text, not the RAW (Rules as Written) text. Also the Parry Critical Fail note includes the Dodge Critical Fail note. We hope to have this fix by the next PULL on Tuesday April 7th. Note: If you delete the text it will eventually repopulate which again was not the intent. Also an unconfirmed report was that some Target numbers were not showing and negative numbers have been generated for Dodge, Parry, and Block - still unconfirmed but we are looking into it.  Ignore this second item, this was a false report and user error. UPDATE - All fixed wilt version 2.3.1 update on 4/7/2020. Mike W
Flame
Sheet Author
Hello. I've come up with some changes to the CSS for the character sheet, since I found the white only design as particularly ill advised for readability. Basically, I moved most of the color selections into a few CSS Variables, to facilitate customization, and added more color to the sheet, with boxes, tables, and rows having distinct colors to help differentiate them. Also changed a couple of misalignments in the rows. Example: l dunno if they'd be found appropriate for the community's design standards, but I would appreciate some feedback in either case. Keep in mind the color choice can be altered easily by changing the variables on the sheet, they were simply chosen based on the GURPS 4e Book's color scheme for a chapter. I've made a Pull Request with the changes to the sheet's Github.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Tame Flame said: Hello. I've come up with some changes to the CSS for the character sheet, since I found the white only design as particularly ill advised for readability. Basically, I moved most of the color selections into a few CSS Variables, to facilitate customization, and added more color to the sheet, with boxes, tables, and rows having distinct colors to help differentiate them. Also changed a couple of misalignments in the rows. Example: l dunno if they'd be found appropriate for the community's design standards, but I would appreciate some feedback in either case. Keep in mind the color choice can be altered easily by changing the variables on the sheet, they were simply chosen based on the GURPS 4e Book's color scheme for a chapter. I've made a Pull Request with the changes to the sheet's Github. Thanks Tame Flame, awesome of you to take the time to add CSS variables! With those variables we can change the colors based feedback, I'll message Mike W. 

Edited 1586296633
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Latest Updates Version 2.3.1  – PULL 04/07/2020 –  Successful Combat tab. fixed alignment issues with active defense arrow and chekbox when the sheet is popped out into a window. Unfortunately something went wrong when Roll20 updated the base code, so we still have this issue. Combat tab - Active Defense Success/Fail Notes. Had time to restructure the Rules As Written (RAW) notes so they are no longer part of the custom notes. They are now just stored on the options and automatically appended to the roll template. IMPORTANT : If you see double notes for active defense success, critical success, fail, or critical fail, you will need to manually delete the custom success/fail notes for each active defense. This is a onetime edit and you will not need to do that again. Mike W
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I've never played or run GURPS, but watching your updates on this sheet make me interested in checking it out at some point.  Keep up the good work!
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Kraynic said: I've never played or run GURPS, but watching your updates on this sheet make me interested in checking it out at some point.  Keep up the good work! Thank you Kraynic! Please do, GURPS Lite is available for free, if you're interested in getting started.  Ken
Thanks for the good reply. However, your new defense roll results have an issue, and it isn't only the white space (a lot of the results have extra returns at the end): The stuff about a rapid-fire attack is inapplicable to a Parry or Block, which the RAW back up (the section on p. B375 is specific to Dodge, and how can you parry rapid-fire bullets without some special Advantages?).
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Charles said: Thanks for the good reply. However, your new defense roll results have an issue, and it isn't only the white space (a lot of the results have extra returns at the end): The stuff about a rapid-fire attack is inapplicable to a Parry or Block, which the RAW back up (the section on p. B375 is specific to Dodge, and how can you parry rapid-fire bullets without some special Advantages?). Thanks for the screenshot Charles! You are correct, the RAW should not be there. I'll have to rework the RAW versus Custom rolls in order to avoid the extra spaces, it just requires a lot of annoying code. Ken
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Kraynic said: I've never played or run GURPS, but watching your updates on this sheet make me interested in checking it out at some point.  Keep up the good work! Thanks, we appreciate your comment and hope you find a GURPS game you like soon. There are at least 10 posted right now and one f them is mine. Mike W
A much more minor nit: the checkboxes on the left aren't going away when I try to Modify the Active Defenses. It's a minor nuisance since you can sort by clicking on the leftmost edge of the box, but it's mildly tricky to hit it.
Hello, thanks for all the work on this sheet. I note that the Techniques field doesn't produce correct results, and I'm unclear what the 'cost' field is for. I think it may be working for Average difficulty techniques, but for Hard techniques I had to add a Mod value of -1 to get it to reflect the correct skill. For example, a character has Shield at level 16, and the Feint technique at skill+4. This should cost 5 points to give effective skill 20, but with a minimum skill of 16 (Feint defaults to Skill), a Cost of 1 and 5 points, it gives skill 21. 
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Charles said: A much more minor nit: the checkboxes on the left aren't going away when I try to Modify the Active Defenses. It's a minor nuisance since you can sort by clicking on the leftmost edge of the box, but it's mildly tricky to hit it. Thanks Charles, we'll also work on that bug! Ken
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
GnomesofZurich said: Hello, thanks for all the work on this sheet. I note that the Techniques field doesn't produce correct results, and I'm unclear what the 'cost' field is for. I think it may be working for Average difficulty techniques, but for Hard techniques I had to add a Mod value of -1 to get it to reflect the correct skill. For example, a character has Shield at level 16, and the Feint technique at skill+4. This should cost 5 points to give effective skill 20, but with a minimum skill of 16 (Feint defaults to Skill), a Cost of 1 and 5 points, it gives skill 21.  Hi GnomesofZurich,  Yes, there are a lot issues with the old techniques fields. We've been working on a revised one, you can switch to the newer version by going to the options tab (looks like a gear icon at the top right), and look for a section titled Repeating Technique Tables . Uncheck Show Original and check Show Revised . We do want to permanently switch over to the Revised Techniques table but we're assuming a lot of players are on the original techniques table at the moment and need to time switch over to the new one. If you're the GM, there's also a Character Sheet Option on the campaign settings page for selecting which version of the Techniques table to use. NOTE: We still have more improvements to make to the Techniques table. I you have any input, please let us know. Thanks, Ken

Edited 1586602787
First of all, this sheet is amazing. Thank you so much for this. I have run into a problem regarding air move. B18 says "You can increase air Move directly for 2 points per yard/second, or reduce it for -2 points per yard/second." and B56 says the same "Your flight Move is Basic Speed x2 (drop all fractions). As explained in Move in Other Environments (p. 18), you can adjust this for ±2 points per ±1 yard/second." This works on the sheet for positive values/increases, but when dealing with decreases, the modifier has no effect, and the point cost will erase any negative value. Hopefully should be clear from the text, but here are some screenshots Edit: I should have mentioned, in the screenshots below the basic speed on the sheet is "5.25", so the default for air move is "10" Below: The modifier is not working for negative values and the point cost is working for positive values. (should be 9 instead of 11) Below: Neither the modifier or the point cost are working for negative values. (should be 8 instead of 10, also it can't be shown in a picture but negative values can't be entered into the point cost field) Below: The modifier and point cost are working for positive values. (13 as it should be) Again, Thanks!
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
James W. said: First of all, this sheet is amazing. Thank you so much for this. I have run into a problem regarding air move. B18 says "You can increase air Move directly for 2 points per yard/second, or reduce it for -2 points per yard/second." and B56 says the same "Your flight Move is Basic Speed x2 (drop all fractions). As explained in Move in Other Environments (p. 18), you can adjust this for ±2 points per ±1 yard/second." This works on the sheet for positive values/increases, but when dealing with decreases, the modifier has no effect, and the point cost will erase any negative value. Hopefully should be clear from the text, but here are some screenshots Edit: I should have mentioned, in the screenshots below the basic speed on the sheet is "5.25", so the default for air move is "10" Below: The modifier is not working for negative values and the point cost is working for positive values. (should be 9 instead of 11) Below: Neither the modifier or the point cost are working for negative values. (should be 8 instead of 10, also it can't be shown in a picture but negative values can't be entered into the point cost field) Below: The modifier and point cost are working for positive values. (13 as it should be) Again, Thanks! Thank you James. W for noticing the bug. I'm working on a few other things today and tomorrow, I'll to get them ready for the Sunday night deadline.  Ken
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Ja,es W. Now that was a very good way to report a bug. Good explanation and perfect screen shot plus it never hurts to praise use for the work we have done - lol .We do greatly appreciate you being a GURPS GM and participating in this thread.. Mike W

Edited 1586698489
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I did some cleanup on the wiki, and now the GURPS 4th Edition -page mentions the sheet, and contains much less outdated info. Now also " wiki.roll20.net/GURPS " redirects to the same page. Feel free to update the page further, or remove things you know to be inaccurate on it. The bulk of the page was written in 2015, so I'd assume that the "API Scripts" & "Other Tips" sections are inaccurate but only left them with warnings, as I don't play GURPS myself nor know if the advice is still accurate. I removed two sections on the page that were sure to be wrong to to their age.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Andreas J. said: I did some cleanup on the wiki, and now the GURPS 4th Edition -page mentions the sheet, and contains much less outdated info. Now also " wiki.roll20.net/GURPS " redirects to the same page. Feel free to update the page further, or remove things you know to be inaccurate on it. The bulk of the page was written in 2015, so I'd assume that the "API Scripts" & "Other Tips" sections are inaccurate but only left them with warnings, as I don't play GURPS myself nor know if the advice is still accurate. I removed two sections on the page that were sure to be wrong to to their age. Thank you Andreas J!  Ken

Edited 1586827179
Flame
Sheet Author
Hello. While waiting for feedback on my changes, I made some further improvements to them: I present you: Sheet Styles! Using some sheet worker tricks, I managed to code a way to use character attributes to, through CSS rule matching, modify it's assigned variables to the Character Sheet. As such, you can select, for each character, a color theme from the available options. As of right now, I have added Green, Blue, Beige, Gray, and "Classic White", the last one trying to replicate the original sheet's style within the constraints of the color variables I used, for the sake of players accustomed to it. With just 3 lines of HTML, and a few more lines of CSS, you can add a new sheet style to be available for all players. There's a guide for doing so at the start of the CSS sheet. I'll soon add these changes to my pull request, feel free to suggest new color themes if you so choose, the list of variables is in the pull comment.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Tame Flame That is a nice optional idea, something MadCoder and I have talked about and had filed it for future options. Although my personal view is it makes the sheet look very busy, it ca be a nice option for some others. Please work with MadCoder on this to coordinate a PULL request. Great work and thanks again for this. Mike W
Flame
Sheet Author
Fair enough. The pull request doesn't seem to create any conflicts with the main branch of your repo. Do check it a bit though, I'm not really familiar with the entire use cases for it.

Edited 1586919466
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Latest Updates Version 2.3.2  – PULL 04/14/2020 – Was Uns uccessful ?? We are not sure why the PULL request failed at this time. UPDATE : See Further Update below.
Flame
Sheet Author
Was that my PR, or yours for the roll20 main fork?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Mike W. said: Latest Updates Version 2.3.2  – PULL 04/14/2020 – Was Uns uccessful We are not sure why the PULL request failed at this time. To me it looks like the PR was merged . Did it not update to Roll20? That is weird, but slightly different issue.

Edited 1586896544
Flame
Sheet Author
Oh, MadCoder , should I make the PR to your fork? Edit: Trying to rebase my changes for your fork, pay no attention to the pull request I made to it yet.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Further Update The PULL request did succeed as the merge of the code is shown however the sheet itself within Roll20 did not update. I noticed this for a few other sheets. We are awaiting a responce form Roll20 as to whathad happened. In the mean time, the current version works fine so your games are not affected. Mike W
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Mike W. said: The PULL request did succeed as the merge of the code is shown however the sheet itself within Roll20 did not update. I noticed this for a few other sheets. We are awaiting a responce form Roll20 as to whathad happened. Roll20 just pushed live this week's Char Sheet Changes, and I just opened the GURPS sheet to version 2.3.2

Edited 1586971325
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Latest Updates Version 2.3.2  – PULL 04/15/2020 –  Successful General Tab. Fix rounding error for jumping distance. General Tab. Allow negative values for Air Move modifier and Water Move modifiers. Reported by James W. Combat Tab. Active Defenses. Hide checkbox when the Modify button is clicked. Reported by Charles. Combat Tab. Active Defenses. Fix alignment issues. Verified on Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge (chromium). General Tab. Current HP and Current FP tooltip. Thresholds were not updating when max HP or FP were updated. This should be fixed. Traits Tab. Add some gutter space to perks and quirks tables. Mike W

Edited 1587054477
Glad to see this running strong. Probably the best free resource to play gurps online yet. It is satisfying to look back and see how every little change added up to so much and made more and more people interested. Big thank you to the entire community!
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Valter, you and everyone else we say thank you. We greatly appreciate a complement like yours. Mike W
Hey all, Can i use macros on base value of active defenses? Tks!
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Georgeton C. said: Hey all, Can i use macros on base value of active defenses? Tks! Hi Georgeton C., Yes, you should be able to write your own macros using the active defenses. If you hover the mouse cursor over a field you should see a popup showing you the field name and if it's a repeating table it will show the repeating table name and field name. Ken
Hey guys, just wanted to say what an amazing work you are doing here. Thank you for that. Yesterday I ran my first GURPS game on Roll20 and I have to say I was enjoying it more than expected, given the fact online gaming was never something I would be looking for. Keep it up, you just made a fan here.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Svarog said: Hey guys, just wanted to say what an amazing work you are doing here. Thank you for that. Yesterday I ran my first GURPS game on Roll20 and I have to say I was enjoying it more than expected, given the fact online gaming was never something I would be looking for. Keep it up, you just made a fan here. Thank you so very much for your praise and also thank you for GMing a GURPS game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike W

Edited 1587409025
mrianmerry
Sheet Author
Hi guys; great work on the sheet (it's really one of the nicest I've had the pleasure of using on roll20!) I come with a question for how best to use it, though, for entering and tracking the cost of the optional Combination  techniques that are presented in Martial Arts, p80. How best do you think these can be handled using the GURPS sheet, and not using any other macros? What I've tried so far using the revised techniques table: This lets me at least track the points cost of the technique properly, and I was hoping to be able to make a technique's parent be a technique so that I can set something like this up: However, for this to work I'd need to be able to set a repeating technique as the parent -  only "Skill" and "Spell" are current options  - and also to be able to calculate a mod, rather than enter a flat base value. (This would allow me to reference the level field of the technique where I've tracked the points cost for the combination.) Thanks for any time and input, and once more: great work so far! The sheet is really smooth and easy to use.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Ian said: Hi guys; great work on the sheet (it's really one of the nicest I've had the pleasure of using on roll20!) I come with a question for how best to use it, though, for entering and tracking the cost of the optional Combination  techniques that are presented in Martial Arts, p80. How best do you think these can be handled using the GURPS sheet, and not using any other macros? What I've tried so far using the revised techniques table: This lets me at least track the points cost of the technique properly, and I was hoping to be able to make a technique's parent be a technique so that I can set something like this up: However, for this to work I'd need to be able to set a repeating technique as the parent -  only "Skill" and "Spell" are current options  - and also to be able to calculate a mod, rather than enter a flat base value. (This would allow me to reference the level field of the technique where I've tracked the points cost for the combination.) Thanks for any time and input, and once more: great work so far! The sheet is really smooth and easy to use. Thanks a lot for the input Ian! We'll add the ability to select a technique as a parent. We have other updates for the techniques tables since there are a lot of options for linking techniques, including to attributes. I was swamped with work last week so we didn't have any updates ready to go. We'll be working on updates for next Tuesday's set of updates. Ken
MadCoder said: Thanks a lot for the input Ian! We'll add the ability to select a technique as a parent. We have other updates for the techniques tables since there are a lot of options for linking techniques, including to attributes. I was swamped with work last week so we didn't have any updates ready to go. We'll be working on updates for next Tuesday's set of updates. Ken That sounds fantastic, and thanks for the response. I'd love to help out as Tame Flame did, but alas my HTML is incredibly sub-par so I'm sure it'd just be more hindrance than help. Cheering you on from the sidelines!
Is it me or is there no advantages/disadvantage/Skill database?
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Jesper V. said: Is it me or is there no advantages/disadvantage/Skill database? Hi Jesper V.,  That is correct, in order to do that we would have to use a compendium, similar to the D&D 5e sheets, but that requires direct support from Steve Jackson games, they would have to create the compendium, make it available on the market place, then the character sheet can implement drag and drop functionality.  Ken
That would be the dream! But I doubt it will ever happen, and probably due to the same reasons they're opposed to agreeing to licensed apps on mobile stores
Another question. How do i put in a set of armor?
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Ian said: That would be the dream! But I doubt it will ever happen, and probably due to the same reasons they're opposed to agreeing to licensed apps on mobile stores Yes, from what I've read, I have to agree with you.